A $7 problem - sometimes $18...(Sim Finances being ever so slightly off lol)

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
BeardCommish
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

A $7 problem - sometimes $18...(Sim Finances being ever so slightly off lol)

Post by BeardCommish »

Okay, shouldn't need to go into all the nuts and bolts here...but...long story short, I reverse-engineered the Daily Cap Calc for a spreadsheet so I could fully understand how it works (I'm weird).

I finally got all of the numbers on the finance page related to the cap lined up on Excel - 99.9% perfectly. However, for some reason, the finance page has a $7 (yes, seven dollars) difference from my spreadsheet.

Another GM also does the same thing and noticed today he's $18 (eighteen dollars) short from his spreadsheet to the finance page. So it's adding a very tiny amount somewhere in the complex calculation...and we are stumped as to where it's coming from.

It's not a rounding thing...we tried that and the rounding effect of our spreadsheets was literal pennies. Simon, could you check the calculation in the coding (I know next to nothing about coding lol) and see if there's some tiny little thing causing this very small discrepancy?

EDIT: My smart wife who also has coded for SAS and Red Hat thinks it may be something related to a "floating point" issue, if that helps.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: A $7 problem - sometimes $18...(Sim Finances being ever so slightly off lol)

Post by SimonT »

It could be related to floating point or/and integer issue. :)

But I'm happy you tell me I'm 7$ or 18$ from your calculation from of total of almost 1 million. :)

If you send me the SpreadSheet, I could look at it.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
BeardCommish

Re: A $7 problem - sometimes $18...(Sim Finances being ever so slightly off lol)

Post by BeardCommish »

Link to my team's finance page in the OTHL:
https://othl.ca/File/2022-RegularSeason ... hp?Team=21 (click Finances)

Link to my spreadsheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lkpcj1id ... 4cy2x1a284 (should be able to edit the doc too with this link - it's a copy, so have at it.) :)
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

Before I check it out, I'll ask you one thing; active the "Output Salaries Remaining", "Output Salaries Average Total" and "Output Salaries Average Remaining" option. Then Output and look at page : https://othl.ca/File/2022-RegularSeason ... p?Number=9

You should find the issue by comparing your Excel to this page.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
BeardCommish

Post by BeardCommish »

Oh, I don't run this league - I'm a GM here (I run BEARD Hockey). But I have brought up that they don't have Salaries Remaining - I'll check with the commishes to see if they can do that and report back.