My two important suggestions

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
Philippe27
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

My two important suggestions

Post by Philippe27 »

Suggestion #1:
After simming many seasons I have noticed PP% was very low. I simmed a season with very little penalties and one with max penalties. Here are the results:
Season 1: 68 809 PIM. 90.5% average save PCT
Season 2: 35 061 PIM. 88.2% average save PCT
NHL ES average save PCT: 91.5%
NHL PP average save PCT: 86.2%

About 5% more shots should be goals when a team is facing a PP which is not the case with the current code as you can see. I think solving this will solve the issue of teams not scoring enough on the PP.

Suggestion #2:
As I have said there is a lack of assists. I looked through the play-by-play and one thing I found is for example:
Pass to Ric Jackman. Pass to Jozef Stumpel. Shot by Jozef Stumpel. Shot Misses Goalie. Free Puck Retrieved by Sean Hill for Florida. Pass to Jozef Stumpel. Shot by Jozef Stumpel. Goal by Jozef Stumpel

On a play like this, I believe in the NHL an assist would be awarded to Ric Jackman and to Sean Hill. Assists in the NHL are awarded much more generously than in Europe and I think if you fix this then it will make the statistics much more realistic.

I worked hard on finding this and I really hope you consider these 2 suggestions because I truly believe they would make your sim better.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

I think we should wait and test with different ratings, 5% it's not a big gap for me. Assists look fine for me at this time of testing.
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

Foo wrote:I think we should wait and test with different ratings, 5% it's not a big gap for me. Assists look fine for me at this time of testing.
I tested with tons of ratings. 5 % is a HUGE DIFFERENCE.
As for assists if you shouw me a season you simmed where the top goal scorer had 55 goals and the top in assists had over 90 assists then I'll believe you.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Ah! Suggestion #2, this is the kind of bug / feed back that I understand! That has been fixed in 0.9.2! For suggestion #1, I made a very small modification.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

SimonT wrote:Ah! Suggestion #2, this is the kind of bug / feed back that I understand! That has been fixed in 0.9.2! For suggestion #1, I made a very small modification.
Great, thanks so much, I'm glad we could understand each other. I'm a stats guy and your a programmer but I'll try to find ways to solve the stats issues instead of just saying that's wrong.
I can't wait for 0.9.2 and hopefully the stats look good if not I'll look for something else.
Great work!
Kev
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Kev »

Philippe27 wrote:
SimonT wrote:Ah! Suggestion #2, this is the kind of bug / feed back that I understand! That has been fixed in 0.9.2! For suggestion #1, I made a very small modification.
I can't wait for 0.9.2 and hopefully the stats look good if not I'll look for something else.
Great work!
It has been released 20 minutes ago ;)
Kevin Belleau
STHS support team / Équipe de support STHS

Président de la LAHSQ
Ancien président de la LVHQ, 2002 - 2007
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

lvhq wrote:
Philippe27 wrote:
Great work!
It has been released 20 minutes ago ;)
Lol yeah, I just saw, I'm testing it right now :)
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

Unfortunately it still looks like the assists are very low. On first look I see two possible things that are missing. One is that it seems that by reading the play-by-play there are very few goals scored on rebounds are deflections when in reality that's how most goals are scored in the NHL and also those goals generate more assists than intercepted pass, pass and score.
I'm not sure if that's easy to add or not but truth is I think this needs to be fixed pretty quickly because it's true that play-by-play is great and all but bottom line is GM's look at stats and if those are not realistic some will get upset. I will do my best and keep reading th eplay-by-play and see if I can come up with any other solutions because I really believe in this sim and I want it to succeed.
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

Philippe27 wrote:Unfortunately it still looks like the assists are very low. On first look I see two possible things that are missing. One is that it seems that by reading the play-by-play there are very few goals scored on rebounds are deflections when in reality that's how most goals are scored in the NHL and also those goals generate more assists than intercepted pass, pass and score.
I'm not sure if that's easy to add or not but truth is I think this needs to be fixed pretty quickly because it's true that play-by-play is great and all but bottom line is GM's look at stats and if those are not realistic some will get upset. I will do my best and keep reading th eplay-by-play and see if I can come up with any other solutions because I really believe in this sim and I want it to succeed.
bump
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Hey, I read it but I don't plan to do another build this week. Maybe next week, I'll see how it go.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 »

SimonT wrote:Hey, I read it but I don't plan to do another build this week. Maybe next week, I'll see how it go.
Awesome, thank you.
I just wanted to make sure you had read it, you're doing great work.

If you need any help with other stats stuff I would love to help you out.