iPad / Mobile app

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

iPad / Mobile app

Post by QSHL »

Unfortunately, I've had a few GMs quitting on STHS leagues (mine included) because they barely use their computers anymore for leisures. At work, they use computers -- but don't have time for a league during business hours. At home, they use iPad / tablets / smartphones. And since they cannot use the Client on these devices, they're quitting leagues (mine included).

I wish there was a solution to this. Couldn't making an app that my home computer would understand once a GM sends lines through the app save this situation from happening?!

Thanks!
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: iPad / Mobile app

Post by SimonT »

Been asked numerous time and my answer is always the same : I don't have time (1,000 hours = 6 month at a rate of 40 hours per weeks) to do this. Sorry.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
philfo21
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by philfo21 »

I understand the reality vs the price you charge for the simulator. But don't close the door if you find somebody who can help you with that side of the job because by experience the new mobile web 2.0 grow very fast. Maybe search somebody who can developp that part of STHS in exchange of a % of the mobile sale application. (Its only an idea and i don't have any knowledge in that!)

For me and 3 others friends in my league ; The only reason why we kept our computer its the STHS :And we don't plan to leave the games because that, but it's a reality that we lost some GM and sometimes the participation go down because they can't access with the mobile internet.

like the STHS and and I understand the reality because I worked before in a web project in my free time and I know its hard to manage the time for the real life and the project... :)
opeth771
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by opeth771 »

I totally support this. STHS needs a mobile application, or at least, a way to let us edit lines on a webpage that would be accessible on phones. I know I would pay an extra fee for it... ;)

If I knew how to work with source codes, I would do it :(
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Président ANHS »

opeth771 wrote: or at least, a way to let us edit lines on a webpage that would be accessible on phones.
I support that x1000

This is what Simon should be putting his energy on in the upcoming months. Being able to have a page outputted straight from the sim that let's GM's setup their lines online which sends a line file straight to the league server, or at least, a downloadable file that can be emailed or transferred online somehow.

People are definitely using tablets and smartphones more and more everyday and it sucks that we have to leave our teams hanging while we go on vacation for 1 or 2 weeks. Having the option of doing lines on a webpage would solve that problem and would allow anyone with a tablet or a smartphone to do their lines anywhere at anytime.

This would be the biggest innovation for the STHS and would gain even more popularity quickly in the future instead of slowly losing members...
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

100% agree. Not that I loose GM because of that but some are unable to do lines when they're away for a long period. Of course web 2.0 is still the best options, ALL the sim online, no more client or simulator. But of course, this represent tons of hours of work. Maybe I could help in some things.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I came up with an original solution that can make everyone happy and share the work across multiple developers. I know some of you are building custom PHP website base on the SQLite Database right now and I suspect most of you will keep your work for your league only. On my side, I would like a basic PHP website for the STHS that I could give it away free of charge.

Here, I’m ready to strike a deal with all of you. If, together, we develop a free basic PHP STHS website based on SQLite, we’ll also build a very simple web STHS Client on top of the website. This has the advantage of reusing of lot of code already done for the website. By simple, I mean roster change and lines change for day #1. Basically, the web STHS Client will make the modification live your league SQLite database.

In return, I’ll work to make sure the change that happen in your league SQLite database get upload in the STHS: either by downloading the SQLite database locally and reading the change inside it or by adding PHP code in the Web STHS Client to extract data from the SQLite database into XML and take this XML into the STHS.

Note: This would require me to add data in the SQLite databases for TeamProLines and TeamFarmLines tables.

What do you think of the idea?
-SimonT
JimToupet
STHS Dynamic Website Contributor

Post by JimToupet »

For me I'll prefer an XML file. More simple, less code, less modification (i.e no SQLite modification) and the fastest way. Simply provide a XML schema (structure) for a team line and voilà

A webpage for online line editing (or iPad/iPhone app, Android app, etc.) would create a team XML line file for those who use it. This file can be put in the same directory use for the auto ftp upload line and made STHS able to import .shl and .xml from that folder.

SQLite data export function should strictly serve to give data for website in my opinion.

My 2 cents :)
frank86

Post by frank86 »

Being able to do our lines via smartphones is the things we are asked the most by GMs!

I would see more GM getting into Hockeysim with STHS web version. I dont believe that STHS needs more improvements within the simulator itself but adding the option to do lines online would really upgrade the STHS value in my opinion!
opeth771

Post by opeth771 »

Personally, I know nothing about SQLite databases, and I don't even know how to use it on my webserver (compared to other databases). So I would much prefer another solution, unless you can give me some hints (lol).
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

great idea!
RockNPucks

Post by RockNPucks »

I'd like to reUp that thread as it is something that we have discussed this weekend at our annual prospect Draft and it's truly becoming an innovation that would save a lot of trouble to some of our GMS here in 2015. Some of our guys don't even a computer anymore, not to mention the incompabilities with Windows8 or MAC. Could be an iPhone app be done, one that would ultimately create the .stc file and forward it to the commisionner by the click of a button? We're thining in the process of setting up the app to your phone, users would have to include their commissionners' email address so he could receive them directly to his inbox.

We were thinking about a simple two-tone interface, with the usual "1-2-2" sliders for each line, click on a line spot and select a player from the roster list, ability to send players to farm/pro, and then press "save and send".

Could that be done? I'm sure we have at least one crack head (virtually speaking) among us, with some "extra time" on his hand.

Guys?
hugocaha
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by hugocaha »

Moi je serais partant pour faire de ce système une application web. Cela pourrais fonctionner avec le même système de licence avec seulement une installation. Elle fonctionnerais sur toute les plate-forme tan Windows mac Linux tablette téléphone android ios etc. Je suis partant a coder tout cela mais mon seul problème c'est algorithme pour les match simulé qui me manque. Je ferais sa bilingue, j'aimerais vraiment faire ce projet. Qui aimerais ça ce projet?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Je sais que JimToupet travaille déjà sur quelques choses. P-t veux-t-il en parlé ici? P-t qu'il veut mettre ça sur GitHub? (Je peux mettre ça sur mon propre compte GitHub).
-SimonT
hugocaha
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by hugocaha »

ce qui me manque c'est de comprendre algorytme, qurlqu'un pourrais m'aider