Cheap League...

If you need help building your website, this is the place to hang out. If you're an HTML, PHP, Perl or web database geek, check it out. / Si vous avez besoin d'aide pour construire votre site web, c'est le forum à regarder! Si vous êtes un expert en HTML, PHP, Perl ou en base de données, c'est le forum pour vous!
jer_33
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Cheap League...

Post by jer_33 »

Hey,

I'm considering starting my own league once v2 is available.

In the 2 leagues I'm currently involved in, I know both commish's are spending money to host the files ($10-15/mth).

I wonder if anyone has any experience with hosting the league files using Google Page Creator (100MB fee), or using a "dropbox" which allows 2GB of free space?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jer
DHLB Commish
The Crazy / Le Fou

Re: Cheap League...

Post by DHLB Commish »

Problem with Free sites:

- If you don't get a DOMAIN NAME you have to live with these long weird addresses
- Your sometimes limited in the types of apps you can run (some don'T have PHP, some don't have support for other types of files/actions your pages can take
- Your much more limited in web space and bandwith
- BANNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If none of these things are problems for you (ex: You want to do a simple HTML site with the output from the program, don't care about bannersd and, using just html, risk using maybe 10-12 megs in all of space over a few seasons and don't mind certain "down times" that may occur for "site maintenance" then go for the free one.

if you plan on running the web portal, or making some PHP pages or ASP pages and stuff, I suggest getting a pay site.

Again, what some do is go to a free site, do it for a season or two, see that they love their league and want to expand on it and then switch over to a pay site that meets their budget.

Its all about personal taste.

The BANNERS are what gets to most people though.
Steelhawk
The Crazy / Le Fou

Re: Cheap League...

Post by Steelhawk »