Player Report for newbies

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
RHLPresident
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Player Report for newbies

Post by RHLPresident »

Hi,

I've been using STHS Version 2 for a few years now.

Although I love Version 2 and I remember that I chose Version 2 over Version 3 because of some features that was missing (can't recall for the life of me), a GM in my league brought to my attention something that Version 3 exclusively does.

I looked into the Player Report and love what it does BUT I'm not sure I understand the step-by-step required.

Would it be possible to get a more in-depth explanation how the options work in Output Options - V3 tab and most specifically the Dynamic Website URL section.

Just an FYI but the RHL uses its own Joomla website so I was wondering if this would interfere since the section is called Dynamic Website URL after all ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Player Report for newbies

Post by SimonT »

Version 3 has a brand new website way more powerful than version 2. It should integrate in Joomla. (My view is that if you integrated version 2 website, you should be able to integrated version 3 website). If you want to see version 3 website, see here : http://sths.simont.info/WebsiteDemo/

Then you can look at the manual for information about specific option.

Or even better, used version 3 demo version to try it out.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

I think there was a misunderstanding.

I know V3 has a lot more options than V2.

BUT I don't use the dynamic website template that most leagues use, I built a Joomla website with links to the URL pages that the simulator creates;

http://www.retrohockeyleague.com/joomla/

What I need is further details (a step-by-step would be awesome) on the specific section as outlined in my previous message in Version 3 (Output Options - V3 tab and most specifically the Dynamic Website URL section).

I looked on the forum and couldn't find somebody with the same issue. Also, I've looked in the V3 Manual but I need more details how to use that section than what is explained there.

Is there a way you could point me in the right direction please ?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

RHLPresident wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 pm BUT I don't use the dynamic website template that most leagues use, I built a Joomla website with links to the URL pages that the simulator creates;
All the webpage in version 3 has change. They are much better now. You could simply change your link to the new URL from the version 3 website.

Your question for me is very unclear. Again, I recommend testing the demo version of STHS V3 using the "Version 3 Website Suggested Options" option to see the behavior. Seeing will allow to understand quite a lot.
-SimonT
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

Well my question as mentioned in the title is for newbies since I have no idea what to do in that particular section...

What do I put under Menu Custom URL Title and Link 1 and 2 .... ?

What should I put under Mug Shot Base URL and Mug Shot File Extension ? (I know it's related to NHL ID but will it work with HockeyDB for instance?)

Then, how does it work after filling out those cases ? Those the simulator exports the Player Report and the Goalie Report as shown in the demo version ?

It might sound easy and straightforward from a developer's point of view but the explanation in the Manual are incomplete for somebody who never used that tool before.

Can you please give a more detailed explanation to the questions above ?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

RHLPresident wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am What do I put under Menu Custom URL Title and Link 1 and 2 .... ?
Whatever you want. The manual is clear for me on this.
Manual wrote:This section allows you add 2 custom links and their corresponding title in the website header, under the Main section
RHLPresident wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am What should I put under Mug Shot Base URL and Mug Shot File Extension ? (I know it's related to NHL ID but will it work with HockeyDB for instance?)

Then, how does it work after filling out those cases ? Those the simulator exports the Player Report and the Goalie Report as shown in the demo version ?
If you try the "Version 3 Website Suggested Options" option in the Bonus Section, those options will be fill out automatically. Again the manual is pretty clear
Manual wrote:It also allows you define a ‘Mug shot Base Url’ (The option should be "http://cdn.nhle.com/photos/mugs/" without the quote) and ‘Mug Shot File Extension’ (The option should be "jpg" without the quote"). With those 2 options fill and by filling the NHL Players ID in the Edit Players Windows, the Player’s Report and Goalie’s Report dynamic webpage will show the NHL player’s mug shot from the NHL website.
-SimonT
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

I think we are going around in circles here.

I was under the impression that this section was to recreate this page in the demo; http://sths.simont.info/WebsiteDemo/Pla ... layer=1405

I am looking particularly at the tab called Career Pro Stat.

Basically, I was looking into recreating this;

https://www.nhl.com/player/steven-stamkos-8474564

Not the header but particularly the personal info and the Career Pro Stats.

I already used the Career Pro Stats add-on which is great to give a summary but I want a detailed Career Pro Stat like in the demo which shows EACH SEASON STATS.

Can that particular tab do that in the Output Options or am I looking at the wrong place in the STHS ?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

You are looking at the wrong space. You should be looking at section 8.16.2 - CareerStat (Version 3 Only).

And it only work if you have version 3. It doesn't work on version 2.
-SimonT
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

Ok so to recreate the page I am looking for here; http://sths.simont.info/WebsiteDemo/Pla ... layer=1405 with the Career Pro Stat by season can be done with the Career Stat ?

If so, how?

Again, sorry for all the questions but I couldn't get that result like in the demo, only a total of all seasons.
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

Ok I think I get it now after outputing all pages from Version 3 using my league file from my Version 2 but here is my new issue ...

Everything is output as PHP file and not HTML file .... I know these are 2 different languages and PHP is a more dynamic language but I have no idea how to integrate PHP compared to basic HTML pages ...

How can I go back to HTML pages with all these new reports ?

(Because I've been reading on PHP and this is beyond my knowledge or comfort zone to be honest, if there is no way to output files as HTML pages instead of PHP and I can't somehow convert them, I'll stick to Version 2 unfortunately .....)
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

The new reports are only available in PHP. PHP is a server-side programming language that create HTML code on the fly. You can integrate them exactly like you integrate the HTML one.

You can do back to HTML but you’ll have the version 2 page and you don’t have the Player Report with Career Stat Integration.
-SimonT
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

I think I understand what you mean but here's the thing;

I use Filezilla everyday to upload all the HTML files from Version 2 to my website. And then, my Joomla website is basically with a bunch of HTML links.

I have no idea how to use PHP files in that capacity ...

I guess I'll have to read a lot about PHP files before I can even think about switching to STHS Version 3 in that case ...
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

Simply manage the PHP links like HTML links. It's the same thing for a web browser.
-SimonT
RHLPresident

Post by RHLPresident »

When I try this; http://www.retrohockeyleague.com/Season ... Report.php

Look at the result ....

Database file not found on all PHP pages ....

Is there something I'm doing wrong ?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

You didn't upload the SQLite database in your website.
-SimonT