DF - too important?

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Hawkmoon
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

DF - too important?

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hello everyone! I am not sure this is the correct place to ask this but I give it a try. I am a member of a Swedish league based upon this game simulator. What I have noticed is that DF is WAY too powerful according to me. The teams who have great DF on their defenders simply don't need anything else pretty much since their offensive play seem to be extremily good as well just by this. Teams who have way better offensive skills and a bit worse DF on the defenders are simply outplayed. Is this not a bit unbalanced you think? What are your views of this? Only me who have noticed this?

As it is now it feels like it is one skill (DF) who simply dominates over all other skills if it is really good on defenders. And when considering DF is based upon blocked shots and so it also seems like bad teams IRL gets a lot higher DF than many top teams which makes it kinda strange overall.

Ah, well just wondering what you guys say... =)
starfrit
The SuperStar

Re: DF - too important?

Post by starfrit »

Maybe the DF ratings of your league is too high overall ?
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Maybe but even if the DF is to high overall should it really make the team score a lot more? That is how it seems right now.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

So... Noone seem to be that interested in this... Take a look at the league www.swe-hl.com and see what teams are playing best. Also look at my playoff games against Columbus. My team is Calgary. Logical results you think? DF on the defenders rules. Boost that the most you can and you will rock I say. Other skills and players are only important if you meet someone with equal DF on their defenders.

Take a look and tell me if I am wrong. Maybe you can explain my loss against Columbus in the first round of the playoff as well?
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

Hello Hawkmoon. =)

Yeah, in our league, it seems like DF on the defenders is everything. If it's too high? I don't know. I chose a rating file that contained a lot of players, and where the star players don't have over 85 in every skill. (Like the rating file I used to another league, where Kovalchuk had 91 in DF i think). I guess it's balanced with the ratings... But yeah, we have a couple of teams that has 4 or 5 defenders with 90 DF or more, almost no offensive skills, and keep on winning, and scoring goals...

But Hawkmoon, what decides the ratings, is different from rating file to rating file...

I'm also interested in some answers here... =)
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

If you think it's too high vs scoring abilities, Mass Edition Less 5 to DF for everyone. :|
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

That maybe makes it better. I don't know. But I still thinks something is... "Wrong" is the wrong word. "Weird" maybe?

This means that if I do Mass Edition -10 on DF with every player, and then raise the PA with 10 on every player, (or until this skill is "dominant"), the team with the BEST PA will be the winning team? Sorry, but I don't see the logic here. Only because we (maybe) have a little bit to high DF in the league, DF should't be almost the only skill that decides wich team is winning. But it should make high DF teams allow fewer goals of course.

And besides, DF should tell (in my opinion) how good the players are in defending. In our league, it seems like high DF means wins and a lot scored goals. It looks like the DF skill is too important in the simulation. But of course, I know nothing about that.

Has anyone noticed the same in other leagues? I'm gonna start look on other leagues, that uses the same rating file, if the tendency is the same there. Maybe it's just my league, and just this season this is happening.

I'm not demanding anything, because I can live with this thing. But if you have time Simon, please have a look at it. The link to our league is posted by Hawkmoon. Maybe we have too high DF in the league? Maybe this is happening in a lot of other leagues too? Maybe it is just this league and just this season? Maybe the simulator engine could need a little adjustment? I just think that the skill that has the highest average, should not be the only (almost) thing that decides the results. For me, it makes no sense. (But maybe there is something I just don't understand)

I can find it weird that the Blue Jackets is dominating the Flames in the playoffs. The only thing both me and Hawkmoon (Flames GM) can see Blue Jackets has, that Flames does not, is higher DF on the defenders. Also, Blue Jackets finished 4th in the total standings this season. The team looks to be one of the worst teams in the league (Blue Jackets GM says he has the worst team). Of course, they could be lucky over just this season... But we played 82 games.

There are other things I want to ask about, but I'm posting that under the "General Questions". Maybe this thread should be there as well?

Thank you. =)
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

laving wrote:I'm not demanding anything, because I can live with this thing. But if you have time Simon, please have a look at it.
I'm not touching the simulating engine. If you think DF is too important, lower it.
-SimonT
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Well... If DF is too important then maybe it is something you as developer of the simulator should take a look at and adjust? I mean it is kinda strange way to solve a badly tweaked match simulator - if that is the case - by manually lower all DF ratings instead of simply tweak the simulator a bit to make DF less important after all. You should see this as constructive feedback that might make the simulator better and not as some kind of threat or complain...

Can't you at least take a look at it? I mean it is really strange if a bunch of great defensive defenders can make the team great in defence AND in the offensive play somehow even if they don't have any good offensive skills. But that is me...
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

1. You are taking to me about the version 1 of the simulating engine. I'm at version 2.
2. Any change in the engine can affect other league in a way they don't want. What why I don't change the engine.
-SimonT