Using CSV/XML output for web design

If you need help building your website, this is the place to hang out. If you're an HTML, PHP, Perl or web database geek, check it out. / Si vous avez besoin d'aide pour construire votre site web, c'est le forum à regarder! Si vous êtes un expert en HTML, PHP, Perl ou en base de données, c'est le forum pour vous!
mafiaboss
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Using CSV/XML output for web design

Post by mafiaboss »

Does anyone have any helpful tips and direction in using STHS's csv/xml features? I would like to use the outputted data to formulate my own html pages, but not sure where to even begin. I am a quick learner but have not done anything like this before. Does anybody recommend where to start, and also any example sites on how to make use of these csv/xml files (apart from the SIM Web portal)?

Ideally, I would like to setup a news page where it draws the big movers and shakers of the day/week/month etc. from various categories in those data files. Also, to use the output data on my own customized backdrop html pages so its not all in white as the STHS regalur outputted html pages.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Mafiaboss
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Using CSV/XML output for web design

Post by SimonT »

Best way to learn is

1) Learn to add data in a database
2) Learn how to extract data from a database via SQL query.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

3) pay someone to do it for you... like me :) check my website.
mafiaboss

Post by mafiaboss »

Would using MS Access be recommded?

FOO: May I even dare to ask what this may cost? Would I be able update myself afterwards?
Kitsune
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kitsune »

There is that website stuff that uses csv/xml available in the commish corner board.
mafiaboss

Post by mafiaboss »

Kitsune wrote:There is that website stuff that uses csv/xml available in the commish corner board.
???? Not sure what you are talking about. I searched that board and couldn;t find what you are referring to. Please clarify?
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

mafiaboss wrote:???? Not sure what you are talking about. I searched that board and couldn;t find what you are referring to. Please clarify?
See here : http://sths.simont.info/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3665
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
mafiaboss

Post by mafiaboss »

If I wanted to simply make use of the .csv & .xml files and export into .html in my own defined way, would MS Access be sufficient? Any other programs would you recommend to import the data and export the database to ,html?

I realize there is a paid website out there and people who could do this for me for a $$$, but I would like to try it myself to start first by manipulating my own file extracts using the exported STHS .csv/.xml files. Anyone have some thoughts ideas?
NHA
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by NHA »

http://www.gossamer-threads.com

Use the program "dbman" available there. it's a series of scripts written in Perl, and on the forums on that website there is a forum dedicated to editing the output. This dbman (stands for database manager) will read the csv files output by STHS and pretty much do everything you want with them. But, there is a boat load of editing to do.

Virtually every feature on my website - http://www.nhahockey.com - is powered by dbman.