Jersey Numbers

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Re: Jersey Numbers

Post by Président ANHS »

Foo wrote:Simon I think it's time to create a CSV called EXTRA.CSV with all the infor we ask that you don't want to output for the only reason : "I dont want to fu** up the web portal users". Well if you create this extra CSV and put all the informations we want in it, it's a win win solution I think. Like the player numbers for them and the 1-way contract cap hit for me.
I second that idea!
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Tell me, how do you read the CSV file with your program?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

same here ..
Add ALL the info not currently in the CSV into a EXTRA CSV
http://qnhl.net
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

SimonT wrote:Tell me, how do you read the CSV file with your program?
who are you talking to?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Every 3 months, you keep asking me to add information in the CSV and break any software that uses it and expect the length to be the same. I don’t do the support for this.

I don’t understand why you don’t use the XML. They can be easily read by PHP (simplexml_load_file function), JavaScript (XMLHttpRequest) or the .Net software like the STHS API.
-SimonT
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

An extra CSV file will break nothing since no sofware are using it, but will gladly be welcome by those like me that are able to use it.

CSV is better, simpler and faster for database running leagues like mine, portal and others.
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

I agree with Foo.
a extra CSV will break nothing.

just do 1 extra csv file and add whatever could help.
those who can use it will make it work and those who cant will just not use it.

STHS is always adding things and thats what makes the program so much better
then all the others. but adding options to the program also means having to add
stuff to CSV so we could better use those new options with our websites.

I 100% agree with Simon to NOT add to the STHS and break the portal
but for all the other websites who have people who can work with the data
why not add a 2nd CSV file and add to it when new options come out.

I have no problem at all modifying my database to work with new addons in the CSV file
every time something new is added and im sure many other will agree with me on that
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

1 Extra now, 1 Extra in 3 months, 1 Extra in 6 months, 1 Extra in 9 months. How many time you ask for extra CSV in the last 4 years? Should I list them all?
-SimonT
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Agreed, that's why you have to do it ;)

I mean we don't ask to add columns in existing CSV anymore that's a first and a win for you! We just want an extra file called EXTRA.csv that will store info that we need !

thank you!
myRPHA.com
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by myRPHA.com »

SimonT wrote:Every 3 months, you keep asking me to add information in the CSV and break any software that uses it and expect the length to be the same. I don’t do the support for this.

I don’t understand why you don’t use the XML. They can be easily read by PHP (simplexml_load_file function), JavaScript (XMLHttpRequest) or the .Net software like the STHS API.

The problem here Simon is that when we want to run the "Export Ratings Packs" or "Update Players" options which are excellent tools to make mass changes to the database, those options use csv files and not xml files. xml files are great for manipulating information to display on our websites, but then to try an manipulate data in the software, we are limited to using csv files. This is why I would like to see jersey numbers added to the players and goalies csv files as well as the player edit screen. I don't give a crap about the html files. They are a thing of the past if a website is using csv and xml files to display data.

I understand that it could break software that uses the files, but it would not be the first time things were changed and we had to adjust. The csv columns have been renamed before or columns have changed before and we have made changes to reflect that. Even the Index file name has been changed from "Index" to "index"(lower case) in the past. My point is, change can be good and STHS has always been a moving target. The fact that it has a developer still willing to update and improve it speaks to the quality of the software.

I agree XML files are super tools, but as long as the STHS Utility or Update Players functions for example, continue to use csv files, we are a bit handcuffed. I use these options all the time to add new players from our player creator or to update ratings after we use our rerating software.

No disrespect!
Stephen Clow
RPHA Administrator (Ret.)

http://www.myRPHA.ca
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

Adding info at the end of the csv or in a new csv does not harm the programs that are alredy done
RPHALabs
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by RPHALabs »

Simon, thank you for the addition of the Jersey Numbers. I believe this is a great asset to all leagues. When it comes to realism and player identity, a players number is who they are. Most numbers you can mention and people will know who you are talking about i.e. 99, 66 etc. So I believe this adds a whole new dimension to the league.

As for the debate between CSV and XML files that goes on here I agree with Simon that there is absolutely no difference in how to use the information on the web. If its a PHP built site, CSV and XML can and will do the exact same thing. However, being one of the web developers for the RPHA my issue is file size.

RPHA Player File Differential as of September 11, 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------------
RPHA25-Players.csv 884,464 Kb (0.844 Mb)
RPHA25-Player.xml 11,224,116 (11.224 Mb)

Using a file over 10Mb, needing to upload it to a web server, and then call, and read it is very performance intensive. Bandwidth usage would go crazy having to call that file everytime you want just the Jersey number information.

I don't quite understand how adding the field to the end of the CSV file would break a website, I know there is not one isntance of anything I have built that counts the fields in the CSV. So if there are sites that are doing it this way, I feel thats poor development and no room for advancement but that is my opinion and I would open that debate for anyone that would like to discuss.

I would like to bring up the usage of Jersey Numbers throughout the XML files. Boxscores for example. A boxscore XML file should encompass everything that happens in that game. It captures alot of information and with the newly required Jersey Number in there, it should bring that information in as well. For archiving purposes, if a players number changes in the future, the boxscore should have that players number at that time, not cross referencing a file with an updated number.

(Also boxscores should have a teams W-L-T-SOW-OTW-OTL-SOL record BEFORE the game AND AFTER the game as this captures information that can not be reproduced anywhere else, but that would be for another forum post)

Thanks again for Jersey Numbers.
Str_QNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Str_QNHL »

RPHA25-Players.csv 884,464 Kb (0.844 Mb)
RPHA25-Player.xml 11,224,116 (11.224 Mb)

Using a file over 10Mb, needing to upload it to a web server, and then call, and read it is very performance intensive. Bandwidth usage would go crazy having to call that file everytime you want just the Jersey number information. ( or any other info )

no need to say anything else !!
uplaoding a 10+ MB file after every sim makes no scence

I love STHS and I dont like arguing with Simon ..he already does allot for us but I feel that
I dont have a choice here as this CSV thing is asked by many and is just to important not
to fight for
Président ANHS
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Président ANHS »

My team only has 16 teams and I think the player xml still has 4 megs or something...thats a lot...
Steff Thouin
Président ANHS Commish
www.anhs.qc.ca

21 ans / 30 saisons de simulation
21 years / 30 sim seasons
starfrit
The SuperStar

Post by starfrit »

In the past, I had lots of problems uploading players.csv on the portal, many timeouts because of the size of the file. So adding more data in this file may cause more problems that people thinks
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com