Power play struggles

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
vollie27
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Power play struggles

Post by vollie27 »

I can not figure out how to run a good PP unit and It's killing my team right now.

I tried the settings with 5 OF, it did not work. Went to 1PHY-1DF-3OF, did not work either.

Is the SC stat important for the players on the PP, is there another stat that really matters?
mpclardy
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Re: Power play struggles

Post by mpclardy »

It's the balance between your 3 forwards and how the 2 defenders contribute.

The decision engine for scoring IIRC usually has a consistent result if one of the 3 main stats (PA-SC-SK) is 10 points above the next, then another 10 point gap between #2 and #3. So a line of 90-80-70, 80-90-70, and 80-70-90 will perform better than 90-90-90, 90-90-90, and 90-90-90 because one person is passing, another is shooting, and another is moving the puck with possession looking to pass.

Form what I can tell about strats, even on the PP, you're stacking them up with your situationals at the bottom of the lines. So an offensively minded PP (0-0-5) will still run a bit defensive if the team is up by 2 and the team is set to 1-3-1 to give a powerplay that really runs 1-3-6. You just need balance. Don't put Gaborik on a line that's going to try hitting folks, because he cant check well. Conversely, John Scott shouldn't be on the powerplay, given his poor scoring and skating skills.

For powerplay, I'd rank the attributes desired in this order:
- Sniper: SC, PH, SK
- Passer: PA, SK, PH
- Possession: SK, PH, PA/SC (depending on whether you're aiming for more movement on the PP (PA) or more shots on net (SC)