Overall Rating

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
NWOHL
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Overall Rating

Post by NWOHL »

Hi Guys, this is my first year running a league and I have a question re the ratings. How does the overall get calculated? Are all the different ratings for checking, def, experience etc all weighted or is there some formula. Bunch of the guys in my league were curious. It seems the overall rating has an impact on how they perform, which yes stands to reason but when I compare an Alfredsson at 76 and Kane at 68 it really skews how they perform. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
NWOHL
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Overall Rating

Post by SimonT »

It's a very weird formula. In V2, you'll be able to create your own formula.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
ynohtna
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by ynohtna »

from my understanding, OV isn't even used in the game... it's just there because so many people insist on an OV rating.
BFHL Admin/Commish
http://www.thebfhl.ca/bfhl
Now in Season 15, using BRHL Player v2.1 Ratings modified.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

ynohtna wrote:from my understanding, OV isn't even used in the game... it's just there because so many people insist on an OV rating.
Absouluty correct!
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by QSHL »

We got rid of the OV when we switched to STHS and after a month or two of small complaints, now my GMs don't want to go back. They really, really prefer the non-OV ratings.
TimelessCommish
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by TimelessCommish »

Yes, unlike the FHL, i have found that the OV has little if any effect what so ever on the actual simming.. it seems to be more of a bench mark than any actual requirement... i have seen countless leagues where players with like 70-80ov rating get owned by the lowly 63ov player.. It is more a matter of individual statistics... You can have a little player with a high skating and high scoring who is just a 63ov, bulge the twine a lot more than a 70ov who has most of his stats high on things like checking, fighting, strength & durability...

It also depends on who is playing with the players... i dont know how the sim does it, but there does seem to have some element with Chemistry... as i have seen a line with guys like Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy & Guy Lafleur get picked apart and shut down by low OV players, simply because the superstar guys just didnt seem to gel.

So my advise is do not worry about OV, worry about individual stats... if someone is all gungho about OVs.. let them be, you'll know better :)