Buyouts

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
mafiaboss
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Buyouts

Post by mafiaboss »

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but wondering how other commishes handle buyouts of players and specifically those that are on the farm. I don;t want a situation where someone sends down a high priced player or passes them through waivers then buying out the player at the discount farm league 10% rate. Or the case where a player is a destined farm team caliber career minor leaguer but earns 500k at pro but 50k at farm level, how would you handle the buyout?

just two scenarios that have been puzzling me while I consider writing up some league rules. Any inpit would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
gab_3020
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: Buyouts

Post by gab_3020 »

I charge GM's 70% of the total contract value.

Actually the STHS pops a window asking 'how much % should the team pay for releasing X player' or something similar.

I just enter 70 and there you go.

From my understanding, even if the player earns $0K in the farm and $4M in the Pro, his contract value is $4M, not $400K. So in my case, the GM would be charged 70% of $4M.

I think the language in the program tells the sim to charge X % of a player's salary when he's in the farm (10% in my case, and probably most cases). This shouldn't be interpreted as such that a player's contract value has magically dwindled down 90%.

As a matter of fact, in my output, salary is full (i.e. $4M) wheter he's on the farm or pro...

So that won't happen I think.
http://lihv2010.dominicborduas.com

I'm bilingual, kindly ask for a translation and I'll provide it.
Je suis bilingue, ne faites que demandé une traduction et je vous la donnerai.
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

It's up to the commish of the league to set the parameters of how buy-outs work.
From there when a team decides to release the player the sim will ask you what percentage the buy-out is.

So if it is set at 50%, a player under contract for 2 years with a $5 mill per year salary will cost the GM $5 mill to buy him out. (50% of the remaining amount owed to the player)
That amount comes from the teams existing current funds. So teams will also have to make sure they have cash in the bank before trying to buy-out a player.

That is how i have it set up in my league.

Hope this helps.
CMHLCommish
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by CMHLCommish »

In our league, GM's pay a pro-rated amount for the current contract year based on how many games are left, and then the full amount for all remaining contract years. It also doesn't matter whether the player is pro or farm, the buyout cost is the full cost of the contract.

Example: Player A has a 4 year, 1 million dollar per year contract. The season is half-way done (41 games played out of 82).

Buyout cost = (41/82)*1,000,000 + 1,000,000 +1,000,000 + 1,000,000 = $3,500,000