Possible to show where a player is when they take action?

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
Kitsune
The Addict / Le Drogué

Possible to show where a player is when they take action?

Post by Kitsune »

I was looking at this on the NHL website: https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-n ... _tab=plays

.. and realized the sim does not tell us where a player is within a zone when they pass, score take a hit etc. Is this something to get in the future - or is it possible the sim does keep track of this and just needs to be added to output? And then coders could decipher it and be able to make a box score like in the link.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Possible to show where a player is when they take action?

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

This data is not in the game engine. I could know only the players who has the puck.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

It's possible to create this data even though it's not actually in the Simulation. I played around with it a long time ago and got it working really well where I could put up shot-charts and other stuff to make the game reports look at lot sexier. It also would provide a way to give each team more of an "identity" in that teams built on grit would be taking more shots from around the net and so on.

What I based this on was I downloaded all the data from nhl.com from the past 15 or so seasons which provided me with tons of data for the habits of each player and each position. Then it's a fairly simple process of creating x-y co-ordinates and a script. So for Patric Hornqvist, most of his shots would come from around the crease while a player like Ovechkin would shoot mostly from the top of the circles, all based on their actual real life style of play.

Same would then be done for hits and so on.

It takes quite a bit of work to get it done, but it definitely helps give the games more life and would make any league's website really stand out from the rest.

On a completely unrelated note, this is a request for Simon. My inbox has hit 100% capacity and I have messages "on hold" which I can't access. I am also unable to delete old messages to free up space as I receive this message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." Any advice on how I could access these new messages would be greatly appreciated.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hi

Sadly, I'm unable to add this data. This concept simply doesn't exist in the engine.

I have updated everyone to 125 Message. It should fix your problem. Otherwise, I can wipe your Output also.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

Thanks a lot Simon! Worked like a charm.

As for the data, I know it's not in the engine. I was just letting Kitsune know that it can be done externally and presented on a website as part of a custom boxscore. One could potentially use such data to create a graphic "simulation" of the simulation if one wanted to go completely bananas with it.