Interest in a collaborative "Skating" rating?

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
legionnaire11
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Interest in a collaborative "Skating" rating?

Post by legionnaire11 »

Skating has always been the hardest rating to come up with because there is no stat that correlates, and especially in modern times everyone in the league is such a great skater that it can be difficult to differentiate between most players ability.

However, the NHL does actually have stats on skating now via their EDGE system of player and puck tracking, they just don't make it publicly available. We do see it sometimes on broadcasts though as they highlight players and show their speed and other stats. I'm thinking that as a group collaboration, we could all pitch in by sharing these data points as you see them on broadcasts. If there are enough people contributing to this, we could really build a solid database on players Top Speed, Average Speed and Distance Skated. Even if not every player ends up being represented, having a broad database would allow for the gaps to be more easily filled in with the eye test.

For example on what the NHL has available: https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comment ... 3_regular/

Hopefully one day the league will make all of this data available to the public, but in the meantime I think a group of us hardcore sim nerds could really put together a nice, usable data set just from what is shown on broadcasts. I'm envisioning this as a shared document like google sheets or something, but if anyone has some halfway decent coding skills I think a simple wiki type app could be made.

Further thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
Goldi48

Re: Interest in a collaborative "Skating" rating?

Post by Goldi48 »

SK rating has in fact nothing to do with a speed of skating. SK rating is a part of decision making formula - it affects what player is going to do with the puck (shoot, pass, skate or puck handle). Additionaly, the higher the stat is, there is a less chance the player get hit.

That's why I think the proper stat for SK rating is puck control/possession time - the more time player has a puck on his stick in real game, the higher SK rating should be.
BeardCommish
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by BeardCommish »

We're using statistical analysis based on a player's ability (and various stats in this realm), relative size, and age. Overall, it's a pretty comprehensive stat in our ratings. And as Goldi mentioned above, in STHS, it's not about "speed", though you will tend to find fast skaters among those in the top of the SK rating in our pack.

Keep an eye out - we're due for a big announcement shortly on our first public ratings offering. We'll give as much detail as possible regarding our statistical approach then. :)
legionnaire11

Post by legionnaire11 »

Goldi48 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:15 am SK rating has in fact nothing to do with a speed of skating. SK rating is a part of decision making formula - it affects what player is going to do with the puck (shoot, pass, skate or puck handle). Additionaly, the higher the stat is, there is a less chance the player get hit.

That's why I think the proper stat for SK rating is puck control/possession time - the more time player has a puck on his stick in real game, the higher SK rating should be.
I'm not doubting you, just wondering how this makes sense as in the manual Simon himself lists "Speed of player" as what you should base the Skating rating on if you are creating your own ratings.

Code: Select all

Players CSV Version 2 Field
#	Stats			Base yourself on ** to create ratings.
1	Checking		Number of body check
2	Fight 			Number of fight
3	Discipline 		Number de penalty minute
4	Skating 		Speed of player
5	Strength		Physical strength of the player
6	Endurance		Endurance of the player
7	Durability 		Tendency to get injured
8	Puck Handling		Tendency to control the puck
9	Face Offs		Percentage of face off win
10	Passing			Number of pass
11	Scoring			Number of goal
12	Defense			Plus and Minus
13	Penalty Shots		Number of Penalty Shots Goal
14	Experience		Experience of the player
15	Leadership		Leadership of the player
16	Potential		Potential to become better
legionnaire11

Post by legionnaire11 »

FWIW I had also been thinking about zone entry stats for Skating. If there was a resource that show how many times each player skate the puck into/out of a zone vs passing it or dumping in.
BeardCommish

Post by BeardCommish »

legionnaire11 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:23 pm I'm not doubting you, just wondering how this makes sense as in the manual Simon himself lists "Speed of player" as what you should base the Skating rating on if you are creating your own ratings.

Where is this located? The manual does not say this at all (the manual on his website).
legionnaire11

Post by legionnaire11 »

BeardCommish wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:50 pm
legionnaire11 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:23 pm I'm not doubting you, just wondering how this makes sense as in the manual Simon himself lists "Speed of player" as what you should base the Skating rating on if you are creating your own ratings.

Where is this located? The manual does not say this at all (the manual on his website).
https://sths.simont.info/ManualV3_En.php#RatingCreation
doogiski

Post by doogiski »

legionnaire11 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:25 pm FWIW I had also been thinking about zone entry stats for Skating. If there was a resource that show how many times each player skate the puck into/out of a zone vs passing it or dumping in.
This is what I use for SK in my ratings package. Corey Sznajder tracks this. I use controlled zone entries/60 for forwards and controlled zone exits/60 for defenders. The logic is that if a player has a tendency to skate a puck into/out of a zone instead of dump and chase or off the glass and out respectively, they probably have higher ability to process the game (an alternate way of viewing Simon's definition of "speed of play") that lends itself to SIMs decision making formula. In a way it's killing two birds with one stone.

Having said that, some here really poo-poo microstats such as this, but I'd rather use this quantifiable view of SK rather than an eye-base test mixed more proxy statistics.

In addition, I mix in ATOI during 3v3 play with the expectation that better skaters will be put over the boards with more open ice to play on.
legionnaire11

Post by legionnaire11 »

Well it looks like the NHL has finally made the EDGE data available to the public, this should really help out with creating Skating ratings...

https://edge.nhl.com/en/home
BeardCommish

Post by BeardCommish »

I took a gander earlier today - this is doubtless going to be very interesting come next offseason! :)
doogiski

Post by doogiski »

legionnaire11 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:53 am Well it looks like the NHL has finally made the EDGE data available to the public, this should really help out with creating Skating ratings...

https://edge.nhl.com/en/home
It'd be great if they build in an export tool or even have data in table format, otherwise having this information locked in will make it somewhat useless as I don't know anyone who has enough time to manually transcribe data for 900+ players from the website to a CSV.
BeardCommish

Post by BeardCommish »

doogiski wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:18 pm It'd be great if they build in an export tool or even have data in table format, otherwise having this information locked in will make it somewhat useless as I don't know anyone who has enough time to manually transcribe data for 900+ players from the website to a CSV.
If I have to...LOL. I will. ;)

As it was, the NHL.com stats were all in excel doc formats to download. I'm sure smarter people could figure out some sort of API or something to pull that data, but I am no stranger to merging a shit-ton of stuff into a workable format.

Except the Edge stuff looks very clunky so far. Hard to find a way to get things to output in a decent way.