Some observations on COND, EN & Fatigue... please advice

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Edgar84
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Some observations on COND, EN & Fatigue... please advice

Post by Edgar84 »

Dear STHS community,

I've been here for few years but never posted. I made a couple of experiments lately to address my roster poor COND and so far it works. I found interesting to share my observations with you. I did my lines by regrouping players with same bracket of EN on the same line. Then, for each line I calculated the EN average of the 3 players. For instance 1rst line average is 88EN, 2nd 82EN, 3rd 78EN & 4th 75EN. Knowing the sum of 4 lines EN average is 323EN I made a distribution on 100 to define each line wanted time %. For example, 88/323*100 = 27% so now I have my 1rst line time % at 27% rather than 40% as suggested by the auto line function. For other lines 2 to 4 I obtained 25-24-23 respectively. Since I balanced my time % based on EN I noticed my players maintain their 100COND all the time (even when 2 games in 2 nights). Sometimes the real % varies from +/-2% from the wanted % but the proportion is always maintained between lines. With the same principal applied to my defense I got 36-34-30-0. Note that I set the time % of my 4rth pair to 0% as I found it easier to control the TOI of a defense player when he only shows up on 1 pair. Do you think having a line time % set to 0, like my 4rth pair, could ruin the MO of those line’s players? It also makes me wonder why the author has created a 4rth pair at 5vs5 since it is not the way conventional hockey is played and coached…

All that being said I still have a concern with my goalie COND. I know for sure my Commish increased the Goalie fatigue this season to compel GM’s with goalie rotation. However, I don’t know the exact numbers into the Fatigue for 100 Endurance tab since the change. From what I understand a skater with low EN having too much TOI will accumulate fatigue and consequently its rating will reduce from shift to shift until he’s out by exhaustion. Pure guessing here but having a skater at 96COND will have all its decision stats drop by 4% at the beginning of the game and so on. Is the same principal applies to starting goalie with damaged COND? In other words, is the fatigue affecting the rating a live thing during a game or it’s only deducted post game from the Fatigue for 100 Endurance formula? I’m asking because sometime I’m wondering if I should go with my backup goaltender 78OV 100COND or my prime goaltender 82OV 96COND. Perhaps my prime goalie is as good as a 78OV when affected by a 96COND and I’m risking losing him by exhaustion. Please advice on goalie fatigue.

Thanks
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Some observations on COND, EN & Fatigue... please advice

Post by SimonT »

Edgar84 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 am Do you think having a line time % set to 0, like my 4rth pair, could ruin the MO of those line’s players? It also makes me wonder why the author has created a 4rth pair at 5vs5 since it is not the way conventional hockey is played and coached…
Some team play with 7DF so you need a 4th pair to get the 7DF play. Player Time on Ice doesn't affect there morale
Edgar84 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 am Is the same principal applies to starting goalie with damaged COND?
Why are you pure guessing for players and asking the question for goalie? And why would be it the same?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Edgar84
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Re: Some observations on COND, EN & Fatigue... please advice

Post by Edgar84 »

SimonT wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm Some team play with 7DF so you need a 4th pair to get the 7DF play.
Seen that way it makes totally sense.

SimonT wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm Why are you pure guessing for players and asking the question for goalie?
I was guessing on the numbers only (96COND reduces the rating by 4%). Perhaps the author applied a factor of .96 on the decision rating which corresponds to the skater COND. That’s my guess… However for the principal I described I believe it’s applicable to the skaters based on this excerpt from the STHS manual: ‘’Endurance - Affect all games stats. If a player's is send on ice when he's fatigue, this stat is used in the formula to decide if all stats for this shift will be lower than normal. Also uses in the post-game fatigue formula.’’
However for the goalie EN rating it is only mentioned that it’s used in the post-game fatigue formula. The manual doesn’t specify if fatigue affects other stats for goalies like it does for skaters. That’s mainly why I’m asking if the same principal applies to goalie since it is not mentioned in the manual.

SimonT wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm why would be it the same?
Simply because goalies are athletes and should see their game performance affected when fatigue.

I’m not expecting the author to reveal his secret but maybe other community members have made some interesting observations to be shared.

Regards