Star studded teams that can't win games?!

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Star studded teams that can't win games?!

Post by Marc the Habs Fan »

Hey,

There's a team in my league that is simply unbelievable...it's absolutely loaded with stars, yet it just can't win games. It finished with the 2nd worst record in the league last year and this year it's off to an 0-3 start. I know the defence isn't great, but you'd think with some of the elite forwards this team has it would be far better. They also have a quality coach in Ruff.

Here are their top 3 lines:

Ovechkin - Crosby - Brown
Kunitz - Tavares - Malkin
The 3rd line has Legwand and Hornqvist

And the defence:

J. Johnson - E. Johnson
Yandle - O'Byrne

Howard in net.

Anybody else know of similar teams loaded with stars that flopped hardcore in their league?
2M4B - online since 2003-2004
http://www.2m4b.com
ynohtna
The Addict / Le Drogué

Re: Star studded teams that can't win games?!

Post by ynohtna »

What ratings are you using? What sim engine are you using?

Each of our years so far, the strong team did win the cup but there are some questionables in the middle of the pack. Last year was our best result with NAIHL wide set and sim engine 2.0

This year we are using NAIHL with modified FG and sim engine 2.1 .... test sims look ok where bad teams are bad teams but with GM's doing lines in actual season play, we are finding very quickly the early result is very different from test sim. Will have to monitor as we're only 8 preseason games and 3 days into regular season schedule now.
BFHL Admin/Commish
http://www.thebfhl.ca/bfhl
Now in Season 15, using BRHL Player v2.1 Ratings modified.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Marc the Habs Fan »

Version 2.0 is our sim. We used ratings from a bit of an obscure league, the HFNHL I think it is.

This stacked team is still struggling too after a decent stretch, currently in last place in the league through around 14 games. It's unbelievable.
2M4B - online since 2003-2004
http://www.2m4b.com
LHSIadmin
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by LHSIadmin »

Version 2.0 is very random wise, you can have alle the highest rated players in your team, and still can't win a game, I've done the Olympics 2 years ago, and Team Canada was packed with all the best players in the world a 85 OV average, while Belarus , Norway , Slovenia were about 51 OV average, and all those team beat Canada
ynohtna
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by ynohtna »

we were very happy with Version 2 on Naihl extended set last year. Did not find it that random. So far so good on V2.1 with modified NAIHL... What we are finding are that the spread between good teams and bad teams is greater. Also we have had teams with good players perform poorly but GM able to turn things around while trying to find different combinations that might work better.

Yes we are having a a bit of issue with the amount of goal scoring and how one line on a team can just completely carry the team but we are still monitoring and optimistic that with equal GM participation, everyone has a chance to be competitive a different way.
BFHL Admin/Commish
corwin95
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by corwin95 »

I noticed tha also good team struggling while poor teams just seem to aways win this year the last three expansion team were two or three were final 4 in the playoffs.My team one of the best in the league barely makes the playoffs.
ynohtna
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by ynohtna »

man it's clear a rating set makes or break things. We have very clear differences between the good teams and bad teams. V2.1 made this difference for us even greater. It gets foggy in the middle but it's mostly just as it should.
BFHL Admin/Commish
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

By far, engine 1.5 with tweaked settings specialy made for this engine give the best results I've seen in many years of seasons siming with the STHS.
ynohtna
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by ynohtna »

what do you mean with tweaked settings for 1.5version? What specific ones?
BFHL Admin/Commish
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Reviews many ratings like SK, PH, PA, SC, DF to have better results, more realistic ones. Also tweaked the def ratings a lot cause they score too much with this version of engine like the 1.0, same bug not resolved.

I run tests for my ratings for many full seasons in a row, best results ever.
Commish LEHS DG Habs

Post by Commish LEHS DG Habs »

Never underestimate the SK rating, it's VERY important!
ActionJackson

Post by ActionJackson »

Why is SK very important. With some ratings they're lower because they'll shoot the puck more with a lower rating . . . with a higher SK rating they'll hang onto the puck more . . . is this correct?
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

on the other side, a low SK rated players will be hit more often and will loose the puck.. so star players should have SK and PH higher then other guys.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

with engine 1.5 of course, in 2.0 it does not matter that much cause random results are up in play by play simulation.