How Stars are chosen

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Re: How Stars are chosen

Post by Président ANHS »

SimonT wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:18 pm With a stop rare of 0.975, the goaler should get a star unless the 3 players had a very very good night.
.975 is too high. A goalie getting a win with 38 saves on 40 shots or 48 saves on 50 shots is only .950 and .960. The rate should be lowered to .930 or .940 to make sense...or .950 in the worst case. In my league, it would have to be down to .920 or .930 to make more sense.

It also all depends on the league settings for shots on goal and overall save %. Goalies with a .905 save % in my league are considered elite (much like the 80's goalies in the NHL) and therefore, shutouts are more rare and goalies don't get the rewards they should get more often than not.
Last edited by Président ANHS on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

Few thoughts on this topic. I'll start with saying that back in the day when I was playing in a league we didn't use the "official" boxscores at all. We'd grab all the data and run our own scripts for star selections, fight outcomes and stuff like that, to get closer to what we felt was a realistic result. By saying that I guess I'd put myself in the group that feels this is an area where the game could improve.

A couple of examples:

1. As for the game involving Reto Berra, he definitely had a good game. But more interesting for me in that game was seeing Jakub Vrana named third star ahead of his teammate Eric Tangradi. Both players scored a goal. Vrana played 15 minutes to Tangradi's 20. Vrana had 3 shots on goal to Tangradi's 10. Tangradi had 3 hits, Vrana none. Vrana getting picked third star over Tangradi looks odd to me (not that NHL stars aren't often picked on dubious grounds as well mind you).

2. With goalies being rated solely on their save percentage the following hypothetical scenario comes to mind.

Team A is playing Team B.
Team A outshoots Team B by a 51-12 margin.
The game remains scoreless through regulation and overtime.
Team B wins the game in a shootout by a 1-0 score.
Both goalies post shutouts.

Which goalie would be picked first for the Star of the game honors?

This is where I feel the workload of the goalies should/has to come into play along with the save percentage (and the win I suppose).

3. A possible "solution" would be to introduce a feature similar to the OA-formula giving each league the power to set "Star-formulas" for just this type of thing. I'm sure this would involve a lot of work though so not sure how feasible it really is.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hi everyone.

I have modified my formula for goalies. The SA is now taken into consideration. For 30 shots, the old formula and new give the same result. With each extra shot, the Star Power 3.333% better. With 50 shots, the star power is 50% better. The Star Power will be worse in the case of less than 30 shots.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Président ANHS »

Sounds like a good compromise! Thanks Simon!
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

Trying to get back into getting you more data to smarten up the Three Stars...

http://www.elitehockeysim.com/File/2017 ... LF-29.html

Rangers get two of the three stars in a 4-2 road loss
Elite Hockey Experience

We're not just any league. We're competitive. We're dedicated. We're ELITE!
Our website can be viewed in English, en Français & auf Deutsch!
www.elitehockeysim.com
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

You gave me idea to smarten thing more for next version.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français