Players rating

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Jaybee48
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Players rating

Post by Jaybee48 »

Hi,

How are specific ratings for each olayer calculated? Im trying to understand how a player like danault has 67 in scoring but players like caggiula and donato have 70 and 71! I think theyre using 2 calendar years for ratings, theres a bunch of example where danault has done better in the last 2 years compared to the previous 2 and his ratings went down!. Any info on this woukd be greatly appreciated.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Players rating

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

You should ask the rating creator. Everyone has their own way of doing rating.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Showtime Hockey
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by Showtime Hockey »

Jaybee48 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:58 pm Hi,

How are specific ratings for each olayer calculated? Im trying to understand how a player like danault has 67 in scoring but players like caggiula and donato have 70 and 71! I think theyre using 2 calendar years for ratings, theres a bunch of example where danault has done better in the last 2 years compared to the previous 2 and his ratings went down!. Any info on this woukd be greatly appreciated.
It's that simple.

Phillip Danault (67SC)
Total (last two seasons):
152GP - 25G
Average: 0.164G/GP

Ryan Donato (70SC)
118GP - 24G
Average: 0.203G/GP

Drake Caggiula (71SC)
95GP - 21G
Average: 0.221G/GP
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

While the post above is very simplified (goals per game is a pretty poor measure of SC), the overall fact is that Danault is much more of a passer than the other two. Caggiula and Donato score almost twice as many goals per 20 minutes of ice-time as Danault, while also shooting the puck with much higher frequency.
Showtime Hockey

36Henry wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 am While the post above is very simplified (goals per game is a pretty poor measure of SC), the overall fact is that Danault is much more of a passer than the other two. Caggiula and Donato score almost twice as many goals per 20 minutes of ice-time as Danault, while also shooting the puck with much higher frequency.
Explain me why G/GP is a bad measure for evaluating the scoring? Zach Hyman has better shooting percentage than David Pastrnak in the past 2 seasons... that doesn't make Hyman a better goals scorer than Pastrnak.

Of course, there are some adjustments to be made for players who have a low GP. But generally, the G/GP gives a good idea of the player's evaluation in terms of scoring.
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

It's not very difficult to explain that.

The simulation is based on a decision making formula where the player will either skate with the puck, pass the puck or shoot the puck. Goals per game says absolutely nothing about what tendencies the player has.

Going by goals per game reduces SC to a very simplified measure of goalscoring.

Take the three players mentioned in the OP. Danault plays five minutes more per game than Caggiula and over six minutes per game more than Donato. Over a full 82 game season Danault plays 400 minutes more than Caggiula and 500 minutes more than Donato. Using goals per game rather than goals per x minutes of ice-time becomes hugely inaccurate.

To illustrate this we can compare these three players. First, goals per game:

Danault 0.16
Caggiula 0.22
Donato 0.20

Then, goals per 20 minutes of ice-time:

Danault 0.18
Caggiula 0.33
Donato 0.34

Going by ice-time we see quite clearly that Danault is a far less frequent goal scorer than the other two. This view is further enhanced if we look at assists per 20 minutes where Danault's tendency towards passing the puck stands out:

Danault 0.54
Caggiula 0.27
Donato 0.34

Danault being much more of a passer than a shooter, which again is further enhanced if we look at shots (I'm too lazy right now to do this properly and include all shot attempts) per 20 minutes:

Danault 1.89
Caggiula 2.40
Donato 3.28

Just three simple stats to create a vision of how these three players behave with the puck on their stick. Danault tends to pass the puck far more than the other two, Caggiula is somewhere in the middle and Donato is much more of a shooter.

Of course, to build a very detailed set of ratings you would include many more stats than just these three (for example Key passes, primary assists and creativity per 20 minutes of ice-time to name a few), but these three alone provide a far greater insight into their tendencies than goals per game (which in truth reveals next to nothing about the type of player each guy is) ever will.

Goals per game suggested that the difference between these three players was 0.06 goals per game, in other words that these three players were very similar. The three other stats tell a widely different and far more accurate story, both on their own and when combined, as the actual style and tendencies of the players become much more detailed and varied.

As for shooting percentage, it certainly can have a role in this (and certainly more so for PH) but it's not even in the top 10 stats for the SC-rating in my opinion.
Showtime Hockey

I totally agree with you.

I really like the results obtained regarding goals/icetime.

Thank you for this example. I'll try for next season. :P