Fantasy Hockey Ratings standard (STHS)

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
mbastarache
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Fantasy Hockey Ratings standard (STHS)

Post by mbastarache »

One of the biggest issues from year to year in fantasy hockey leagues has always been the players ratings. From FHL to STHS. No one could ever agree what the ratings should be.

So as a result, you get 10+ sets of ratings from all different leagues. All have their good points and bad points.

I've have countless discusions/disagreements on whats good and whats bad about the ratings in all the available sets.

I've talk to the creator of STHS and he too has no idea what ratings are good or bad.

I've run hundreds of simulations and studied the results. In the process I started developing a guide to create players. I think its time a standard is set for ratings.

That way we can pool all our engergys together, instead of everyone making their own ratings.

Its pretty bang on for the forwards and defensemen. The goaltenders is still a work in progress because there isn't a lot of stats to go off of.

It takes about 5 minutes to create one player. So its a bit of work. But the results are very good.

If you would like to give comments that could help make the guide more accurate, I'm all ears.

Once the season finishes, I will proceed on creating the teams that didn't make the playoffs. If you interested in helping, let me know.

http://www.simhl.net/ratings.html
Foo
The SuperStar

Re: Fantasy Hockey Ratings standard (STHS)

Post by Foo »

Look very good at first, I'll take a look next week.

Nice job.
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

Are you tired of running a season and realizing the ratings for you players make no sense? Why you have awsome checkers with low checking? Crazy fighters that fight 20 times a year with a 50 rating for fighting? 20 year veterans that won many cups with experience and leadership ratings barly over 80?

Why do you have ratings for players that don't match their stats? It doesn't make sense does it? That was my frustrations and feelings last summer. If a guy has 200+ body hits from a season, his rating should reflect it.

No offense to the leagues that have been contributing their ratings to the STHS and FHL circle over the years, but I have to say that the ratings provided were always a matter of opion of the create of the ratings. No rules, just what he thinks they should be. Its quicker and it makes all the sense in the world to him, but maybe not to the other GM's in the league.

It all started when I created the CHL leagues (http://ohl.simhl.net, http://whl.simhl.net, http://qmjhl.simhl.net )

I new the QMJHL really well but the other leagues, not so much. I need a way to create these players even though I didn't know them well. The only way to do that was stats.

Well, I took my 15 years of RPG (Role Playing Game) experience and I applied it to the STHS ratings.

I took the opinion factor completely out of the equation. If you ask any two people in the world to rate a player, well know or not, it will never be the same.

With this standard, you look at stats and the stats create the player. Simple enough. No arguing with people on what the player should or shouldn't be.

Also if your a league that uses classic players or its hard to fine footage like Rusian, Euro or AHL, you have a guide to create the ratings. Its easy to use and fast.

The key to the SHTS game is to know that a 50 goal scorer is in this range of numbers, a 40 goal scorer is within this range, etc...

Once you have everyone within their rangers, if you need more goals, shots or less, then adjust the options slider.

This is six months work, I've run hundreds of tests, and its getting really good. After you create two to three players, it takes about four to five minutes to create a player well. But the end result is an accorate portrayal of the player. Even EA Sports ratings are not as accorate as this.

http://www.simhl.net/ratings.html

And if you want to see some recent test, you can check out this link. Ignore the first four players, I had poeple rank those four players without a guide to see how close they would come. Obviously the numbers are all over the place.

But the goalies down are all created with the guide.

http://www.simhl.net/ratings_test.html

Finally, there is a system out them that sets a standard.

I still have some work to do on the goalies but the forwards work well.
sporting75

Post by sporting75 »

Hello, what game options such as scoring would you use with your ratings standard?
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

I don't have the league options set yet. I think they will end up being around 60 for goals and shots to get the right results to match real life.

I lot of you will be like woo, the players may get the right amount of goals and points but the goalies will suck in stats.

The problem you experience in the past is the using the ratings available through the STHS site. We load the NHL leagues and test. The problem is that the goalies ratings aren't good enough. Why is it that the best goalies in the league/world have ratings mostly in the 80s. Why can't he have a rating in a the 90s?

Aren't they the best in the world? Who then would qualify as having ratings in the 90s?

So we're technically throughing out the old model because it doesn't work. Not matter how you sim it with the league options its you can only get the right skaters stats or the right goalie stats. you can't get both.

So this model will be the closest to real life.
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

Well now that the NHL season is over for 2007-2008 season we are now begining to re-rate the league based on this seasons stats. So far we have six people working on the project but we are still looking for volenteers.

If you have some spare time on you hands over the next four weeks and would be interested in re-rating a NHL team them please contact me.

We are using the guide located at http://www.simhl.net/ratings.html

It takes about a total of 2-3 hours to complete one team. So if you did four or five players a week, it wouldn't take you that long to complete the entire team.

All you need is;

Some spare time
Link to the internet
A spreadsheet program that can open and save .CSV files (Excel)
A love of hockey stats
and patient mate/spouse. :)

If you are interested, please email me with the team you would like to re-rate and I will cross it off the list. I will also supply you with a username and password so you can upload your file to the link below. that is were we keep all the re-rated files for the NHL, QMJHL, OHL and WHL.

http://chl.simhl.net/ratings.php

The teams that are already being re-rated right now are:
Edmonton Oilers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Columbus Blue Jackets
Washington Capitals
Atlanta Thrashers
Ottawa Senators
Chicago Blackhawks
Carolina Hurricans
So anyone can go and open our work to see how we're doing. If they see anything that should be looked at they can send comments to me and i will forward the comments to the creator and we can all debate on that stat.

We hope to complete the process before the prospect draft in June. So if your interested in helping with any of the leagues, we would love to have you.

Thank you so much.

--
SIM Hockey League
Board of Directors

http://www.simhl.net
Hiimself

Post by Hiimself »

It look pretty good sor far for the 4 teams that are re-rated.

What about the SP factor... i've understood it is based upon the size of the player, although it's not that simple.

Don't you think a guy like Nash ins't faster than someone as Darcy Tucker by exemple.??
Hiimself

Post by Hiimself »

Keep on the good work, those ratings are very well done. Very much apprecitaded, can't wait to see em all.
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

Well, we have over half the NHL re-rated and posted. I have five other teams in the works right now.

It's taking us about 3 hours per team.

I have someone writing an Excel sheet with formulas. We will in the future just have to type in the NHL stats like GP, G, A, PIM, etc... and the Excel will create the ratings on a new sheet. Its pretty sweet but wont be ready for another Month. So we will continue making them by hand.

You can download and view the CSV files at http://chl.simhl.net/ratings.php

All ratings are done by math formulas.

The only one that may not be the best is obviously speed. That will always be very judgmental.

The way I have the formula now is based on weight and points. I factor those two because

1. Speed creates scoring opportunitys. So if a guy has a lot of points, that means he gets a lot of scoring opportuntys.
2. The lighter you are the quicker your feet are.

I do realize that never determine how good a player is on his blades, but there is no other way to mathmatically find that out based on numbers provided by NHL.com

Then we're back to creating stats based on what someone thinks rather than using hard numbers.

There are only 4 players that we didn't use the formula for speed. There was a poll in Feburarys Sports Illustrated. It asked overd 400 NHL players who is the fastest.

They said 1. is Marion Gaborek, 2. Sidney Crosby, 3. Brian Campbel and 4. Scott Neidermayer

So they are rate between 99 and 96 for speed with Marion being the only 99 in the game for obvoius reasons.

We expect to have the league re-rated by two weeks anyways.
THuRSDay981
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by THuRSDay981 »

Really nice!
Hiimself

Post by Hiimself »

Good work!

Just one thing, theres no new updates on the page since couple weeks, and two teams are missinge (boston, colorado) is it in your plans to finish it?
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

I'm happy to announce that after six months of hard work that the ratings for 2008 are now complete and ready for download.

I've developed a math formula to create every stat in the game. Even leadership and experience. There is no making up numbers in my head. Everything has a reason.

We rated every player that played at least 1 game in the NHL in 2007-2008.

Stats are built from

Games played
Goals
assists
total points
shots blocked
take aways
give aways
penatly minutes
number of fights
number of awards
number of championships
total ice time
short handed ice time
total face offs
face offs percentage
injurys
where they were selected in the entry draft
years played in the interenation level
years of playoff experience
years of player pro+junior/college level
weight/height

It took five weeks a intense data entry but the results are un matched.

You can leave the STHS options set at 50/100 for all the options. The stats will work great.

You can download 2 verisons. The first version is a just a GOALIE CVS file and a PLAYERS CVS file. You can just import them into your STHS game.

http://www.simhl.net/File/SIMHL_NHL_2008_Ratings.zip

The Second version is a large 60mb ZIP file. it has all the teams as seperate Excel Files with all the formulas. So you can go in and see how all the magic happens.

http://www.simhl.net/File/SIMHL_NHL_200 ... _Large.zip

I wish to thank eveyone for their help and support. We hope you will all love the new stats to get ready for 2008/2009.

NOTE: Those using retro leagues, I will be making a simpler version of this so you can re-create your leagues in the 70s.
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

Someone asked to see a season simulated.

I just did this one quick for you. disabled coaching and injuries to get it done quick.

http://www.simhl.net/SAMPLE/SIM-NHL-Index.html
flutie89
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by flutie89 »

How do you import all that? Because I see Update players stats and Coaches stats, I don't see skaters and goalies seperated.
You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you're gonna do the same for him!
That's a team, gentleman!
Al Pacino - Any Given Sunday
mbastarache

Post by mbastarache »

Its in the manual on the STHS website.

I don't have time to go into details but here is a quick summary.

in the offseason, you click "LEAGUE" then you click "OFFSEASON" then click "UPDATE PLAYERS/COACHES".

In that window, select the players file and click update. After it imports the players, then select the goalis file and update that. Make sure to uncheck the salarys and age option if you don't want to change salaries. Same with the last checkbox, uncheck that. it will erase any player that wasn't in the excel files.