Testing again

This temporary section in English only contains idea / feedback / suggestion / problem related to the simulation engine beta.
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Testing again

Post by 36Henry »

After a few months of having no time on my hands, I've returned for some more testing. And the 2.1 continues to surprise.

In an automatic fantasy draft of a 30 team league I run my tests on, the Sim somehow managed to draft Ovechkin and Crosby to the same team. Already it's suspicious. Daniel Cleary was the lucky fella to be the third man in on that line.

Needless to say the team went on to have a pretty good season, going 75-5-2 on route to winning the President's Trophy by a 30 point margin. Daniel Cleary had somewhat of a career year as he scored 316 points. That placed him third in league scoring, 250+ points behind Crosby and Ovechkin who both broke the 570 point plateau. The highest scoring player on any other team had 172 points. The worst team in the league scored 84 goals total.

It's worth noting that all the averages in the Sim test files were perfectly in line with the NHL.

So that result was kind of worrying as even though Crosby was the best player in the league as per ratings, he was by no means that far ahead of anyone else. So I decided to make a trade with the worst team in the league. So Team Crosby traded their 578 point captain to Team Suck for their leading scorer Derek MacKenzie who had racked up 31 points in the first test.

82 games later and Ovechkin had dropped from 571 points to a 90 point campaign. Daniel Cleary registered a respectable 78 point season. Their team fell from 75-5-2 to 32-41-9 as they didn't do quite so well without Sidney.

But how did Sidney do on Team Suck? Well with Sidney on the team the club rocketed up the standings from 30th overall all the way up to 29th(!!) as Crosby registered a stellar 48 point season.

So in conclusion color me luke warm on the current version of the 2.1 as there has been a horrendous amount of these super lines make an appearance. The Brian Boyle & Justin Williams show produced well over 200 points each in more than a few seasons as they dominated the rinks.

I will say though that before I was pulled away from testing a few months ago I did have a most enjoyable stint with the 2.1 engine in its 2.4.0.5 version. On that platform the ratings I created produced the most realistic replica of the 2010/11 NHL season possible. I would be most delighted to know what you changed from that version to the current one and why? And if there's any chance my league could get our hands on a usable copy of that version for our next season because it was a thing of absolute beauty.

This is not the proper place for this but I don't feel I should swamp the forum with new threads.

In the Auto Lines function I've been annoyed for a long time now with the Sim constantly putting the winger in the C position and vice versa for 4-on-4 and PK. The center should be the one winning the face-offs. Wish that could be changed and perhaps even a tweak where the Auto Lines will put the best defensive forwards on the PK units by default rather than the best overall players (who are usually worse in that role).

And if possible could there be a feature similar to the "Can not play on lines 1 & 2" where players can be blocked from appearing on any two lines at even strength? It would be a great feature for leagues who don't allow doubleshifting of forwards at even strength.

Will continue to test and yell Merde at the Sim when it doesn't do what I want it to do. Love the product. Can't imagine life without it.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Testing again

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

The major thing that change since 2.0.4 since the goal formula. First, in the 2.0.5, I change it so players over 90 of SC score a lot more and it’s because of you. Please read here for more information (http://sths.simont.info/Forum/viewtopic ... 233#p35087). And in 2.0.6, I had the PP sliders but by barely changing the formula.

Did I make that 90 Scoring too powerful to you?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by QSHL »

SimonT wrote:
Did I make that 90 Scoring too powerful to you?
In my tests, it seems so.
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

I would agree with that too. From what I've seen in the 2.0.6 the top rated scorers can put up extremely impressive seasons (sometimes at unrealistic levels like the 260 goal 570 point seasons I mentioned above) while players rated 70 or below for SC are lucky to get 1 or 2 goals in a full season.

Guess I should also point out that I run my tests with NHL rosters and lines, where the distribution of ice-time is 32-27-23-20 and 55-45 for special teams. And that the span for SC in the ratings I use go from 98-58 for forwards and 92-52 for defense. So in my tests the first line on every team are having great seasons, the second lines are very good on deep teams and poor on other clubs. Third and fourth lines barely score at all.

If possible I think it would be great if it could be evened out a little bit more so that even the worst players can get a goal or two (even Trevor Gillies scored twice in the NHL lol), and the top guys, while being better than the rest, aren't quite so dominant.

I do like how the better teams generally finish higher than the weaker teams at the end of the season. That's brilliant. I think tuning the scoring would make for an even better product.