What do you look for in a player

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Frogren
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

What do you look for in a player

Post by Frogren »

so i'm in my 3rd season(we're a major rebuild, i took over an expansion team,that had nothing) in one league and in my 1st in 2 others(one is a retro league) and i've been looking around and all over really to see what everyone looks for in a player. i come to you asking what do you look for in player?

what do you look for in a playmaking center? a goal scoring forward? 2-way forward? power forward? energy forward? checking 3rd line type guy? 2-way defenceman? defensive defenceman? offensive defenceman? and what do you look for in a goalie?

i'm heading into the offseason with my rebuild team and would like to make some upgrades.

thanks,
Frogren
LEAGUES
SHFL - Pheonix Coyotes
HOFHL - LA Kings
Palmer's Retro - Toronto Maple Leafs
ILSH - Omsk Winterhawks
JJ Nobody

Re: What do you look for in a player

Post by JJ Nobody »

In my lines.

I try to have a good SC on either wings and a center with a very good PA.

Add to that a player with a lot of CK and you get the nuts.

CK hit the other player, puck loose, taken by your center who pass it to your scorer... bingo.

My best line ever in 4 years has been Morrow / Ribeiro / Semin (last year)

Ribeiro and Semin has been the Rockey Richard and Hart Ross trophy while Morrow did'nt put up big number, but had hundred of hits and I believe he's been a big part of the process.

(I also had Doughty and Jovanovski on my 1st D pairing... for some reason Jovavnoski had a lot of success despite average rating)

It still remain a trial and error game... the rating doesn't says it all.
Limerick

Re: What do you look for in a player

Post by Limerick »

When I took over the Islanders [vintage hockey league]a couple of months ago, I wanted to make sure that I had good depth throughout your team. I was fortunate that the previous GM left me with a good team, so I went after guys like hadfield and mc kechnie. They are not flashy players but they do get the job done when it counts. If the Islanders had been in a rebuilding mode when I took over, than I would have had a different mindset. I would want a starting goalie, a puck moving defenceman who is strong on the power play, and a bonafide # 1 center. From there you just build your team around those three guys. You want to make sure that your farm team is strong so that if you lose guys to free agency, they can step in, and keep your first and second round picks. Those are your building blocks.