New Custom Portal in testing

If you need help building your website, this is the place to hang out. If you're an HTML, PHP, Perl or web database geek, check it out. / Si vous avez besoin d'aide pour construire votre site web, c'est le forum à regarder! Si vous êtes un expert en HTML, PHP, Perl ou en base de données, c'est le forum pour vous!
senshockey
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

New Custom Portal in testing

Post by senshockey »

After two years of on and off development, my new custom portal for STHS has finally reached the point where I'm able to do some public testing with it. While I still have some features to develop, most are complete and I'm happy to show the community what I have built. Since I'm still in development, I haven't had much time to decide on a cost for the site and how much support will be offered but this is something I should have all sorted out by the end of the month when the testing and remaining features should be completed. This portal is completely standalone and does not rely on the dynamic site output by the simulator as many other sites on this forum do.

This new portal is basically a full rewrite of the SIMHL so you will notice some familiarity once you explore it. This was done intentionally so that GMs and Commishes would have an easier time navigating the site and accomplishing the tasks they've set out to do. It was built with responsive design in mind, meaning the site should render correctly (and differently, in some cases) on various difference devices whether it be a pc, tablet, phone. A number of new features from the former portal have been added to this new one. Notably, there have been major improvements done to the statistics sections with many new categories and advanced statistics added, and one of the bigger new features is game-by-game statistics for both skaters and goalies. The portal will include all graphics for players and nhl teams. It's important to note that it does not support any simulation of farm games, nor does it include a chat or any mechanism for extending/signing players to contracts - and none of these features are currently planned.

I'd like to invite you all to take a look at the site and provide me with some feedback, if any. As it is currently in public testing, I'd love if you could report any issues you come across while navigating the site and steps to reproduce them. And finally, any suggestions are welcome as well!

If you'd like to be involved with some of the testing, simply sign up for the waiting list and I will get in touch with you from there.

Thanks!
Showtime Hockey
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: New Custom Portal in testing

Post by Showtime Hockey »

I'm surprised there isn't more comment.

I would make a few more changes, but that's me because I'm thorough. :P

Maybe you will push me to share my project too. :)

Very nice work man. :wink:

Thumbs up!
Players Ratings - Auto Updated
Hawks GM & League President - Showtime Hockey
senshockey

Post by senshockey »

I was hoping for some comments/feedback as well but what can you do....

I'd love to hear about the changes you're thinking about!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.
august
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by august »

For me, I would be ready to pay yearly for something include in the STHS. I want something that I'm sure will always work with the latest release of STHS.

I pay 20$ a year for the licence of the STHS and I would be willing to pay an additional amount every year to have the option of a website similar to the one you did. Maybe that would be an easy way for you to sell the portal to a lot of leauge that would not buy it if not include in the STHS.
senshockey

Post by senshockey »

Yeah I've been in contact with a rating provider to put together an all inclusive package that include the portal, ratings and possibly even the hosting (to allow me to deploy new features and versions of the portal) which I think is a nice package that would appeal to a lot of leagues. The tricky part is finding the right price point where it makes sense for everyone involved. I'd love to even partner up with simon but last time I brought up that I was building a new portal he got quite upset and condoned my entire project so I don't see that happening lol
hscommish
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by hscommish »

senshockey wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:12 pm Yeah I've been in contact with a rating provider to put together an all inclusive package that include the portal, ratings and possibly even the hosting (to allow me to deploy new features and versions of the portal) which I think is a nice package that would appeal to a lot of leagues. The tricky part is finding the right price point where it makes sense for everyone involved. I'd love to even partner up with simon but last time I brought up that I was building a new portal he got quite upset and condoned my entire project so I don't see that happening lol
I would be interested in this service!
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

senshockey wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:12 pm Yeah I've been in contact with a rating provider to put together an all inclusive package that include the portal, ratings and possibly even the hosting (to allow me to deploy new features and versions of the portal) which I think is a nice package that would appeal to a lot of leagues. The tricky part is finding the right price point where it makes sense for everyone involved. I'd love to even partner up with simon but last time I brought up that I was building a new portal he got quite upset and condoned my entire project so I don't see that happening lol
I had the idea of doing hosting package also on my side also lately. But with the Dynamic Website because the BEST!

For your idea of the new portal, I'm simply piss off NOBODY improve my code, add new code or help me with graphic design. Everyone just do their stuff on their side like my dynamic website is crap.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
senshockey

Post by senshockey »

I’ve reviewed your dynamic website and I just don’t like the architecture you chose. And since this is a passion project, I chose to do it my way. If I was being paid, it would be a different situation.

That being said, I do believe my portal is one of the most comprehensive offerings available to leagues and a partnership could be beneficial to both of us. It would further allow you to focus on the simulator rather than both the sim and dynamic site. I’ve compared many sites in this forum being sold and I haven’t seen a stand-alone solution offered yet. Everything is basically layered over your dynamic site. If anything, those are the developers who should be helping you.
BeardCommish

Post by BeardCommish »

SimonT wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:23 pm I had the idea of doing hosting package also on my side also lately. But with the Dynamic Website because the BEST!

For your idea of the new portal, I'm simply piss off NOBODY improve my code, add new code or help me with graphic design. Everyone just do their stuff on their side like my dynamic website is crap.
I don't mean to throw cold water, but while you may love the portal site, it has far too many flaws that make it largely unusable...at least for me.

I am not a programmer and I do not understand (nor want to understand) coding. But crapping on someone for offering an alternative seems silly to me. It would lead to more people using the STHS simulator, potentially - which is good for you, Simon!

I agree - people should have helped make the portal site way better. No clue why they haven't. I know one league (EHE) has done TREMENDOUS work to make that portal site functional and working.

It would be nice if 3rd parties and Simon could be more agreeable - it would help the STHS community a TON. :)