V2 Preview

Official Announcements / Annonces Officiel
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Re: V2 Preview

Post by Icepilot »

Kitsune wrote:When I bought it was called a life time license ... even the options from the poll at the top of this forum state lifetime.. so when did this change that we may have to pay now?
That would be a lifetime license for version 1 of the sim. That license probably does not apply to version 2.
Kev
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Kev »

Icepilot wrote:
Kitsune wrote:When I bought it was called a life time license ... even the options from the poll at the top of this forum state lifetime.. so when did this change that we may have to pay now?
That would be a lifetime license for version 1 of the sim. That license probably does not apply to version 2.

That is also my point of view. The V2 is so much different from V1 that it's a different product, which means to me a different licence. In my mind, it can't be a simple "update". I however would like to see returning customers, in other words those who had V1, paying less than first time buyers. But that's just my 2 cents.
Kevin Belleau
STHS support team / Équipe de support STHS

Président de la LAHSQ
Ancien président de la LVHQ, 2002 - 2007
Kitsune
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kitsune »

Well usually life time means just not one version of the program, but all versions of one program...
Kev
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Kev »

I think lifetime was more referring to the fact that you don't have to renew your licence every X year.

It's a fact that your licence of STHS v1 will never expire as promised.

In my mind your point of view is similar to if you were requesting from EA sports their version 2010 because you bought 2009. They would tell you that your licence for NHL 2009 is valid lifetime but if you want NHL 2010 you need to buy it.

All in all, Simon we'll be deciding how he wants to proceed in that matter. I'm confident he will find a way to make everyone happy.
Kevin Belleau

Président de la LAHSQ
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

Kitsune wrote:Well usually life time means just not one version of the program, but all versions of one program...
When you buy software, let's say a Anti-Virus program, You get a lifetime support for that program as long as you use it, but you have to pay each year for the update.
And the perfect example is the EA Sports series. You have to buy a new one each year.

And finally, to be serious, the Version 1 of the STHS sim only costs $35. I personally would have no problem forking out another $35 for version 2. Heck i already purchased the FHL way back when and the web portal, so i am already out $100 with those 3 combined.
BNFHLCommish
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by BNFHLCommish »

Icepilot wrote:
Kitsune wrote:Well usually life time means just not one version of the program, but all versions of one program...
When you buy software, let's say a Anti-Virus program, You get a lifetime support for that program as long as you use it, but you have to pay each year for the update.
And the perfect example is the EA Sports series. You have to buy a new one each year.

And finally, to be serious, the Version 1 of the STHS sim only costs $35. I personally would have no problem forking out another $35 for version 2. Heck i already purchased the FHL way back when and the web portal, so i am already out $100 with those 3 combined.
They don't stop upgrading the version you own.

If I own Norton Antivirus 2006 and choose to stay with that program, the virus definitions won't be 3 years out of date.

As long as Simon continues to support and maintain version 1, I have no issue with my lifetime license of that software. That's what I paid for after all and if I did decide to upgrade to version 2, I could simply run two leagues (one off of version 1 and one off of version 2).

However, if Version 1 goes by the wayside, which it likely will as people will no doubt not want to submit things like ratings for multiple version of the sim, I will feel somewhat ripped off personally. The continuous updates are the reason I moved over to SimonT. If I wanted to use an obsolete sim I would have continued on with FHLsim.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not trying to come off as being a dick. I would sooner see a donate option, and would be more likely to offer in that form personally, and push that angle with the GM's in my league. Beautiful work on the Sim Simon, your hardwork is much appreciated, and even if you do plan to charge for version 2, I would consider adding a donate button to your site somewhere if I were you.

I'd glady push my GM's in that direction, and convincing even half the GM's in the league to donate $2 per year to keep the sim free could be well worth it. If people like the sim and want to see you continue work, they'd also use it.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

BNFHLCommish wrote:Just my 2 cents, and I'm not trying to come off as being a dick. I would sooner see a donate option, and would be more likely to offer in that form personally, and push that angle with the GM's in my league. Beautiful work on the Sim Simon, your hardwork is much appreciated, and even if you do plan to charge for version 2, I would consider adding a donate button to your site somewhere if I were you.
There a donation button in How to Buy page. ;)

P.S. Rating creator are a huge asset to the STHS community. They deserve a lot of credit, a much that me.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

BNFHLCommish wrote:
Icepilot wrote:

They don't stop upgrading the version you own.

If I own Norton Antivirus 2006 and choose to stay with that program, the virus definitions won't be 3 years out of date.

As long as Simon continues to support and maintain version 1, I have no issue with my lifetime license of that software. That's what I paid for after all and if I did decide to upgrade to version 2, I could simply run two leagues (one off of version 1 and one off of version 2).

However, if Version 1 goes by the wayside, which it likely will as people will no doubt not want to submit things like ratings for multiple version of the sim, I will feel somewhat ripped off personally. The continuous updates are the reason I moved over to SimonT. If I wanted to use an obsolete sim I would have continued on with FHLsim.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not trying to come off as being a dick. I would sooner see a donate option, and would be more likely to offer in that form personally, and push that angle with the GM's in my league. Beautiful work on the Sim Simon, your hardwork is much appreciated, and even if you do plan to charge for version 2, I would consider adding a donate button to your site somewhere if I were you.

I'd glady push my GM's in that direction, and convincing even half the GM's in the league to donate $2 per year to keep the sim free could be well worth it. If people like the sim and want to see you continue work, they'd also use it.

I have a copy of Windows95 that i have a lifetime license for, And does Windows still support this version......NO. Nuff said.
BNFHLCommish

Post by BNFHLCommish »

When you bought your copy of Windows 95, you bought a lifetime license to own the product... but were warned in advance that it would only be supported for a certain period of time. For instance, Microsoft Windows XP mainstream support period ended on April 14, 2009. They will often still do their best, but do not have to support the product past this date. At this point, drivers and updates for new hardware and software start to fade away until they just aren't made anymore. I was the guy on the other end of the line telling you MS no longer supported your version of Windows 95 when you called in. Limitation of this support is clearly stated in your documentation received with the product, and is also available on the website.

When this product was purchased, I was told I would continue to receive updates. I thought this because it clearly states as much on the BUY IT page:

http://sths.simont.info/HowToBuy_En.php
Support

SimonT Hockey Simulator is committing to give the best support by:
Providing upgrade, patch and/or update every 3 months.
Providing support by the forum or by email within 48 hours.
So, I would like to think Simon is a man of his word and I will continue to receive that promised support that attracted me to the sim in the first place.

Nuff Said?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

The lastest versio of V1 (1.1.5 at the time of writing this post) will always be support. :)
-SimonT
BNFHLCommish

Post by BNFHLCommish »

SimonT wrote:The lastest versio of V1 (1.1.5 at the time of writing this post) will always be support. :)
Which is AOK by me Simon. As long as you continue to release updates and patches as promised for V1, you're keeping your word and no one should complain.

Could get troublesome with the overhead however continuing to patch 2 different releases but as long as you have the time to devote, it's all good.

Ps. Hope you saw the idea about the donate button. Might be better compensated for your time.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

BNFHLCommish wrote:Could get troublesome with the overhead however continuing to patch 2 different releases but as long as you have the time to devote, it's all good.
Na, since they are two different code base (VB6 for V1 and VB.Net 2.0 for V2), it'll be easy.

BNFHLCommish wrote:Ps. Hope you saw the idea about the donate button. Might be better compensated for your time.
Hope you saw my answer. ;)
-SimonT
BNFHLCommish

Post by BNFHLCommish »

SimonT wrote:
BNFHLCommish wrote:Could get troublesome with the overhead however continuing to patch 2 different releases but as long as you have the time to devote, it's all good.
Na, since they are two different code base (VB6 for V1 and VB.Net 2.0 for V2), it'll be easy.

BNFHLCommish wrote:Ps. Hope you saw the idea about the donate button. Might be better compensated for your time.
Hope you saw my answer. ;)
Nope, I'm a big dummy, went back and now I see it though :). I'll have to add a link to that on the league page.

It's a relief to know you'll be making sure both versions of the Sim are current and up to date with NHL rules. Silly question I suppose, and I could likely find it somewhere else, but will the roster packs be the same format for both versions of the sim? Night save you some headaches if there were.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

BNFHLCommish wrote:Silly question I suppose, and I could likely find it somewhere else, but will the roster packs be the same format for both versions of the sim? Night save you some headaches if there were.
Not completly. They are some minor modification. You'll see soon.
-SimonT
Kev
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Kev »

SimonT wrote:Not completly. They are some minor modification. You'll see soon.

You meant awesome modifications :D
Kevin Belleau

Président de la LAHSQ