2016 - 2017 Bar Down Ratings Package (Free) 2nd Edition

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
JoeBrosky
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

2016 - 2017 Bar Down Ratings Package (Free) 2nd Edition

Post by JoeBrosky »

I am very proud to present to the STHS community the second edition of the Bar Down Ratings Package! This package we have taken even more time developing and using the full spectrum of ratings given to us. The first thing you will notice is there raise in player overall compared to last season for both Forwards, Defenseman and Goalies.

Google Doc To The Ratings
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... S8/pubhtml

Bar Down Rating Highlights
- All players who have played 10 games in the AHL or NHL have been created!
- Ratings are purely based on statistics and advanced statistics
- All player stats are 100% based on the 2015-2016 season except for PS, DU, EX, LD (which are based on the past 2 seasons
- I used a full scale of ratings starting with a possible 99 in a certain category (more in depth compared to last season)
- Tested for version 1.5 but I expect very similar results in 2.0 and 2.1 if you adjust the sliders accordingly.
- Each test I ran, typically only 3 forwards got over 100 points
- Each test I ran, typically only 1-3 defenseman got over 70 points
- I ran these tests with 20 scoring, 70 shots, 20 penalties, and 30 injuries.
- NEW We enforced 30% line max for each line thus resulting in REALISTIC time played for forwards as forwards were playing 18-20 minutes per game with these new settings, thus resulting in much better results and better scoring from the third and fourth lines
- I recommend staying in the ranges of 20-25 scoring, 65-75 shots, 20-30 penalties, and 25-35 injuries. 30-35% line max
- Top players put up more points when lined together
- There may be an occasional lone outlier (usually if there a stacked line) but this only occurred once every couple of test runs!
- Ratings file is 100% FREE and can be located in the downloads section on the STHS website!
- Defenseman scoring is down a bit in this new package

For an example of how a category such as SC (Scoring) was done, I broke it down into specific statistical categories. A good example would be any player who scored 30 goals was put into a range of a SC rating between 89-91 scoring depending on the amount of goals scored, shots, shooting %, games played etc. Obviously I started with Ovechkin with a 99 scoring rating and worked our way down from there to maximize the spectrum of ratings

A category such as DF was done by advanced stats such as corsi%, defensive zone efficiency, defensive zone starts, etc.
We have paid much more attention to DF for forwards as well and you will notice this is a large reason to defenseman scoring being down and much more realistic.

TEST RUN EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a test run I used with the rosters of a leagues that I manage. Keep in mind these leaders will obviously be different based on the teams in YOUR league, but I was very pleased with the results after a week of fine tuning and multiple sims! The results below are what seemed to occur in terms of point total practically every sim!

http://i.imgur.com/sVOtShv.jpg - League Leader Scoring (A bit more realistic compared to last years package)
http://i.imgur.com/lztjBd2.jpg - Defenseman Scoring (Much better compared to last years package)
http://i.imgur.com/YD1nIaM.jpg - Goalie Stats (this seemed to be the general numbers with goalies interchanging)

Once again this is a result of one of our leagues. Player point totals will obviously vary in every league being players will be lined with different players and the balance of other teams may be more competitive or less competitive depending upon your league.

Obtaining The Ratings File
The ratings package WILL BE in the downloads section on the STHS homepage, once emailed to Simon
You can also email me for the ratings at: [email protected]

NOTE
Fighting and Penalty shots are yet to be completed.
Last edited by JoeBrosky on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tank7
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: 2016 - 2017 Bar Down Ratings Package (Free) 2nd Edition

Post by tank7 »

This is great, I love the ratings for my league. thanks so much, great work. now one question, will there be a 3rd Edition of the ratings released with the fighting and penalty shots updated? And is this in the downloads section now on the homepage?
Felicity

Post by Felicity »

Kudos to you for putting this together. Looks great, and I really appreciate you doing this.
I'm looking for some clarification though, please:
"- All player stats are 100% based on the 2014-2015 season except for PS, DU, EX, LD (which are based on the past 2 seasons"

Is that supposed to say 2015-2016 instead?
JiriHrdina

Post by JiriHrdina »

I see a lot of recommendations to use the 1.5 engine. What specific sim features are not included in 1.5? 3 on 3 overtime? Anything else?
JoeBrosky

Post by JoeBrosky »

Felicity wrote:Kudos to you for putting this together. Looks great, and I really appreciate you doing this.
I'm looking for some clarification though, please:
"- All player stats are 100% based on the 2014-2015 season except for PS, DU, EX, LD (which are based on the past 2 seasons"

Is that supposed to say 2015-2016 instead?
Correct, I copy and pasted last years post and forgot to edit that to 2015-2016 haha thanks.
JoeBrosky

Post by JoeBrosky »

JiriHrdina wrote:I see a lot of recommendations to use the 1.5 engine. What specific sim features are not included in 1.5? 3 on 3 overtime? Anything else?
1.5 seems to be the best overall engine and most consistent in terms of player scoring and good teams actually doing good. It also has the best balance in scoring I find. The other ones are extremely reliant upon 1st lines and very random results compared to 1.5
JoeBrosky

Post by JoeBrosky »

I am emailing Simon the STR file now to be located in the Downloads section sometime tomorrow!
JiriHrdina

Post by JiriHrdina »

Thanks for the insight. Whavgt key features does one lose by moving to 1.5?
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

The rating file is now available on the Rating 2016 Download Zip files. Thanks.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
chlmaster

Post by chlmaster »

Thank you Bar Down! The ratings worked perfectly. Except we have no coaches.
tank7
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by tank7 »

Thanks, will be using your ratings. Nice Work
Simon Beaudoin
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Simon Beaudoin »

Two little mistakes in ratings.

Phillip Di Guiseppe (ratings) should be Phil Di Giuseppe

Birthdate of Philip Grubauer sould be Nov 25, 1991
Simon Beaudoin
Commissaire FHLQ
20e année d'existence
http://www.fhlq.com
powerdyne6
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by powerdyne6 »

Hey guys just wondering when FG and PS will be updated

Thanks
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

powerdyne6 wrote:Hey guys just wondering when FG and PS will be updated
I asked for this same thing last year. Skating and fighting still makes absolutely no sense! Otherwise this would be a pretty decent ratings pack. It does seem that Joe has put a lot more effort into improving other areas, particularly with defensemen, so that's a plus.
JoeBrosky

Post by JoeBrosky »

Owen wrote:
powerdyne6 wrote:Hey guys just wondering when FG and PS will be updated
I asked for this same thing last year. Skating and fighting still makes absolutely no sense! Otherwise this would be a pretty decent ratings pack. It does seem that Joe has put a lot more effort into improving other areas, particularly with defensemen, so that's a plus.
What is wrong with the Skating ratings? They are taken in terms of who the best skaters are in terms of speed, balance, agility, acceleration, etc. We are given an algorithm and use a very reliable source for the skating ratings that actually ranks players on their overall skating abilities, it isn't like we pull these numbers from out of our ass lol.

Fighting and Penalty Shots will be finished probably within another 2 weeks or so. On vacation at the moment.