3.0.8 'Pro Salary in Farm' counts against Pro Cap?

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

3.0.8 'Pro Salary in Farm' counts against Pro Cap?

Post by Owen »

Hi Simon,

I have a GM who sent a player to the farm who has a one-way contract. He is correctly making his full Pro salary in the minors. However, it appears that his salary is still counting against the salary cap. Because of this, the team is listed as being above the salary cap, which should not be the case.

May I ask why the all one-way contracts are counting towards the salary cap? You already have an option of "Farm Included in Salary Cap" that better suits it if anyone wants "Pro Salary in Farm" players to count towards the cap. The cap should strictly involve Pro players only if that option is turned off.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: 3.0.8 'Pro Salary in Farm' counts against Pro Cap?

Post by SimonT »

Owen wrote:May I ask why the all one-way contracts are counting towards the salary cap?
Yes. It's based on the "Pro Salary in Farm / 1 Way Contract Salary Cap %" option. One the idea of One Way Contracts is that they count against the cap when they are send in the farm.

P.S. Foo master this subject very well.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Yes, but why do they count against the salary cap? In real life, teams send one-way contract players to minors to get them OFF of the salary cap. Only players on the Pro roster should count towards the Pro cap, regardless of their contract status.
Elite Hockey Experience

We're not just any league. We're competitive. We're dedicated. We're ELITE!
Our website can be viewed in English, en Français & auf Deutsch!
www.elitehockeysim.com
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Set the option 1 Way Contract Salary Cap % to 0 in the players tab
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

And for your information:
"players’ full salaries cannot be buried in the minors or Europe anymore. Anything over the minimum salary plus $375,000 will count against the salary cap. Teams’ mistakes will now cost them dearly.

Call this the Wade Redden (or Jeff Finger) rule."

that is why this option was introduce with the new NHL CBA
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Foo wrote:Set the option 1 Way Contract Salary Cap % to 0 in the players tab
This does nothing. No matter what this is set as, the simulator still counts 100% of the one-way contract towards the cap.

Foo wrote:And for your information:
"players’ full salaries cannot be buried in the minors or Europe anymore. Anything over the minimum salary plus $375,000 will count against the salary cap. Teams’ mistakes will now cost them dearly.
That's only partially true. That's only for salaries over $950,000. Troy Grosenick is on a one-way deal and playing in the AHL. His contract doesn't count towards the Sharks' salary cap.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Owen wrote: This does nothing. No matter what this is set as, the simulator still counts 100% of the one-way contract towards the cap.
Impossible. The way it works is 100% of SALARY are paid but the % in the option count against the cap.. Example: 2M$ contract burried in the Farm will still be paid 2M$ in SALARY but will count 1M$ against the CAP if the option is set at 50% (works like a charm in my league).

For the other point, well it looks like complicated for Simon to fully get the Redden Rule in the STHS, but this option is better then nothing.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Keep in mind that the STHS use SalaryCapPerDay to calculate the CAP Space.. if you use TotalPlayersSalariesAverage you will end with bad totals... Simon doesn't want to correct that info so the TotalPlayersSalariesAverage will count 100% of OneWay like you said, but it is not used anywhere in the STHS in cap calculations.
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Foo wrote:
Owen wrote: This does nothing. No matter what this is set as, the simulator still counts 100% of the one-way contract towards the cap.
Impossible. The way it works is 100% of SALARY are paid but the % in the option count against the cap.. Example: 2M$ contract burried in the Farm will still be paid 2M$ in SALARY but will count 1M$ against the CAP if the option is set at 50% (works like a charm in my league).
No no no no no. You are not listening. It does not work! "One-Way Contract Salary Cap %" is set to '1' (because it will not let me do 0 :?:) and the player's one-way salary still counts as 100% against the cap.

The team Pro salary is $67,000,000. However, it lists as $68,750,000 because Nathan Gerbe's ENTIRE $1,750,000 salary is counting against the cap, even though he is in the minors. Look at the expenses and the estimates in the output. If the "One-Way Contract Salary Cap %" function worked properly, the team would not be over the cap. The only part where the function works correctly is:
  • Nathan Gerbe (1 Way Contract) $1,750,000 (3)
    -1 Way Contract Salary Cap : $17,500
but that is merely written data. If it actually acted this way, the simulator and the Estimate output would not say that the team is $1,450,000 over the salary cap of $67.3 million.

We are using the most basic salary cap calculation possible and it has nothing to do with that. $68,750,000 should be paid in pro salary. However, $67,000,000 (or $67,175,000 in this setup) should only count against the cap.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Well... that is what I'm trying to explain to Simon for probably a year and yet he still refuses to calculate the one way contract correctly ... In your case the right total should be this:

Salary Cap with 1 Way Contract
Year 2016 : $67,017,500.00

instead the STHS takes:

Salary Average Commitment
Year 2016 : $68,750,000.00

because you use basic calculations instead of complexe day to day calculations... For me that is a bug.. like I said, maybe you'll have better chance with Simon that I had!
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

Isn't the problem simply that Gerbe is counting against the cap twice (once on his full salary and once at his discounted rate of 1%)?

Tried recreating your scenario but couldn't get a player in his situation to show up twice like he does.
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Foo wrote:Well... that is what I'm trying to explain to Simon for probably a year and yet he still refuses to calculate the one way contract correctly ... In your case the right total should be this:

Salary Cap with 1 Way Contract
Year 2016 : $67,017,500.00

instead the STHS takes:

Salary Average Commitment
Year 2016 : $68,750,000.00

because you use basic calculations instead of complexe day to day calculations... For me that is a bug.. like I said, maybe you'll have better chance with Simon that I had!
Ah so it turns out we're on the same side in this! :P

Yeah if I were to have it as 25%, for example, it should count as 25% not 100%. (Plus, 0% needs to be allowed in the option.)
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

36Henry wrote:Isn't the problem simply that Gerbe is counting against the cap twice (once on his full salary and once at his discounted rate of 1%)?
Nah because it's not counting as $17,500 against the cap. It counts as $1,750,000 against the cap.
Elite Hockey Experience

We're not just any league. We're competitive. We're dedicated. We're ELITE!
Our website can be viewed in English, en Français & auf Deutsch!
www.elitehockeysim.com
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Owen wrote: Ah so it turns out we're on the same side in this! :P

Yeah if I were to have it as 25%, for example, it should count as 25% not 100%. (Plus, 0% needs to be allowed in the option.)
Yes! I don't use basic calculation so I did assume calculations were made with the same numbers... apparently not.

basic calculations use TotalProSalariesAverage that count 100% 1 way contract whatever the % you put in the options.
Complec calculations use a total of it's own that is not output anywhere to then divide it by remaining days of in the schedule to give you a Cap-per-Day. In this case the calculation of the CAP is correct but the numbers outputed in TotalProSalariesAverage is still false.
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Foo wrote:
Owen wrote: Ah so it turns out we're on the same side in this! :P

Yes! I don't use basic calculation so I did assume calculations were made with the same numbers... apparently not.

basic calculations use TotalProSalariesAverage that count 100% 1 way contract whatever the % you put in the options.
Complec calculations use a total of it's own that is not output anywhere to then divide it by remaining days of in the schedule to give you a Cap-per-Day. In this case the calculation of the CAP is correct but the numbers outputed in TotalProSalariesAverage is still false.
I hope you will fix this next update, Simon. That's a pretty significant bug, especially for teams close to the salary cap.