Player Pos Ranking

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Frogren
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Player Pos Ranking

Post by Frogren »

So I was looking at player stats(CK, PA, SC and so on) to figure out if what the player is and where he fixs into the grand plan of things. So, I'm wondering how other GMs figure what a player is?
LEAGUES
SHFL - Pheonix Coyotes
HOFHL - LA Kings
Palmer's Retro - Toronto Maple Leafs
ILSH - Omsk Winterhawks
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Re: Player Pos Ranking

Post by QSHL »

As a commish of my own 100% fantasy league (made up names, made up players), I really need some imagination to create players and figuring out what kind of players they are.

Knowing the new "decision formula" that Simon leaked to us, here are my guidelines :

When I create a sniper, I try to keep PA as low as possible, get SK slightly higher but still low, and SC as high as possible.
When I create a playmaker, I do the same thing, but I switch PA and SC.
When I create puck wizards like Kovalev who love to hang onto the puck forever and deke everyone, you guessed I have PH and SK very high, and keep SC and PA lower.
When I create a powerforward, I get CK and ST higher, get a high SC as well as I want my forward to be able to get some goals. He rarely keeps the puck so I get SK lower, but raise PH because it has an impact on their defensive play and for takeaway.

When I create a D-man, I take many things into consideration, but stay-at-home rarely have a good SC, but get good DF. I feel these keep the game simple, so I have PA higher than SK so he wouldn't keep the puck too long. I give CK and ST some respect by raising them a bit.
When I go for an offensive guy, I get SK quite high so he would carry the puck as far as possible. Depending on how much of a threat I want him to be, I get SC higher or not.
When I go for a physical D, I get CK, ST up. I usually get DF to a respectable level, yet not that high because physical D-men will likely go for the big hit instead of the best defensive play.

As for goalies, I'm still learning how to make 'em the way I want.
Tim Thomas/Dominik Hasek type of goalies get high AG, RT and HS, but lower SC as I feel they don't really have a style and rebound because they are bound to allow some.
More technical goalies get the opposite, usually : high SC, RB, some good RT and HS, but lower AG.
If/when I create giant goalies, I raise SZ and SC, but keep AG, RT and HS quite low.

Not sure this helps you, but it's the best I can do.
Frogren

Post by Frogren »

thanks for the help... it's bang on what i was looking for basically.
LEAGUES
SHFL - Pheonix Coyotes
HOFHL - LA Kings
Palmer's Retro - Toronto Maple Leafs
ILSH - Omsk Winterhawks
timlips

Post by timlips »

As I am taking a commish's role in my own fantasy league, I really try to pattern a player to emulate real life. Of course you would not want to have this alpha player who does all things, so that balances things out and you will decide what type of role the player will be getting in your team.

The sort of quick guide posted here will surely give you a pretty good idea on how to accomplish it manually. It would help a lot as well.