Power play % and other thoughts

This temporary section in English only contains idea / feedback / suggestion / problem related to the simulation engine beta.
LUF
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Re: Power play % and other thoughts

Post by LUF »

I know, was just suggesting it. Considering the whole thread, i think not everybody agree on the degree of randomization that should be used in the sim. Adding such a variable would only help make STHS "better" (as in deeper).
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Open Piss-Off Mode
SimonT wrote:The V2 been available for more that 6 months and you are asking me to change this at the 2-4 weeks before the final release! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Now, I get ask to create a Random variable?? You think I decided what number the computers processor give to a random call between 0 and 99! Sorry but enough said about this thread.

Question : How can any rating creator give 99 of PA to Alex Ovechkin when Henrik Sedin got 83 passed versus 59 for Alex Ovechkin!

gave you the info how players decided what to do with the puck, thinks about it!

Close Piss-Off Mode
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
LUF
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by LUF »

LUF wrote:I know, was just suggesting it.
Pas besoin de se pomper. C'était qu'une suggestion. J'ai même jamais dit que ça devrait y être pour le V2.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

I just like the piss-off mode!

Let's just put mustard on it!

Ovechkin as a 10 diffenrecial between SC and PA in my ratings, but register a lot more asssits then goals...I have a list of examples like that, there is an issue with the socring Simon, piss-off mode open or not!
jwr38
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by jwr38 »

the thing to me is that I have not have had the sim for 6 months. ;) Many people are now completing their first season with version 2 and seeing that the engine does not work like it does in version 1. It gives such random results that it seems it doesn't matter how you build your team that the sim takes over.

I know leagues now moving back to version 1 as with version 2 the randomness is so bad that it has stopped trading, people sending in lines and GM basically giving up. There is a problem with scoring. Top players do not preform like top players.

As you see with my player creator that I have a very limited way of creating PA 99 SC 99 guys. My problem is that SC often are out scored by PA players. Version 1 gave much more stable results so far than version 2. All the extra bling in version 2 goes to waste as it all seems that the stats a player is given really mean next to nothing once a season starts.
starfrit
The SuperStar

Post by starfrit »

Same thing here. All GM's like the new options, but I lost 2 GM's last season because they didn't like at all the way V2 simulates the games, and I almost lost a 3rd. I also was asked to switch back to V1.

Simon, we do not want you to reprogram the engine from scratch, but jwr38 said, many of us are seeing these things after completing our first real season, thing we couldn't see while testing alone. Like I said earlier, many of my GM's didn't bother playing with strategies at mid season because nothing make sence ( no shots and no goals with 5 offence everywhere, and 7-8 goals games with all defence). Nobody can find a good pathern with the strategies with all that randomness. So if strategies are so useless because of that, I too sometimes think we should gop back to V1

If V1 simulation engine was so good, why did it change in V2 ?
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

I really think V2 engine is still better.

I'll put a quick one here to try fix the scoring issues.

Simon, will it be complicated to add Star power in scoring habilities in engine?? I mean if the problem is that 70-80 rated players are on top of 80-99 rated players in leaders, maybe adding star power in the mix would help and could fix temporarely this issue.

Also in my testing this winter, I pointed out a lot, and I mean a lot, of dumping pucks in the full play-by-play... having star players dumping pucks less, and passing, shooting or moving the puck more should help too.

Voilà.. it's good to point out some problem, but it's better to suggest someting to fix it...

switching to V1 should not be an option for a beta tester, come on guys!
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

A simulating engine is like a woman, you change one little parameters and everything got off balance by miles. They are some formula that I cannot change because they impact everything in the engine and it takes me 2 months to retest all the others formulas. I simulate millions of season with different combination to get right balance between 24 results (Goa l per Game, PP%, Shot per Game, Penalty, Hits, Shot Block, Fight, Faceoff, bunch of Defense VS Forward and more). The V2 engine is not that different from the V1 engine. The formulas are almost the same.

In the 0.9.11, you’ll see a new “secret feature” available for rating creator / tester. It’s a feature that allows anyone to simulate multiple season with different pro game option. You could run up to 9,039,207,968 seasons of 5000 matches if you really want to. I use that feature to test the simulating engine in-out myself. With that feature, I have high hope that you’ll be able to get the result you want when creating your rating. You will also be able to suggest game option that achieved the result you want.

As a side note, in 0.9.11, I only did 1 modification to the engine to help high SC players to score more. I modified the formula that decided to who a successful pass to go and I boost that the high SC should receive pass more often.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français