NAIHL Ratings - Currently Based on 2010-2011 NHL Season

This forum should be use to discust players ratings. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par discuté des côtes des joueurs.
NAIHLStars
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

NAIHL Ratings - Currently Based on 2010-2011 NHL Season

Post by NAIHLStars »

This thread is a continuation of the NAIHL 2008-09 thread. The NAIHL 2009-10 ratings are complete, have just been e-mailed to Simon and should be ready for download soon.

I did both a V2 and a V1 file. Our league is moving to V2, but doing a V1 after V2 was done was not too difficult.

I hope the SIM community enjoys the ratings. They are based on the NAIHL 2009/2010 season and therefore only has players who played at least 1 game in the NHL last year. Contract information has been set at 1 year and $1,111,111 so that it is easy to see who newly imported players are. Our league (and most others) have their own salary info and getting NHL salary data linked in is not a simple task. PO has also been set at 70 across the board.

If there are at least 10 requests in this thread, I will write a longer post about how some of the ratings were derived.
Last edited by NAIHLStars on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tank7
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: NAIHL 2009-10 Ratings

Post by tank7 »

Aweome! So Glad that there is a V1 File. Thanks so much. I can't wait to see them. I used them last year, and i don't even have to see them again, i know i'll like them and will be using them this year!!!!

Much appreciated, and thanks for all the hard work.

Hope the download is up soon, as i got some time tonight to get started :)
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Marc the Habs Fan »

Excellent, let's get them on the site Simon! :D Can this be done on Sunday?
2M4B - online since 2003-2004
http://www.2m4b.com
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Thanks so much for making V1 as well! We used your ratings last season and like to keep consistancy, although we did slightly alter some of the D ratings :wink:

I'm sure Simon will get them up ASAP, but in the mean time why don't you just post a link to them like you did for last years?
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

It's now publish in the Rating2010 file.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Looking at the ratings, I think you guys mixed up the Kostitsyn brothers. Andrei should have by far the higher SC of the 2. The birthdays are further proof of the mistake.

Same thing with Jason and Justin Williams, Jason got by far the better ratings when Justin had by far the better season.

As well as the Pouliot's, Benoit and Marc. Marc got by far the better ratings when Benoit had by far the better season.

Are there more?

Simon, from what I can tell, there are no goalie ratings available in the ratings zip file. Only skaters.
Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
NAIHLStars

Post by NAIHLStars »

Marc the Habs Fan wrote:Looking at the ratings, I think you guys mixed up the Kostitsyn brothers. Andrei should have by far the higher SC of the 2. The birthdays are further proof of the mistake.

Same thing with Jason and Justin Williams, Jason got by far the better ratings when Justin had by far the better season.

As well as the Pouliot's, Benoit and Marc. Marc got by far the better ratings when Benoit had by far the better season.

Are there more?

Simon, from what I can tell, there are no goalie ratings available in the ratings zip file. Only skaters.
Thanks for the feedback. I went back to the data tables which pulled from 4 different NHL data sets. Unfortunately, even when you pull alpha, for some reason the NHL data sets sometimes puts different last names in different order. I went through the entire data set with common last names and this is what I have:

Last names with problems: Kostitsyn, Murray, Pouliot, and Williams.

Common last names verified as correct: Armstrong, Blake, Bourque, Boyle, Brown, Butler, Callahan, Carle, Carlson, Carter, Clark, Dupuis, Eriksson, Giroux, Greene, Jackman, Johnson, Jokinen, Jones, Kane, Kennedy, Koivu, Kronwall, Martin, McDonald, Michalek, Mitchell, Niedermayer, Penner, Perreault, Picard, Richards, Ruutu, Schenn, Schultz, Sedin, Sestito, Sharp, Smith, Staal, Stastny, Stewart, Stuart, Sutter, Thornton, Walker, Wallin, Weber, White, Whitney, Wilson, and Winchester.

I'll get a fix out on 4 sets of common last names with errors. You should see goalies in the download.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Yeah, I just realized the goalies were with the skater ratings. Not used to that, usually they are in their own separate section. Sorry about that.
NAIHLStars

Post by NAIHLStars »

PS: Thanks for the extra set of eyes.

It is past midnight here and I have plans in the morning. If I get to it tomorrow, I'll get the correction out then. If not, it won't be until next weekend. This week at work is going to be busy.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Are you sure the Murray's are mixed up? Andrew and Douglas seem to have the correct ratings from what I can see. Douglas with the huge DF and CK numbers.
NAIHLStars

Post by NAIHLStars »

Marc the Habs Fan wrote:Are you sure the Murray's are mixed up? Andrew and Douglas seem to have the correct ratings from what I can see. Douglas with the huge DF and CK numbers.
The ones that are mixed up are not as simple as the two players are mixed up and just names need to be switched. Some of the stats and attributes are right and others wrongs. I need to go back through on each attribute for the players impacted and make sure they are right. Some will stay the same, some will get changed to the other player with the same last name, and others calculate off of a combination of stats and may have a mix of good and bad data and will be an entirely different number.

Good night for now.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Oh, right. Andrew Murray listed as a 30 year old, as Swedish, etc. All of Douglas' attributes.
Marc the Habs Fan
The Crazy / Le Fou

Pretty sure Dan Boyle and Brian Boyle's FG ratings were mixed up too.

Dan Boyle: 83 FG

Bryan Boyle: 55 FG

No way Dan Boyle should have a FG that high...

The general feedback from my league is that a lot of GM's are wondering about the goalie ratings and want an explanation on them. Also some are wondering about the DF rating, which seems a bit low.
DGSabres

Post by DGSabres »

Merci infiniment pour les cotes NAIHL.

L'an dernier, notre ligue avait utilisé une 2e version des cotes NAIHL qui mettait moins de poids aux +/-.

Cette version était disponible sur le site de Simont.

Est-ce que cette année ces cotes seront produites? Il y a beaucoup de débats sur l'utilisation des +/- pour évaluer la cote défensive (DF). Nous sommes d'avis que souvent, la cote DF n'est qu'une résultante des habiletés offensives et défensives. On voit mal comment on devrait évaluer la cote défensive en mettant du poids sur les +/- alors que cette même statistique n'est pas utilisée pour les habiletés défensives.

Je crois que notre groupe apprécierait continuer avec la version plus modérée d'évaluation du DF produite en version révisée l'an dernier.

En passant, excellent travail, même les cotes DF de la version actuelle sont bien plus appropriées que celles de d'autres outils.

Merci

In english... shorter version: Last year NAIHL produced 2 versions of the ratings, one with less weight on the plus/minus, to evaluate the DF variable. Simont had both ratings version last year. Will it be available this year? Thanks for the good work!
NAIHLStars

Post by NAIHLStars »

A V1 and V2 set with the mix up on Boyle, Kostitsyn, Murray, Pouliot, and Williams has been sent to Simon to be put into the download file (and the old one pulled).

As for the ratings themselves, they are unique in comparison to most that you will find out there. They are "old school" and go way back to the principles of the "Big AL" FHLSIM ratings and later dmaster where an 80 means something and 90's for things like SC, PA, DF, etc are rare. I'm a GM myself, so all the ratings (with the exception of SP) are based off of some sort of NHL stat and a table that was built to convert them into a rating. You will not see playstation generation ratings of many players in the 80's and 90's.

I'm also a CPA with a very busy job. I do the ratings because I have been in the hockey SIM world for a long time, have seen other good ratings sets stop (in particular Big Al and dmaster), have done ratings in the past, have a good skillset in the area, and in my own biased opinion as good or better than any other that are out for leagues looking purely for a rerate based on 1 NHL season. I do this to contribute to not only the NAIHL, but any other sim league that wants to use these ratings with a charge of $0.

My long 3 day holiday weekend is over and I'm glad to get the ratings out well before our published deadline of July 15th.

There is a V1 and a V2 file this year. There will not be any other variation published.

Next weekend, I will post some insight into how the ratings were put together.
Last edited by NAIHLStars on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.