Realism issues

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Re: Realism issues

Post by Icepilot »

Brodeur may be the best goaltender in the league in your opinion, but in the NHL this year i find he is not playing like the best.

And dude. this is just a game, try not taking this too serious.

In my league i have players not playing up to their NHL counterparts but i am not complaining, i am just making the best of it.
I also have some mediocre players having outstanding years which could happen in the NHL.
Rovy
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by Rovy »

I'm not going by NHL or personal opinion of who is the best goalie, but by league ratings.

And despite the fact Brodeur may not be playing his best, he's still top 10 out of full time starters in the NHL for save %.

You're right, it is a game. But it's a game that Simon is making money off of, while based on this thread, caring nothing about his customers concerns, or the integrity of this game.

If this was just ONE season in the league where Brodeur sucked, I'd shrug it off as unlucky and a bad season. But this is THREE consecutive seasons. That goes beyond just luck
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

To question Simon's integrity is just not right.

He has spent many hours trying to make a great sim, and for you to come here and bash it is not right.

I feel, and i am sure there are many more out there, that i/we have paid my/our money and am/are 100% satisfied with the product.

There has been no shortage of updates to correct some bugs and have always found Simon is up to the challenge to keep adding new content to the sim. Something the FHL had not done in over 3 years.

So if you don't find this product to your liking, just don't use it.

And if i remember, in the FHL i always felt some players never played to their NHL expectations. So if Brodeur sucks here it most likely has to do with either his rates or the sim settings.

And like i said to the FHL community, Please stop looking at the OV, it means nothing. Look at the individual ratings.
To make this easier for you, just check off the OV button and you will not see any STHS OV ratings.
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

I've been patient. Simon's said nothing useful about this issue. I've shown proof, and instead of saying anything, it seems like he's just ignoring it.

I never came here to bash it. I came here to bring up an issue that I felt needed to be fixed to improve the sim. However the responce I've had is basically to tell me that it doesn't exist.

Correcting bugs is great, and I've heard that this is the most stable sim. That's great. However, things continue to be added on without fixing the realism issues in the sim.

As for looking at his other ratings, what a novel idea. I never thought to do that.... lemme see, Brodeur's still the top rated in most categories if not #2 or 3. So OV or not, he's still the top goalie. So don't say it's the rates or settings, otherwise the rest of the league should be playing just as poorly.
CNGHL Angus
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by CNGHL Angus »

Rovy wrote:I've been patient. Simon's said nothing useful about this issue. I've shown proof, and instead of saying anything, it seems like he's just ignoring it.

I never came here to bash it. I came here to bring up an issue that I felt needed to be fixed to improve the sim. However the responce I've had is basically to tell me that it doesn't exist.

Correcting bugs is great, and I've heard that this is the most stable sim. That's great. However, things continue to be added on without fixing the realism issues in the sim.

As for looking at his other ratings, what a novel idea. I never thought to do that.... lemme see, Brodeur's still the top rated in most categories if not #2 or 3. So OV or not, he's still the top goalie. So don't say it's the rates or settings, otherwise the rest of the league should be playing just as poorly.
What, in your opinion, needs to be "fixed"? What is so broken that has to be changed? To just say that Broduer needs to play better or that the software needs to be more "realistic" oversimplifies things. You need to identify why he was playing so poorly in the first place. Frankly, I don't think you've done that yet.

If you're just looking for someone to turn a switch on to make Brodeur superhuman, I don't think it's possible. There are just way too many mathmatical variables for that to happen IMO. The fact that he's playing better on a different team is proof of that.
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

What needs to be fixed is the better players need to be the better players. I don't know WHAT caused the problem, as I don't have access to the sim code, and Simon doesn't seem to want to say anything about it. It's not JUST Brodeur. I've noticed this with top goalies in other STHS leagues.

You're right that there are a lot of mathematical variables, which is why a smulator needs to be coded very carefully so that it's not 100% random.

I'd expect him to play better on a different team, as they have much better defenece. But again, that should be recorded in his GAA, while his save % should be somewhat similar. A team with good defence should limit shots, and in connection, goals. But when he was consistantly facing 16-20 shots in 50 minutes, he shouldn't be letting in 4 goals
CNGHL Angus

Post by CNGHL Angus »

Rovy wrote:What needs to be fixed is the better players need to be the better players. I don't know WHAT caused the problem, as I don't have access to the sim code, and Simon doesn't seem to want to say anything about it. It's not JUST Brodeur. I've noticed this with top goalies in other STHS leagues.

You're right that there are a lot of mathematical variables, which is why a smulator needs to be coded very carefully so that it's not 100% random.

I'd expect him to play better on a different team, as they have much better defenece. But again, that should be recorded in his GAA, while his save % should be somewhat similar. A team with good defence should limit shots, and in connection, goals. But when he was consistantly facing 16-20 shots in 50 minutes, he shouldn't be letting in 4 goals
In your 12 team league, if a top goalie faces just 20 shots per game facing premier snipers (the SC ratings or Goals slider could be set too high?), their higher than normal shooting percentages will mean more goals will be scored at will than in a league with 20 or 30 teams. 4 goals on 20 shots = poor save percentage. If he faced 30 or 40 shots per game, his save percentage would be better, no? For the record, I have had the opportunity to play with the slider settings in our league so I've seen what happens when they move up or down a few points.

Your league's slider adjustments appear to be skewed to make the scorers stand out at the expense of the goaltenders. I really think your commissioner needs to find more teams so you can have more grinders taking shots on your goalies. You may also want him to adjust the sliders to achieve better balance of scoring and shooting so the goalies can have more success. If you've let the Sim re-rate your players over the last few seasons, you may also want to update their ratings with a 3rd party Player Rating package like DVHL.
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

Why do I have to say this more than once.

It's not JUST Brodeur's Save %. It's his save % VS THE REST OF THE LEAGUE. Other goalies in the league don't have such poor save %'s
CNGHL Angus

Post by CNGHL Angus »

Different teams in front of each goalie. If you had Brodeur in net for each team and simmed 10 or 20 or 30 games, his SV % would be different each time. I'd bet my only child on it. :) Again, the team in front of the goalie is another variable you have to consider. So many variables can change and yield so many different possible results.

Keep in mind too that the software does not look at a name and just go, "Oh! He's Brodeur so he MUST be elite." I think you're hung up on one player's reputation. The software sees just the numbers. It's a random number generator for all intents and purposes spitting out results based on the combinatation of ratings combined with 19 other players' ratings pitted against 20 other players' ratings combined with slider variables that affect the outcome of each game. You could blame his ratings or you can blame your commish for not setting the sliders right but I really don't think you can blame the software exclusively.
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

I understand what you're saying. And I'm not going on a name. I'm saying the TOP goalies in a league (whichever name they are) should play like the top players. And yes, teams in front do have an impact, but that doesn't hold water when you look at the NHL stats. Luongo had some of the WORST teams in front of him when he played in Florida, and still put up excellent save % numbers.

ALL I'm saying is the save % should be a goaltending based stat ONLY, and have little impact from other factors.
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

I was willing to let this go, and see how some changes made in both the league and my settings panned out, and now I'm back.

In a completely seperate league than my original one, my team was led to a 118 point season (2 points per win, 82 game schedule). So throw out any bad defence, strong scoring, whatever excuses.

Come playoff time, my goalie is pulled not ONCE, but TWICE for terrible performances. First time he was pulled in the FIRST PERIOD for allowing 4 goals on 11 shots. Yes, I'm sure in your little world that happens all the time, but it's NOT REALISTIC. Second time he was pulled in the 2nd period after allowing 4 goals on 20 shots (better yes, but still somewhat unrealistic).

How much proof do you need to see this is an issue? More? Ok...

In the original league, goalies' save %'s range from .939 to .876 in the top 10. Obviously high scoring isn't an issue league wide. With BETTER defence than the previous year, my goalie has been pulled THREE times in the first 7 games for performances BELOW .800. He was pulled in the 1st game of the year early in the 3rd after allowing 5 goals on 22 shots. Not a major issue, but that is somewhat bad. He then puts up a 27 save performance in a 3-1 win. 2 games later he puts up a 26 save performance in a 5-4 shootout win (save % a bit low, but not pulled). He follows that up by getting pulled after 5 goals on 16 shots midway through the 3rd. Wins his next one with 22 saves after allowing only 1 goal, before being pulled AGAIN after allowing another 5 goals on 16 shots late in the FIRST.

Say what you want, but if a goalie is THAT inconsistant, he doesn't make it to the minor leagues besides the NHL. How about getting some real issue fixed before adding more goodies
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

P.S. If you don't want your goalie to get pull, just change the option in your lines.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

You just don't get it do you. He DESERVES to be pulled, unless you think a .778 save % is good?

Teams do it in the NHL, hense the REALISM part of it. You also do it to keep the goalie refreshed for the next game, as well as not killing his confidence (morale as you would put it... which you apparently don't know how to implement properly either).
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

No, no no.. I get it 99%, you are just frustrated your team is not winning.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Rovy

Post by Rovy »

Obviously that 1% is eluding you.

I don't CARE about winning or losing. I want realistic results, and a goalie who puts up .900+ save % one day, followed by 5 goals on 16 shots is NOT realistic.