Many GMs emailing me that lines upload don't work after they were forced to upgrade Client

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
SICHLCommish
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Many GMs emailing me that lines upload don't work after they were forced to upgrade Client

Post by SICHLCommish »

I do not use the client, but I understand that my GMs were all forced to update their client today.

Annoyingly, I was also forced to upgrade my version of the simulator. This is an error that seems to happen every year and causes a lot of unnecessary frustrations for our league. I wish STHS would stop forcing upgrades like this. The FTP lines upload function is broken again in the new version, from what I understand from the many emails I have received today.
neely61
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Re: Many GMs emailing me that lines upload don't work after they were forced to upgrade Client

Post by neely61 »

yes I agree.

my version also needed upgraded however, none of the versions beyond 3.3.2.8 will work on my computer
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Many GMs emailing me that lines upload don't work after they were forced to upgrade Client

Post by SimonT »

This option has been migrated from the FTP protocol to the HTTP protocol. Your website must be configured to accept upload from STHS Client. If you have the dynamic website version 3, you only need the "Website URL" option configured and the "Force Lines File upload by HTTP after save" option enabled to have the same behavior than you had before.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
SICHLCommish

Post by SICHLCommish »

We do not use the "dynamic website option" as we have been running our own custom website for over ten years (https://www.sichl.com).

How do we get back the same functionality that we had on Dec 31st? Every GM was able to upload lines directly from the STHS clients to the /linesupload directory and the STHS simulator was downloading them automatically. This was working fantastic for us.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

1) Please read this : viewtopic.php?t=14699

2) The FTP function is gone from the STHS. It has a huge source of problem for most of users and it was migrated to HTTP. The code for the HTTP function is available on GitHut if you wish to add into your website.
-SimonT
SICHLCommish

Post by SICHLCommish »

That is a very unfortunate decision to remove such an important and useful function that has been part of the STHS sim for many years. But I understand if it was causing so many issues for other users that you would remove it from future versions.

What makes no sense whatsoever and makes me want to rip my hair out is that you have forced me to update to the new version of the sim and you have also forced all my GMs to update to the new version of the client. In the middle of a season, we have lost a very useful and time-saving function. We would prefer to keep running the same version of the sim and client that was working perfectly for us and never upgrade again.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Sorry but everything in software require update at some time to improve feature. In this particular case, I have update the feature to HTTP transfers instead of FTP, a 50 years protocol! (Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol)
-SimonT
SICHLCommish

Post by SICHLCommish »

Ok, I still don't like having to make changes in the middle of a season. But it sounds like you will not let us continue running older versions that were working fine.

From the Manual:
If any of your GM is using the STHS Client, there are two options to upload lines to the commissioner.

The ‘Upload Lines’ feature on your league dynamic website under the Main menu. If you have a custom website, the "UploadFiles.php" file should be on your website.
The automatic STHS Client upload feature. If you have a custom website, the ‘UploadSTHSClient.php’ file should be on your website. For this option to work from the STHS Client, you either need to
Activate the ‘Force Lines File upload by HTTP after save’ option in the League Option, 'League #2' Tab available since version 3.2.6
Or if your ‘Download Lines from FTP before simulation’ option in the Output Option, 'FTP' Tab is activated, the STHS Client will ask if you want to try an automatic upload.

In both cased, the lines will be uploaded in a folder called ‘linesupload’ on your website server.
This is what I did a year ago and is no longer working since Jan 1 2022. I have had the UploadSTHSClient.php file on my custom website for 1 year already. So what do I have to change now? From what I see in the manual it should already be working?

I have also downloaded the code from GitHub, but it looks like it is missing a settings file at least.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

From what I see on my side, it should work. What error do you have in the STHS Client after you activate the "Force Lines File upload by HTTP after save" option?
-SimonT
SICHLCommish

Post by SICHLCommish »

Ok, I'll try that other option tonight and see if the uploads start rolling in.