FHL vet with questions

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Kid_Roll
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

FHL vet with questions

Post by Kid_Roll »

Hi guys,

I used to run a league using the FHL software, for many a year, back in the day.

Using FHL was the equivalent of getting hit in the face with a hammer while trying to pick up shards of broken glass on a floor covered with vinegar.

Because of the FHL being so unstable (crashing all the time) and being unflexible (unable to run farms properly, the re-rating at end of season was pathetic, unable to have settings on things like farm roster rating changes during the season) we eventually folded up and stopped running our league; the headache just wasn't worth it.

So today I had a bit of an itch to try running a league again, but I didn't want to use FHL, so I started googling and came across this website.

The screenshots look too good to be true, to be honest, as it looks like someone played FHL, saw all the crap that was wrong with it, then went ahead and programmed a sim that was amazing. It honestly looks amazing.

So my question is, has anyone who has used the FHL hockey sim weigh in on how much better SImon's sim program is? Or can anyone overall just weigh in on how good this is?

I plan on trying the demo after I get off work today, but I am always interested in the opinions of other league commisioners.

Thanks for any help!
jwr38
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Re: FHL vet with questions

Post by jwr38 »

Version 2 is still in beta stages and has a few things to be ironed out. In my opinion, if you wanted to start a league now, would be to buy version one and check on version 2 at a later date. If you were thinking of starting a league later i would just play with the demo until then and look to buy later.
JayGee

Post by JayGee »

I used FHL for YEARS, pretty much since it came out, until about a year or two ago when I switched to STHS.

The one thing FHL has going for it, is that since there isnt much features it is A LOT easier to maneuver through than STHS. With STHS there are almost limitless amounts of things you can tweak and mess with to truly make it custom.

If you mess around with it a bit, and learn the ins and outs, then you will have no trouble moving over to STHS. Just dont get all Rambo-like, and try to start a league right out of the gate, I did that with a crash and burn a couple weeks later.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Kid_Roll wrote:The screenshots look too good to be true, to be honest, as it looks like someone played FHL, saw all the crap that was wrong with it, then went ahead and programmed a sim that was amazing. It honestly looks amazing.
Actually, this is exactly what I did!!! :D 8) :P :mrgreen:
Kid_Roll wrote:So my question is, has anyone who has used the FHL hockey sim weigh in on how much better SImon's sim program is? Or can anyone overall just weigh in on how good this is?
I have a bunch of client who came from the FHL world. Heck, I release over 40 build of the STHS version 1 and version 2 since four years versus 0 releases for FHL.
jwr38 wrote:Version 2 is still in beta stages and has a few things to be ironed out. In my opinion, if you wanted to start a league now, would be to buy version one and check on version 2 at a later date. If you were thinking of starting a league later i would just play with the demo until then and look to buy later.
I disagree.. The final version of release 2 will release in the 3-4 next weeks.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
jwr38

Post by jwr38 »

you disagree that version 2 doesn't have any issues? So all the testing I did was pretty pointless then? I am sorry but since I tested the sim as hard as I could I strongly disagree that version 2 is ready.

Simon you know I like the software else I wouldn't have created the player creator and tested out the sim but currently the sim engine does have some faults with it. There are a range of style of players that you can not create. The best players struggle to be the best player, unable to create goons who do most of the fighting, no way to create a top star player that will lead the league in scoring. The list goes on. I'm not saying that it doesn't work but there is something not right (and most likely something small).