Adapting rules for no "hard" OV?

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Adapting rules for no "hard" OV?

Post by Kramden23 »

My league is in the process of making the switch from FHL to STHS, but we're running into a few dilemas with some of our rules that were OV based. Since STHS has no "hard" OV (as the OV changes with the adjustments of sliders) we've been trying to figure out what to do. So I wanted to see if any other commishes encountered the same problem, and what (if any) your remedy was.

1. Prospects/players making their first appearance in the roster package had their initial salary based on their OV.
2. Our entire RFA compensation chart is based on the OV of the player signed away (too many problems based on salary)
3. Our player dropping restrictions were based on OV. You can't drop a player rated X or higher.

There are a few more, but those are the most important that we need to re-work. I'd really like to hear what you guys do for rules like these in your league, since basing things on OV is pretty much useless. Thanks for any input!
THuRSDay981
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: Adapting rules for no "hard" OV?

Post by THuRSDay981 »

Here, I do EVERYTHING just like the NHL... There's no OV in the NHL, so there's ne "rules" based on OV in the SHLQ!
DHLB Commish
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by DHLB Commish »

Sorry Thursday but I don'T think your answer is what he is looking for.

Hi Kramden,

I myself had a few things based on OVERALLS (Player Resignings of contracts used the OVERALL for a BONUS-EFFECT on actual salary to make sure players COST MORE as thery improved if resigned by same team. We use a set salary system to avoid "salary inflation"). I as well had a RETIRING system that rewarded HIGHER OVERALL versus AGE (basically a LIDSTROM will play much clonger in the NHL than a GRABOVSKY) and other things like that.

Now when I switched to STHS I removed ALL Overalls from the system. Great to see how well your GMs can do without the OVERALL but a problem when all the programs I had made in excel for various calculations used it for various reasons.

I thus found out WHAT the OVERALL VALUE would be if comparing an STHS player to a FHL player based on the sliders I had set for my league and from theire modified my EXCEL sheets.

Best way to do this:

1) Create a new player will all stats at 1
2) Augment the 1st stat to 99 and see the difference it gives to the OVERALL of the player. Basically most of the stats on avertage divisde by 12 with some dividing by 6 (if they are VERY valuable) while some (like potential) divide by 55-60 on average.

From there, I added those values to an excel spreadsheet which I use for the various FORMULAS I use. Note that the FHL and STHS Overalls are not the same but a basis remains. On average, if a player falls between a certain OVERALL in STHS, he would be 9 points below the FHL overall, etc etc.

Takes some work, but took me a good 30 minutes to figure it all out and must say the rtesults are pretty even with what I had in my old FHL system.

Hope this helps. I may have described it a little chaotically but I hope you understand what I tried to explain.

Simply put: If you were using EXCEL sheets or the like, easy to modify by simply modifying your formulas.

If no spreadsheets but just a chart ...then I suggest creating an excel spreadsheet OR finding out what the FHL OV difference is with your STHS Overall value and make a chart stating how much a player must add to the overall of his STHS player value to see how it corresponds to your old charts

OR

modify your charts :)
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

THuRSDay981 wrote:Here, I do EVERYTHING just like the NHL... There's no OV in the NHL, so there's ne "rules" based on OV in the SHLQ!
Um.....yeah, so that really helped lol
DHLB Commish wrote:Hi Kramden,

I myself had a few things based on OVERALLS (Player Resignings of contracts used the OVERALL for a BONUS-EFFECT on actual salary to make sure players COST MORE as thery improved if resigned by same team. We use a set salary system to avoid "salary inflation"). I as well had a RETIRING system that rewarded HIGHER OVERALL versus AGE (basically a LIDSTROM will play much clonger in the NHL than a GRABOVSKY) and other things like that.

Now when I switched to STHS I removed ALL Overalls from the system. Great to see how well your GMs can do without the OVERALL but a problem when all the programs I had made in excel for various calculations used it for various reasons.

I thus found out WHAT the OVERALL VALUE would be if comparing an STHS player to a FHL player based on the sliders I had set for my league and from theire modified my EXCEL sheets.

Best way to do this:

1) Create a new player will all stats at 1
2) Augment the 1st stat to 99 and see the difference it gives to the OVERALL of the player. Basically most of the stats on avertage divisde by 12 with some dividing by 6 (if they are VERY valuable) while some (like potential) divide by 55-60 on average.

From there, I added those values to an excel spreadsheet which I use for the various FORMULAS I use. Note that the FHL and STHS Overalls are not the same but a basis remains. On average, if a player falls between a certain OVERALL in STHS, he would be 9 points below the FHL overall, etc etc.

Takes some work, but took me a good 30 minutes to figure it all out and must say the rtesults are pretty even with what I had in my old FHL system.

Hope this helps. I may have described it a little chaotically but I hope you understand what I tried to explain.

Simply put: If you were using EXCEL sheets or the like, easy to modify by simply modifying your formulas.

If no spreadsheets but just a chart ...then I suggest creating an excel spreadsheet OR finding out what the FHL OV difference is with your STHS Overall value and make a chart stating how much a player must add to the overall of his STHS player value to see how it corresponds to your old charts

OR

modify your charts :)
Hey thanks for your in depth response. I don't use excel sheets, everything is more chart based. But I will take a lot of your ideas into consideration, and again I appreciate the suggestions!
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!