It's Time For a New Sim Hockey Experience

Looking for a GM or a league? This is the place to put your ads. / Vous cherchez un GM ou une ligue? C'est le forum pour mettre votre publicité.
DriveHockey
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

It's Time For a New Sim Hockey Experience

Post by DriveHockey »

Coming in 2022, Drive Hockey aims to be one of the most immersive and interactive sim leagues out there.

Check out our website landing page as we continue working on the backend - you can read our Rulebook as well.

https://www.drivehockey.org

Some of the highlights of the league:

-- One season per calendar year mirroring NHL schedule
-- NHL-based rerates w/one optional sim-based rerate per team
-- Unique OVERDRIVE Prospect Camp
-- Dedicated Discord Group w/multiple channels
-- Clear and concise rules - our Rulebook is only 11 pages long
-- 100% free to play - donations encouraged

Work continues to develop the rest of the website, the ratings, and everything else to lay the foundation for a fun experience for GMs. We're aiming for launch in the spring during the NHL playoffs; not only to have a full Dispersal Draft but to have a full traditional offseason instead of rushing to get a season in sooner.

Join our waitlist and we'll keep you apprised of our progress. You can also join our Discord channel to chat if you'd like. We'll leave that open for whoever wants to hang out until we're fully ready.
PFHLCommish

Re: It's Time For a New Sim Hockey Experience

Post by PFHLCommish »

Hey Tom,

If somebody was dismissed from your other league, beard, does that also carry over to this new project you are working on?

Also, I had some people in my league that were interested but are worried that you will have a co-commish in this league as well... Is that true? I think if it is just you on your own running it by yourself, I will definitely send them over your way as requested by them.

Cheers and best of luck with the new startup!
DriveHockey

Post by DriveHockey »

Drive Hockey is a 100% independent entity - it has no association with any other league.

There are no plans to have multiple commissioners. I would highly encourage anyone that's interested to look over the rulebook, and if they have interest, feel free to sign up for updates. It's still a good way off from me starting a GM process, but I'll start sending out updates soon.
PFHLCommish

Post by PFHLCommish »

Oh, are you no longer running the beard hockey league? Sorry to hear that Tom, what happened?
DriveHockey

Post by DriveHockey »

What are you talking about? This thread is about Drive Hockey, which has nothing to do with any other league.

If you're looking for updates on other non-Drive Hockey related leagues, you can check out those posts here:

viewforum.php?f=13
PFHLCommish

Post by PFHLCommish »

Oh, sorry Tom, my bad!

I figured having the same Commissioner in each league meant they were tied together, but I totally get the disconnect thing, symantics I guess!

How's the wife these days? Got any Christmas plans?
DriveHockey

Post by DriveHockey »

^^ Nope, completely separate. Gonna enjoy the holidays with the wife and family. Thanks!

Exciting update coming - for those that have signed up for updates, I should have an email to you by early next week.

If you haven't signed up for updates, feel free to do so (info in the OP).
DriveHockey

Post by DriveHockey »

Here is the update we sent out on 12/28 to those who've signed up for updates. Be sure to sign up for these updates to get them as they are released (link in the OP).

They say Rome wasn't built in a day. Well, Drive Hockey won't be either. But unlike Rome, which ultimately fell, this league is being built to last.

While I continue to plot out the look and function of the Drive Hockey website, I am also working on the first-ever Drive Hockey Ratings Pack. These are being created from scratch using formulas that will be expanded upon down the line that will not only ensure quality player ratings year after year - but also ensure the methods that will allow this process to be highly streamlined for future seasons.

I have also made the decision due to the uncertainty regarding the current COVID-19 issues that are permeating the NHL to use projection algorithms to better facilitate what a full year's worth of stats would be based on play to date. Per our Rulebook, rerates will be based on 75% of a player's most recent season, and 25% based on their second most previous season. I am building the ratings for the league's launch based on play primarily from this past season, using the aforementioned algorithms to fill in the remainder.

For those who've been injured or have not played as much as they usually would have to this point, there will be a full review at the end of the current NHL season to ensure all players have ratings that properly reflect their current status. Just because Evgeni Malkin hasn't played a game yet this season doesn't mean he will be a poorly rated player, as one example.

Finally, I'd like to personally thank those that have signed up for updates. We are still some time away from beginning our GM search, and there's a lot of work left to do before we launch. But I do know this league will be worth the wait.