POLL: Which ratings are the best?

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
chibouki
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Re: POLL: Which ratings are the best?

Post by chibouki »

Moi je ne peut que dire merci a tous ceux qui font des rating. Je roule ma ligue depuis 5 ans deja et je commence ma 6ieme annee. J'ai decider de faire mes propre rating pour la prochaine annee avec les formules du STHS et je peut vous dire que ces du temps mais bcp de temps a mettre pour faire cela alors chapeau et un GROS MERCI a tous ceux qui en font. C'est toujours la meme chose a chaque annee il y a toujours des mecontants alors prenez et fermer vous. merci
Chibouki
Commissaire LHVO
http://www.lhvo.ca
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

the reason Greg Zanon has 99 DF is exactly why I love these rating the most.
having defensman rated off +/- is just not a good way of judging his DF.
a player who plays for a great team will end up with +40 while a player on a bad
team ends up with -27 ....is that player any less good defensivly then the other ..NO
he is just on a team that is not as good.
having players rated on there ICE time and blocked shots is genious !!!
a player who plays most of his time on the PK tells me he must be good defensivly
or the coach would not play him there.
could Zanon got a 95 instead of a 99 ....maybe
but then ALL other players would have less DF so yeah ..Math dont lie :D
great job Mike and thanks for getting the ratings out as quickly.

others might prefer other ratings and thats fine. it a metter of opinion
and the more pepole who make ratings the better we all come out.
ratings for every opinion :lol:
http://qnhl.net
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Str_QNHL wrote:the reason Greg Zanon has 99 DF is exactly why I love these rating the most.
a player who plays for a great team will end up with +40 while a player on a bad
team ends up with -27 ....is that player any less good defensivly then the other ..NO
a player who plays most of his time on the PK tells me he must be good defensivly

I'm sorry but I have to completely disagree, and for the same reasons you seem to agree with the ratings and how they are calculated. Math does lie, as it is not subjective. Say a player plays in the first game of the season and gets 2 assists, then gets sent down for the year, are you going to pro-rate him with 164 assists? I'm not saying that's what these ratings do, but it shows that math does lie. Here are some examples of how these ratings are way off.....

Dmen with 99DF ratings:
Scott Hannan
Brett Clark
Greg Zanon
Eric Brewer
Barett Jackman
Tom Poti
Zbynek Michalek
Niclas Havelid
Radek Martinek
Karlis Skrastins
Andreas Lilja
Nick Schultz

Others:
Chara 96DF
Pronger 92DF
Nicklas Lidstrom 94DF
Chris Phillips 91DF
Dion Phaneuf 81DF
Edler 67DF
Bryan McCabe 65DF

1. Even if you're the biggest homer in the world and one of the guys on the first list is your favorite player, there is no way you can honestly and seriously say that any of those players are better defensively than Chara, Pronger or Lidstrom.

2. There are just too big of descrepancies. Havelid is 32DF points better than Edler? Tom Poti is 34DF points better than McCabe? It's just too far off.
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

I agree that there should be a factor added to the math for players
who played less games. that is why I go through the list and rate some players down ( usually players with less then 20 games played)
but for the most part I like the way the ratings are done with PK ice time and Blocked shots rather then just go with +/- for the DF
http://qnhl.net
Skwid
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by Skwid »

Kramden23 wrote:
Str_QNHL wrote:the reason Greg Zanon has 99 DF is exactly why I love these rating the most.

I'm sorry but I have to completely disagree, and for the same reasons you seem to agree with the ratings and how they are calculated. Math does lie, as it is not subjective. Say a player plays in the first game of the season and gets 2 assists, then gets sent down for the year, are you going to pro-rate him with 164 assists? I'm not saying that's what these ratings do, but it shows that math does lie. Here are some examples of how these ratings are way off.....

Dmen with 99DF ratings:
Scott Hannan
Brett Clark
Greg Zanon
Eric Brewer
Barett Jackman
Tom Poti
Zbynek Michalek
Niclas Havelid
Radek Martinek
Karlis Skrastins
Andreas Lilja
Nick Schultz

Others:
Chara 96DF
Pronger 92DF
Nicklas Lidstrom 94DF
Chris Phillips 91DF
Dion Phaneuf 81DF
Edler 67DF
Bryan McCabe 65DF

1. Even if you're the biggest homer in the world and one of the guys on the first list is your favorite player, there is no way you can honestly and seriously say that any of those players are better defensively than Chara, Pronger or Lidstrom.

2. There are just too big of descrepancies. Havelid is 32DF points better than Edler? Tom Poti is 34DF points better than McCabe? It's just too far off.
Quick note on McCabe...he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. Having watched him in Toronto, his PA rating would likely be higher if they included the assists he gets on the other teams' goals.

But I digress...

Is Zanon better defensively than Chara? No, no...of course he isn't. But that's 'one stat'. As Mike pointed out, there are many other stats to consider. All it means is that Zanon is likely to 'think' defense faster than Chara...but Chara has many other tools that are better than Zanon which will help him be the better guy at execution of defense. Dig?

It's the same on offense. A guy with a 95 SC is great...but if his other skills are suspect, he may not score as expected. The Strength, speed, Agility and Puck Control to get the puck into a scoring area and put it home is going to make all the difference in the world. And as for +/-, personally I'm sick of people insisting that it has anything to do with defense. It has as much to do with offense as it does with defense. You get a +1 as easily as you get a -1.

About the only change I'd like to see in the DF ratings is perhaps somehow include Takeaways...as that can be a great defensive stat as well.

Great job Mike...keep up the fantastic work!
CNGHL Angus
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by CNGHL Angus »

Icepilot wrote:After reading your explanation i see your point.

If everything is based on stats and the formulas are equal to all players, then i guess it is possible to see a player with a 99DF.
I guess i was being close minded as myself and probably many in the sim hockey world expect to see the what we consider top NHL d-man with the best DF ratings, But like you said "math doesn't LIE and ints not OBJECTIVE."

Has anyone run a test season with these rates yet and if so what would be the Sim slider settings be to get to NHL level stats ?
We switched to this package last year: www.cnghl.net Overall, our league was very satisfied with the results.

We chose SimHL because it used verifiable formulas to establish ratings. We use our own formula for SC and PA. Every GM in our league had an opportunity to review his players' ratings and make adjustments if discrepancies were found. The SimHL site is great for walking guys through that process.

We liked the package for the greater differentiation of the top players from the middling ones. We found other more subjective ratings to be too homoginized. It was hard to tell who the elite guys were from the more above average guys. So, to mbastarache, I salute you! You've done a great job.