Standings tie-breaking

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Standings tie-breaking

Post by laving »

I'm a few days into the schedule in my new league, and I notice that the standings tie-breaks does not look like the NHL. Is this something that fixes itself after all games are played? Anyway, I think this should get cleaned up even during the season, since the Waiver priority follows the standings. When I write this, Calgary have first waiver priority in my league, but they should have 4th or 5th according to my understanding of the NHL tie-breaking rules.

NHL tie-breaking rules:
https://www.nhl.com/info/standings-info ... -procedure

STHS standings doesn't take into account goal differential:
https://laving.se/fhl/Standing.php

Or did I miss an option somewhere? :)
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Standings tie-breaking

Post by SimonT »

Tell me what you think is wrong? And it depend on your Tie Breaking option also.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

It doesn't seem like the STHS takes goal differential into account in the tie-breaking.

I have 6 teams at 0 points in my league. Standings is sorted correctly based on number of games played (typically point percentage). But they don't get sorted by goal differential, which my understanding of the tie-breaking rules says they should.

I use Tie-breaker 2019 option.

Let's use my league and the 6 teams with 0 points as an example against the NHL tie-breaking rules:

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
- My 6 teams with 0 points are sorted correctly based on games played. 1 team have 1 GP. 4 teams have 2 GP. 1 team have 3 GP.

2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., 'Regulation Wins'). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
- Not in play, since they have 0 wins.

3. The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

4. The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e., 'Total Wins'). This figure is reflected in the W column.

5. The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.
- Not in play, since they haven't played against each other.

For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the 'odd game') shall not be included.
When more than two Clubs are tied, the percentage of available points earned in games among each other (and not including any 'odd games') shall be used to determine standing.

6. The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.
- This should be the next tie-breaker, but it isn't. The 4 teams at 0 points and 2 GP are not sorted by goal differential. This is their goal differential in order:

7. The greater number of goals scored (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the GF column.
- 2 of the teams needs this tie-breaker to get sorted, and those 2 teams get sorted wrong. This is their goals for in order:
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

I realize now that it's only teams with 0 points that does not get sorted correctly.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

laving wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 am I realize now that it's only teams with 0 points that does not get sorted correctly.
Why? Carolina has 2 Games Played so they are higher than Columbus and Calgary.

Columbus differential is -3 and Calgary is -5 so Columbus better than Calgary.
-SimonT
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by laving »

At the time there were 4 teams at 0 points and 2 GP. They were sorted in this order on goal differential:

The two teams at -5 in goal differential were sorted in this way on Goals For:
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Send me your league file when this happen so I can check out please.
-SimonT
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Looking at the code, you are correct in saying a team without any points, the tie breaker at some point stop applying. In my note inside the code, I found a piece of code that says this was “block” because it was causing issue in some case in the beginning of season when the STHS try to check “The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.” when team has 0 points.
-SimonT