New player creation OV jumping around

Any questions related to version 1 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 1 devraient être demandées ici.
Skyward Hockey
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

New player creation OV jumping around

Post by Skyward Hockey »

We draft and create real prospects in our league. We have Patrick King, a junior hockey reporter from Canada, rate our prospects based on HF rating and his experience following these players.

He uses an STHS sim set exactly to the same specs as mine to create them, then writes an Excel files with each attribute for each player. I manually create and input them in the "Edit Players" section, then activate from each teams' prospect list.

Here's the problem I've been having.

For some reason, the attributes that equaled 59 OV when he created them originally are now equaling 61 OV when I input them. It seems to be completely random for each player too, because some players rating equal precisely the OV Patrick states in the Excel file, and some are 2 OV higher.

We use the 1.1.10 sim now - just upgraded from 1.1.3. We've had this issue in both sims.

Just to make sure it wasn't Patrick's version of the sim that was causing the issue, I had input a few prospects myself and wrote out their attributes in an Excel file and deleted the player from the sim. I'd close the sim, open it back up, recreate the player, and a couple - with the saem attributes as before, were now 2 OV higher.

I really don't want to have to "derate" my prospects 2 OV points for some sort of weird error. I know for a fact that no settings were changed and haven't been changed since the playoffs about a month ago - well before we started prospect creation.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thomas Gidlow
PFHL Commissioner
http://pfhl.vetsson.net
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: New player creation OV jumping around

Post by SimonT »

The OV formula for version 1 is secret.

So how could he create OV in Excel?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

He isn't 'creating' OV - as I said, he has his own STHS sim and creates the players there. Then he records their attributes and puts them into an Excel file so I can create them for the league. The OV appears in the sim after you create the player - he just records it so I'll know the numbers match.

But for some reason, lately only too (worked fine in the past), the OV is jumping two points in some players as I stated in my original post.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Ah ok.

The OV formula is affect by the league simulator option (Shots, Goal, Hits) so his league option are different from your.
-SimonT
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

I assure you they are identical. As I said as well - I created the players, recorded their attributes, and then deleted them in my own sim (I didn't want to output them that day). I then re-created them and some of their OV's was 2 points higher.

Example:

First attempt: Riley Sheahan 67 50 75 72 76 87 60 71 61 60 62 45 45 50 80 59 Created 10-10-10
Second attempt: Riley Sheahan 67 50 75 72 76 87 60 71 61 60 62 45 45 50 80 61 Created 10-16-10

Same sim settings were used throughout - no changes.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

The league simulation option are different between both league.

By league simulation option, I mean Fights, Goals, Injury, Penalties, Shots, Hits and Morale)
-SimonT
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

Yes, I know what you are talking about. I did the above example in my own sim. The settings for league operation (fights, morale, etc) were not changed from the first example to the next. It is quite a perplexing problem.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

This is the only variable in the STHS you can change that affect the OV formula.
-SimonT
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

I know it's small font here - but I created Stephen Silas at 59 OV a few days prior to recreating him today in the sim. Same attributes - but now he is 61 OV.

Both times, the sim settings were:

Coaches: 50
Fights: 43
Finance: 75
Goals: 35
Injuries: 34
Morale: 1
Penalties: 38
Shots: 52
Hits: 65

I'm lost....:(
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

As I said, I don't believe you were using the same sim setting.
-SimonT
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

Here is a new wrinkle to the same problem - proving our sim settings are NOT the issue.

I created Cam Fowler at 61 OV. I went to assign him to Colorado, and then went back to "Edit Players". When I looked him up he had jumped to 62 OV.

I also had created Yuri Alexandrov, Tommy Cross, and Brain Strait, all 58 OV defensemen. Now, my friend Patrick told me that when he created those defensemen at a forward position (C, LW, or RW) instead of at D, he could create them at better attributes and still be 58 OV.

So I created Yuri Alexandrov at C instead of D - here are the results for your own eyes.

Here is Yuri on D...

Here is Yuri at C...

I made them both within minutes of each other. I didn't change one sim setting. We are absolutely stumped as to why this is happening as we have never had such an issue before.

We need help!
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

The OV formula for defenseman is different from forward!

There is 5 OV Formula : Offensive Forward, Defensive Forward, Offensive Defenseman, Defensive Defenseman and Goalies. Each formula is a bit different and give different OV.

To understand in what categorie a player fall, follow this logic.
Play Forward Only : If (Scoring + Passing) / 2 higher than Defense then Offensive Forward, otherwise Defensive Forward.
Play Defense Only : If Scoring higher than Defense then Offensive Defenseman, otherwise Defensive Defenseman.
Play Goalies : Goalies
-SimonT
amn22492

Post by amn22492 »

lol jeez someone just made a huge issue over this?! :shock:

Even I could have told him what the 'issue' was...
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

Well that only explains why you can create a defenseman as a C and they have higher ratings. It still doesn't change the fact that I have not changed my sim settings in the slightest and still have the main problem - I created a D at 59 OV, and two days later created the same D at 59 OV. The first time's attributes were much higher at 59 OV than the second time.

My friend, who uses the same sim settings with the same version of the simulator, created Vladimir Tarasenko as a 59 OV player. He typed the attributes into a spreadsheet and sent them to me. I input those attributes in and he came up as a 61 OV. Simply saying "well, your sim settings must be different" doesn't make it so. We've quadruple checked - our settings are the same.