Beware of this GM

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
NHA
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Beware of this GM

Post by NHA »

Got a really active GM a couple of weeks ago, who then today refers me to his buddy, who I allow into the league. A couple of one-sided trades within an hour and I do an IP check and find out it's the same guy. Original GM, when questioned, says he only knows this guy online and not in real life. It's definitely the same guy.

He goes by the name Martin Richards. Other name used was Bryan Copate. Both emails also oddly had their contact name attached to their emails that would change, suggesting he is doing this in other leagues too and can't keep track of the different names he's using. The other names used by the email addresses were Bryan Cohn and Bill Bone.
NHA

Re: Beware of this GM

Post by NHA »

Just wanted to follow up. This GM tried to get back into my league under different names and emails for a week or two, and then stopped. Then, when I went on a spree of hiring new GMs, he got back in under a new name and email. He was smarter this time, changing IP addresses. He got into my league under THREE different names, all using different IP's and appearing similar. I've actually had two other commissioners from other leagues email me to alert me of this guy, after they googled and found that he joined my league after being kicked out of other leagues.

Here is an updated list of names, emails, and IP's:

Martin Richards
Bryan Cohn
Bryan Copate
Eric Desautels
Robert Prach
Craig Smith
Sebastien Trudel
Cristian Demay
Bill Bone
Mason Smith
Casey Clark

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

He always joins leagues that use the portal.
Last edited by NHA on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

I don't doubt that you're having a problem with this GM, but I think there might be some confusion on your part. Just for the record I have had Joe MacDonald ([email protected]) in my league for 2 years now and he has been great! He joined while we were a full league and has never made any questionable trades and every person he has traded with had been in the league for at least several years before Joe showed up. As well his IP address(es) don't match any that you posted.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on Joe so I thought there might be some confusion on your part while trying to put all the info together.
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!
myRPHA.com

Post by myRPHA.com »

Kelly Flewelling? I refuse to believe that. I've had him in my league since 2001 and he's still here. Active GM, volunteers for extra duties and always posting in our boardroom and making trades and sending lines. The guy has never missed a deadline in 11 years.

I don't doubt your troubles, but Kelly can't be your guy unless some one else is using his name as an alias. The Kelly I know is a stand up GM.

Good luck with that and thanks for the update.
Stephen Clow
RPHA Administrator (Ret.)

http://www.myRPHA.ca
NHA

Post by NHA »

Kramden23 wrote:I don't doubt that you're having a problem with this GM, but I think there might be some confusion on your part. Just for the record I have had Joe MacDonald ([email protected]) in my league for 2 years now and he has been great! He joined while we were a full league and has never made any questionable trades and every person he has traded with had been in the league for at least several years before Joe showed up. As well his IP address(es) don't match any that you posted.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on Joe so I thought there might be some confusion on your part while trying to put all the info together.
You are probably right. I don't want to drag anyone's name through the mud so I've taken his name off the list and do apologize.

The way that I got his name was that another commissioner, who had warned me about the cheating GM a few days after I also had figured it out, followed up with me that he suspected Joe MacDonald (who was applying to get into his league) was just this GM in disguise. He must have been wrong. Thanks for letting me know.
Last edited by NHA on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHA

Post by NHA »

myRPHA.com wrote:Kelly Flewelling? I refuse to believe that. I've had him in my league since 2001 and he's still here. Active GM, volunteers for extra duties and always posting in our boardroom and making trades and sending lines. The guy has never missed a deadline in 11 years.

I don't doubt your troubles, but Kelly can't be your guy unless some one else is using his name as an alias. The Kelly I know is a stand up GM.

Good luck with that and thanks for the update.
It appears that this GM (who I call Martin Richards as that was his original name in my league) is using the name Kelly Flewelling here:

http://outlawhockeyleague.com/Sim/1112/ ... MInfo.html

The email associated in the above link ([email protected]) is the email address that was used in my league under the name Eric Desautels.

I've removed the name from my above list, as well as the name "Darren Moulding", which I had also gotten from the above link because it's associated with another one of the GM's emails ([email protected]) which was used in my league as the name "Robert Prach".

Thanks for the information.
MRFHLDylan
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by MRFHLDylan »

This is really interesting. Because Robert Prach when he emailed me and joined was using a government email using that name. Then I caught him and 2 other GMs using the same IP (184.160.106.72) which were named Bruno Brier and Zac Bodnarch. So they were removed. Though little did I know now that Eric Desaultes and Sebastien Trudel were in the league as well.

Well I thought nothing of it and Prach for a while, till I saw this. I also noticed that we removed Eric due to inactivity and he was replaced by Mason Smith. This whole case is just odd, I don't even know how to describe it.
HOFHL

Post by HOFHL »

I want to leave a note on Joe MacDonald too, he is in my league for a long time now and he is a great GM.
But I want to thank for that list, cuase Mason Smith entered our Waiting List a while ago.
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Président ANHS »

I'm not sure about this, maybe a computer geek here could prove me wrong on this... But Commishes should be aware that if GM's in your league work in the same building and know each other, they may eventually end up having the same IP address for their internet connection, therefore making you doubt about the legitimity of your GM's when in fact, they are 2 different persons.

Also the fact that if people have the same internet provider, usually, the first 6 numbers will always be the same and may stay the same for as long as that person is connected to the internet. When they reboot, the IP gets "redistributed" and therefore can end up being the IP of his buddy across the street one hour later.

Just thought I should point this out.
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
myRPHA.com

Post by myRPHA.com »

That's a valid point Steff, if that's your real name...

LOL - just ribbing you pal.
Stephen Clow
RPHA Administrator (Ret.)

http://www.myRPHA.ca