Huge disparity in points in engine 2.1

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Numero80
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Huge disparity in points in engine 2.1

Post by Numero80 »

I tried countless of the rating sheet into the simulator (engine 2.1) and it's always the same results: there's about 10 guys that get a huge amount of points and for the rest it goes down exponentially. Did you guys find a way to get even results? And it's super odd that in 20 full season simulation, it's always the same pair of players that gets the most points (even when I put the same PH and SK rating to all players).

Thanks!

p.s. I'm fully aware of the inversed skating.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Huge disparity in points in engine 2.1

Post by SimonT »

Did you try with rating build for 2.1 engine like the one Henry81 did?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Kitsune
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kitsune »

Yep .. very true if you dont get the results right, you kinda need to set them up like this (note this was for a 12 team league fictional league that failed without getting anyone interested in it)

Numero80

Post by Numero80 »

@SimonT Yes.

@Kitune, I applied what you showed me but... it gave me an even worse points distribution. I don't know if it's because there's 3-4 really trash teams in my league (24 teams), but, there's still a big a huge difference between the top players and the bottom. Also, with those ratios, even if I puy "goals" to 3 and "shots" to 10, it gave me crazy results (top player 220 pts and 98 goals).

Nevertheless, with MY data model, I am very close to what I want to reach, but I found this kind of lame that the top player gets 140 pts, and the 100th player gets only 40 pts. But I think the problem is how the simulator has been built, because, even if I put all the stats at 70-80 or 90 (SK, PH, SC, PA and DEF), it's always the same thing (extreme values at the top and little points for the bottom).
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

In the previous engine, people complain that "superstar" didn't have superstar stat. Engine 2.1 was build in that mindset so that but a lot of people still build rating where the difference between a superstar rating and normal players rating are too close.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Savard
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by Savard »

I had some good results last year after making the goalies pretty strong, maybe you want to try and play around with that.
36Henry

Post by 36Henry »

It's a game of averages. Sounds like the gap in talent between players at the top and bottom of the depth charts is quite large. Narrow the gap and the gap in points will do the same.

And it's not a simple matter of "inverse SK". It needs to be more sophisticated than that.
Numero80

Post by Numero80 »

I succeeded with thoses ratios :

**NOTE** It HIGHLY depends on the whole lot, and not only players signed by teams. So, if you're serious about this, you have to let go of every unnassigned players, each year, or else, your results will change a lot.

SC : between 55 to 75 (defenseman: max 67)
PA : between 55 to 80
PH : between 60 to 80 (inverted)
DF : between 50 to 94

Gaolies : between 74 to 87 in the stats (top 25 : between 80 to 87)

In the simulator :
Goals : 30
Penalties : 25
Shots : 30
Hits : 80
PowerPlay : 45

I got the same average than the NHL in every aspect (from points to hits), with a fluid distribution of the stats (not by levels).

Top scorer : 125 pts
100th scorer : 40 pts

@Simon T :
First thing : the results are a bit too random for the superstars (McDavid and Draisaitl rarely gets 100 pts+, despite being in an offensive team and having the best stats).

Second thing : Also, the 2nd line center should be able to reach 60 pts more easily, the 3rd liners should get more than 15 pts, and the 4th line should be able to make more than... 0 pts...)***

Third thing : put a cap on goals scored. I don't know how your simulator works, but when you increase the goals scored, it's always the same players that gets it. When you increase the goals level, it should be distributed from bottom to top, not the contrary.

***Those are metrics to end up with seasons where teams scores about 200 goals each, in average (otherwise, it gets easily to 78 goals season).
Last edited by Numero80 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Savard

Post by Savard »

Thanks for sharing! Maybe the 2nd line center problem is related to ice time? I always take G or A per ice time as the benchmark.
Kitsune
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kitsune »

.. yeah my apologies .. what I forgot to mention if I had the players divided in 9 tiers - that table on the right controlled how many player in each tier. I had sliders set to between 10 to 15 too. I think the general problem with 2.1 is also it has bit of stigma amongst GM's too that get a bit mystified by it.
Numero80

Post by Numero80 »

Finally, a GM noticed that the SK stat wasn't inverted (forgot to put back the query). If I invert it, the goalie stats must between 87 and 92 (for the top 25). It gave me the same results, but the defensemen had more passes.
Numero80

Post by Numero80 »

Savard wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 pm Thanks for sharing! Maybe the 2nd line center problem is related to ice time? I always take G or A per ice time as the benchmark.
Même pas! J'ai essayé de limiter le temps de glace (30-30-25-15), et ça n'a rien changé.
Numero80

Post by Numero80 »

36Henry wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:32 pm It's a game of averages. Sounds like the gap in talent between players at the top and bottom of the depth charts is quite large. Narrow the gap and the gap in points will do the same.

And it's not a simple matter of "inverse SK". It needs to be more sophisticated than that.
I'm not sure about this. Even if I put SK, PH, SC and PA to the exact same rating (ex : 70 everywhere), it still gives me the exact same results.