NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
pioniere
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 pm

NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by pioniere » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Hello,

With the announcement that the DVHL would no longer be doing ratings, the NAIHL has stepped into the void in an attempt to produce the most accurate ratings possible.

The first thing with the process is that it must be impartial and calculated without bias. These ratings do that. These ratings are provided as-is, with no warranty implied or otherwise :)

The ratings use a rough "bell curve" to have the highest rating for an attribute at 95 and the lowest at 50. So for example only 5 goalies will achieve an individual attribute rating between 91-95, but 15 will be between 71-75 and 66-70 each.

The ratings are based on a composite of stats from NHL.com, and the average ratings from four other sets of ratings available on the STHS site.

The SK,EX,LD,PO are calculated for all skaters and goaltenders. A composite of other posted ratings that were then curved.

CK - 80% NHL hits 20% Strength
FG - 70% Ratio of Major PIM to total PIM, 20% PIM, 10% ST
DI - 100% PIM
ST - 80% Weight, 20% height
DU - 70% GP, 30% TOI
PH - 60% ratio turn overs to total points, 20% PA, 20% SC
FO - 50% FOT, 50% FO%
PA - 100% Assists
SC - 100% Goals
DF - 40% SH TOI, 40% +/-, 20% BS+TA

Stats were projected for each player to a 82 game total. Players with less than 5 games played were reduced by 40%, 6-10 30%, 11-20 20%, and 21-40 10%. This was down to limit anomalies of players who just play a few games and have a point per game.

Salaries for all players are set to 1 year at $1,111,111.

Here is the link to the ratings .csv file: http://naihl.net/NAIHL200809Ratings.csv

Enjoy!

NAIHLStars
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by NAIHLStars » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:17 am

pioniere wrote:Hello,

With the announcement that the DVHL would no longer be doing ratings, the NAIHL has stepped into the void in an attempt to produce the most accurate ratings possible.

The first thing with the process is that it must be impartial and calculated without bias. These ratings do that. These ratings are provided as-is, with no warranty implied or otherwise :)

The ratings use a rough "bell curve" to have the highest rating for an attribute at 95 and the lowest at 50. So for example only 5 goalies will achieve an individual attribute rating between 91-95, but 15 will be between 71-75 and 66-70 each.

The ratings are based on a composite of stats from NHL.com, and the average ratings from four other sets of ratings available on the STHS site.

The SK,EX,LD,PO are calculated for all skaters and goaltenders. A composite of other posted ratings that were then curved.

CK - 80% NHL hits 20% Strength
FG - 70% Ratio of Major PIM to total PIM, 20% PIM, 10% ST
DI - 100% PIM
ST - 80% Weight, 20% height
DU - 70% GP, 30% TOI
PH - 60% ratio turn overs to total points, 20% PA, 20% SC
FO - 50% FOT, 50% FO%
PA - 100% Assists
SC - 100% Goals
DF - 40% SH TOI, 40% +/-, 20% BS+TA

Stats were projected for each player to a 82 game total. Players with less than 5 games played were reduced by 40%, 6-10 30%, 11-20 20%, and 21-40 10%. This was done to limit anomalies of players who just play a few games and have a point per game.

Salaries for all players are set to 1 year at $1,111,111.

Here is the link to the ratings .csv file: http://naihl.net/NAIHL200809Ratings.csv

Enjoy!
The goalie and skater ratings for SK,EX,LD, and PO were derived by using the process of averaging the ratings of other published ratings, ranking each attribute, and then applying a bell curve.

The CK,FG,DI, ST,DU,PH,FO,PA,SC,and DF for skaters were derived from downloading NHL stats, using a table for each stat, and using the stats and weights as described above. For example the defense rating was obtained by using 40% short handed time on ice, 40% +/-, and 20% blocked shots + takeaways. Each of those stats were then compare to a table using a lookup function. Each table also had a slight curve to them. For example with SC forward table a player with 10 pro-rated (over 82 games and adjusted by % above for less than 40 games played) goals has a SC 60, 20G SC 70, 35G SC 80, and 50G SC90 (with each SC # filled in between).

We have been around SIM hockey for a long time. Our goal was to help fill the void left by DVHL. We hope you enjoy the ratings. If there is some aspect you do not like, use what you like and change the others yourself. One thing we did do was follow a process and made no manual adjustments to any players individual ratings. These ratings also only include players who played in the NHL last year and are only based on last year's NHL stats. Next year (with more pre-planned time) we hope to do more with the goalie ratings.

SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS
Posts: 13542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:18 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by SimonT » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi. I'll post in the download section. What would you like me to add in the credit text file?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français

Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by Kramden23 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for your time and effort in putting these together!

I just had one question though, and I apologize if I missed it in your explanation. Doing a quick glance there were ratings for two players that kind of stuck out....JM Liles with a SC of 81, and Wideman with a SC of 81. Liles had 12g in 75 games, Wideman 13g in 79 games. So I was just wondering how their SC rating got so high, when players who had more goals have lower SC ratings, like Boyes 78SC but had 33g in 82 games. Thanks.....
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!

NAIHLStars
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by NAIHLStars » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:22 pm

Kramden23 wrote:Thanks for your time and effort in putting these together!

I just had one question though, and I apologize if I missed it in your explanation. Doing a quick glance there were ratings for two players that kind of stuck out....JM Liles with a SC of 81, and Wideman with a SC of 81. Liles had 12g in 75 games, Wideman 13g in 79 games. So I was just wondering how their SC rating got so high, when players who had more goals have lower SC ratings, like Boyes 78SC but had 33g in 82 games. Thanks.....
Good question. Basically there were different tables used for d-men and forwards. 13 goals for a d-man like Wideman put him in the top 15 for goals among d-men. 33 g for Boyes puts him at at about #20 for goals among forwards.

tank7
The Passion One / Le Passionné
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by tank7 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Great Work. They look good. Probably the closest to DVHL. I like them alot and appreciate your time in doing this and hope for more to come in the years ahead.

I will be using them, can't wait. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by Marc the Habs Fan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:15 pm

I like the ratings, but here are my 2 issues:

I really think you are going to see highly inflated scoring numbers from defenceman with these ratings.

As a comparison, 2007-08 top D scorers in the NHL:

Mike Green - 18 goals - He got a 73 SC from DVHL last summer
Dion Phaneuf - 17 goals - He got a 74 SC from DVHL last summer
Zdeno Chara - 17 goals - He got a 73 SC from DVHL last summer

SC in the 90's could lead to 40+ goals from some of these defenceman.

Also, some guys who are usually excellent players and had productive 08-09's when healthy but suffered injuries (Brodeur, Morrow, etc) seemed to get really punished I find, yet Gonchar and Gaborik got great ratings for great 08-09's in limited playing time.
Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2M4B - online since 2003-2004
http://www.2m4b.com

sebasmoss
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:35 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by sebasmoss » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Same as you here !!

And one more thing, 40% for the +/- to evaluate DF rating too much, i mean Blake Wheeler have 79DF and he's SH TOI/G is 1:11. Maybe DF - 40% SH TOI, 20% +/-, 40% BS+TA ... player like Wheeler finish like +30 at the end of the season didnt mean that he's a good two way player.

But great work, im just wondering if its possible for you to re-adjuste with the formulafor my league if its easy for you, i can pay if you want !

sebassgod@hotmail.com

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH !

NAIHLStars
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by NAIHLStars » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 pm

sebasmoss wrote:Same as you here !!

And one more thing, 40% for the +/- to evaluate DF rating too much, i mean Blake Wheeler have 79DF and he's SH TOI/G is 1:11. Maybe DF - 40% SH TOI, 20% +/-, 40% BS+TA ... player like Wheeler finish like +30 at the end of the season didnt mean that he's a good two way player.

But great work, im just wondering if its possible for you to re-adjuste with the formulafor my league if its easy for you, i can pay if you want !

sebassgod@hotmail.com

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH !
I can run you another set with the d-men's SC lowered and DF going 40/20/40 instead of 40/40/20. It's a rather simple tweak. Tomorrow is booked and I've got a busy week coming up at work. It will probably be about a week.

sebasmoss
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:35 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by sebasmoss » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 am

Thanks man your my hero !!! LOVE YOU !! haha

Give me some news .. AWESOME !

Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by Kramden23 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:00 am

NAIHLStars wrote:I can run you another set with the d-men's SC lowered and DF going 40/20/40 instead of 40/40/20. It's a rather simple tweak.
I would like to get my hands on those as well when possible.
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!

SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS
Posts: 13542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:18 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Contact:

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by SimonT » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:20 am

Available in the download section under Rating2009
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français

Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by Kramden23 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:37 pm

SimonT wrote:Available in the download section under Rating2009
I meant the "new" set he said he was goin to run with some adjustments.
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!

NAIHLStars
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:29 am

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by NAIHLStars » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 am

Revised set with SC's lowered for d-men and the DF formula changed from 40/40/20 to 40/20/40 e-mailed to Simon.

At a quick glance I think I like the SC tweak, but I'm not as sure about the DF adjustment. Some players seem to make more sense and others less (ex Lidstrom is lower).

This is it for any tweaks this year.

One thing that would be helpful for me in evaluating the ratings would be to either post in this thread or PM me if your league is using either the original version of the rating or the new one, along with your leagues website. Midseason, I'd like to look at players stats for those using these ratings so I can get a better idea on which formulas to tweak some for next years ratings.

tank7
The Passion One / Le Passionné
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: NAIHL 2008-09 Ratings

Post by tank7 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:22 pm

GPHL is using your original Rates. Check us out during the year at http://gphl.org/home.php

Thanks.

Post Reply