Ratings for the 2.1 Engine now available!!

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Ratings for the 2.1 Engine now available!!

Post by 36Henry »

The Introduction:

Since it's release in September 2011, the 2.1 simulation engine has largely misunderstood, ignored and/or abused by the community. This continues to be an absolute mystery to me. Coming up it's fourth birthday, the community has yet to realize that the 2.1 is the most fantastic simulation engine available. There's not one single ratings package available that fully utilizes the awesome power of the 2.1 engine. That's why I've finally decided to make my ratings available to others. The 2.1 deserves to be experienced properly by the STHS community.

So for the first time I am making my ratings available to the larger community. I began playing in Sim leagues almost 15 years ago (Mike Keane was a much sought after defensive forward at the time). Gradually I got more and more frustrated with the quality of the ratings available at the time and soon took my first wobbly steps towards making my own. By putting in the necessary time and effort I gained more and more of an understanding for how the simulation worked. Soon the ratings were producing very accurate results.

With the release of the 2.1 engine the game changed. Suddenly much of the randomness that had (imo) plagued previous versions was gone and simulations were far more accurate. The 2.1 definitely has very unique characteristics, but I outright love it!

For the past several years I haven't been in any leagues at all with work and family taking up a lot of my free time during the hockey season. But I still very much enjoy making ratings after the conclusion of the hockey season when I have more time on my hands.

The Ratings:

These ratings are unique; the only set of ratings that are custom made specifically for the 2.1 engine. Having extensively worked with the 2.1 I can guarantee you that there is a very good reason why there hasn’t been a 2.2 (and why I haven't touched the 1.5 since the V2 came out); 2.1 is simply a fantastic engine. It provides a simulation experience that is second to none in comparison with previous versions, provided you have a set of ratings designed to work with it.

That’s where these ratings come in. For the several years now I have been building ratings, either for leagues I’ve been in or for my own amusement. Last year I was approached by one member of this community who asked if I would be willing to provide his league with a set of ratings. I did, and happily the feedback was very positive. So much so that they will be using my ratings again this season. With the success of that partnership I decided to see if there are other leagues out there looking to leave the 1.5 era behind and finally step into the modern era of hockey simulation.

I have seen other creators on these forums (whose efforts are much appreciated) claiming their product is made to work with the 2.0 and 2.1 engines. Many of them have the top players rated around 50 in the skill categories in order to do so. This is because these ratings aren’t made for the 2.1 engine, but rather the old and badly flawed 1.5 engine. Just because you can browse the internet on the old dial-up modem if you turn almost everything down to a bare minimum, doesn't mean it's how you best experience what the internet has to offer.

These ratings are different. They ARE made specifically for the 2.1 engine! The top players ARE rated in the 90’s for the skill categories! And NOTHING in the simulation is unrealistic because of it! The 2.1 engine is amazing if used correctly. And this is how you use it correctly.

The Details:

These ratings are based on the past two NHL seasons (regular season and playoffs both included), where the 2015 season accounts for 67% of the base values and the 2014 season for the remaining 33%.

All ratings are based on multiple statistics, both traditional and advanced. The formulas used to create these ratings have been used and refined over several years in order to produce the most accurate depiction possible of the game.

The Numbers:

The following stats are compiled averages from five simulated seasons using the final version of the ratings. The line combinations for each team was set manually to be as close to their real-life lines as possible in order to get ice-times and line-mates to be realistic.

First, the overall data for the league is presented which is the best reference for how accurately the ratings produce realistic gameplay in the 2.1 engine.

Next, a few randomly selected goalies to illustrate how their performance compares to their NHL 2014/15 season.

Next, a few skaters measured against their NHL 2014/15 numbers. On the far right each player displays his PA and SC ratings to show everyone that in order to use the 2.1 engine you don't have to keep players rated in the 50's to avoid unrealistic scoring, provided you know what you're doing. For reference, Sidney Crosby was the top scorer with 39 goals, 67 assists and 106 points.

And finally, a look at a few teams compared to how they did in 2014/15.

The Price:

Given the unique quality of the product, and the amount of time spent creating it, these ratings will only be made available to serious leagues who are dedicated to playing the game and who want to have the best simulation experience available.

The ratings come in two price ranges:

No class: $75 US dollars.
DeLuxe class: $100 US dollars.

With the DeLuxe package the customer will receive full support and detailed instructions as far as preferred Sim settings and Overall formulas to get the most out of the ratings. Customers who opt for the cheaper package will not receive these services, only the ratings.

DeLuxe customers who will want to purchase the DeLuxe package again next year will then be able to do so at the No class price, so the extra $25 dollars this year will be a nice investment for future seasons.

Custom Ratings:

I am also willing to create ratings to other specifications. If anyone out there would like to get a functioning set of ratings for the 2.1 Engine (for example an NHL set based on just the 2015 season, or a historic set based on a season from many years ago, or for a non-NHL league, or whatever requests are out there) feel free to send me a pm and explain what you would like to have and maybe we can come to an agreement.

If you are interested in buying the ratings, or if you have any questions, please contact me via Private Message here on this forum and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.
august
The Crazy / Le Fou

Re: Ratings for the 2.1 Engine now available!!

Post by august »

I can confirm that this is the best rating you will found for the version 2.1.

This will be our second year with this rating.
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

Having browsed these forums this morning and having seen people's struggles with older engines and their struggles to understand the 2.1, I thought I'd just throw up another little preview of what these ratings produce.

So here's a look at the Columbus Blue Jackets. As in the OP, the stats below are an average compiled over five simulated seasons using the finished ratings.

People who have complained about the 2.1 engine in the past have often said the #1 line does all the scoring. Plainly, that is just not the case when done correctly.

As a team the Blue Jackets went 42-32-8 on average over the five simulated seasons. As a comparison if you take their 2014/15 and 2013/14 NHL records and weigh them in the same way the ratings were constructed ((2014/15 x 2 + 2013/14 x 1)/3) you get:

2014/15 - 42-35-5
2014/15 - 42-35-5
2013/14 - 43-32-7

That's an average NHL record of 42-34-6 for the Blue Jackets, two points off what they did in the simulation.

NHL - 42-34-6
Ratings - 42-32-8
august
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by august »

Sorry it's in french, but this is the result of my test, using this rating for the 2nd year. We are only 18 teams, so we have to ajust the setting of goal and PP a little bit lower.

Marqueurs de 70 pts et plus:
NHL 19, LHSM 19
Le 30e marqueurs NHL = 64 pts, LHSM = 63 pts
Meilleur marqueur NHL 87 pts avec Benn, LHSM 107 pts avec Ovechkin, (Benn à fait 81 pts)

Meilleur buteur NHL Ovechkin 53 buts, LHSM, Ovechkin 54 buts
10 meilleur buteur NHL = 33but, LHSM 34 buts

Meilleur passeur NHLBackstrom 60 passe, LHSM Thornton 72 passes
10e passeur NHL 48 passes, LHSM 47 passes

Meilleur pointeur def
NHL 66 pts, LHSM 57 pts

Gardien
pourcentage d'arrêt
NHL .941, LHSM .935
10e NHL avec plus de 25 parties .923, LHSM .922

Meilleur moyenne Holtby avec 1.85, le 10e est à 2.22 avec Schneider.
august
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by august »

So I don't think you will found any rating better then this with rls 2.1.

Thanks again!!!

Danny