Questions before I purchase...

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
laving
The Crazy / Le Fou

Questions before I purchase...

Post by laving »

I'm thinking about purchasing a licence and start a league again. I consider myself a long time user of the STHS, but that's between 2006 and 2014 or so. There are some major new stuff since I left, so I have a few questions before I make a purchase.

* The STHS hosting. I just want to make sure I get this right. It's not possible to edit CSS, pictures (logos), and stuff like that, right?

* Is there any help to get on setting up the dynamic website on other hosting? I understand how to upload files, but there's a database and stuff like that that I'm not sure what to with. General guides? Anything? This is the biggest concern I have. I don't want to make a purchase and then don't have a clue how to put my league on the internet.

* PHP is not "my game". My knowledge stopped at html. :P . To make an update after a sim, which files goes up on the server? All php files? More? Less? (I'm not planning on using the built in FTP feature to start with, just to learn how things works).

* Can php files be manually edited without overwriting changes after an output? Like, lets say I want a discord link on the website. Is that doable without extreme pain?

* Starting a league with the provided league file doesn't have any waiver settings attached to the players (Can NOT play farm, force waiver, or what ever you want to use). What is the easiest way to get these settings in place right from the start? Setting every player's contract to 0 and start by forcing GMs to sign contracts via Automatic Free Agents? Or is there an automated function where I can import a csv or something?

* Pending Free Agents. I remember that I figured the easiest way to handle players age vs free agent status (for the GMs to understand), was to let every player be born december 31st. But that typically had players just at the UFA age be shown as RFA before december 31st. How does guys do this today? Either if you want to have the real birth days or december 31st as the birth days, what's the optimal settings to always show the right free agent status?

* I'm planning on making my own player databases and share them with the community. I know how to write necessary formulas in excel and all that, but I'm looking for the easiest way to import data from the NHL, AHL, and maybe even ECHL. I don't write code outside excel. Is this done by coding that's considered "industry secrets"? :D Or is there any help to get? NHL.com lets you download csv files from their stats pages, but that's max 100 players per csv file, and only one stats summary at the time (which makes it a lot of csv file downloading to get everything). For the AHL I found a website where you can download an csv file with all AHL basic statistics, but that csv file needs some serious washing. Is there an easier way for a guy that does not write code, but maybe could manipulate code? Or is this the same kind of problem described in the thread about NHL API?

* The dynamic website has some nice features to them. GMs can post trades. Waivers. Roster and Lines changes. How does this correspond with the simulator? Does all of these features correspond with the simulator? Or are for example Trades and Waiver set up so that I still need to put them in to the simulator manually? How does these things work?

I'll probably have more questions... :D
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Questions before I purchase...

Post by SimonT »

You can submit your logo (aka TeamID). This is only thing possible.

It's the same than before. That you were doing between 2006 and 2014, you can continue doing the same.

Same than before. You upload the content of your Output Folder in your webserver. Some file only changes when you change STHS version, some files change every day depending on the STHS option you select.

MassEdition :)

Setup the "Use Date instead of Now for Age Calculation for Free Agent" option. Then watch magic. :)

The only option is the NHL API but as you saw in another thread, it change often. :(

It depends on the STHS option you pick. You buy the STHS hosting, the correct options are forced upon you and you have nothing to do. :) You press "Simulate" or "Auto Load Lines" function and Harry Potter does all the magic for you.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français