Today's Games

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
mjrak
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Today's Games

Post by mjrak »

I'm getting some complaints from GMs in my league that the today's games ouput is mixed pro and farm. Should it not be the pro games listed on one side and the farm on the other side? http://www.whlsim.com/Season/WHL-TodayGames.html You can see they are listed all over the place.

Any thoughts?

Mike
WHL Commissioner - Est. 2004
http://www.whlsim.com
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Today's Games

Post by SimonT »

It's normal. The HTML code is created on the fly after a game is simulated so the order it show in the HTML is the order they were simulate by the STHS.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

Is it not possible to have STHS sim the pro games first and then the farm games second? The today's games page really is a disaster as it currently outputs. Any type of organization would be better then having it done by game #.

Mike
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

You can use the XML to create your own if you wish.
-SimonT
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

If I had any idea how I would certainly do that, but I'm just a normal Joe who runs 2 leagues with your software. My guess is there are a lot more commishes who have no clue how to do things like create pages from XML or code simulators. I guess the question I have is have you created this game for only advanced users or for anyone to use?

Is it that difficult to change how the today's games outputs? If it is then I understand, if it's not, then why wouldn't you want to make a minor change to make the sim output nicer?
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by QSHL »

Agreed.

My GMs also complain of the strange Today's Game outputs. It's hard to figure out what's been simmed when, as we run 2 Game Day per real-life day.

I know nothing about coding, so I will not code or change things manually.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

You’ll probably not agree with me but I like it this way because it’s force GM to scan all game to see his games and scanning other game force the GM to know what happening with others teams.
-SimonT
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

I see your point, but I think that at the end of the day I'd want it to be user friendly. No matter how much you want GMs to scan other games, odds are they won't. For some GMs they will lose interest because it takes too long to find their game and they will stop checking (granted these are GMs you don't want, but it just doesn't keep everyone active and involved).

If I can get some support and it's a small fix, is it something you can go ahead and make a change with?

Mike
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

It’s definitely not a small change in the code and definitely a big change in the STHS output so I’ll take a lot of work from you to have me change it.
-SimonT
Skyward Hockey
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by Skyward Hockey »

Yeah, although I could change the output page for my league pretty easily (I also manually graphic out the nightly results on my league's front page - http://pfhl.vetsson.net), it would be much easier and far less time consuming to just have the Today's Games section as it was in version 1.0. As I said, I link my Today's Games section to my main page, where it lists all the games played that night with results, so everyone in my league can see all the games anyway. Having pro and farm scores jumbled up intermixed is sloppy and it would just be a lot more uniform if it were like it is in 1.0.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Actually, the code is the same in v1.0! In v1.0, I was simulating a pro games, then farm game, then pro game, then farm game, etc. That explain the result you were getting in V1. But in V2, since I can simulate 2-3 pro games then 2-3 farm games, the same code change the output order.
-SimonT
Troy
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by Troy »

I agree the layout should be changed to be more organized, and to have it this way to force GMs to scan all games is not going to work, GMs are either going to look at the other games or not but all GMs want to see their own games first and to have to search through the mess that is there is frustrating. This is a great program and is my first time using it but the "todays games" area is definatly lacking.
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

Hey Simon,

I've been thinking about this and I had a thought. What if instead of outputting all games into 1 page, why not split it into 2 outputs.

1. ProToday'sGames.html
2. FarmToday'sGames.html

You can filter the Simulation into 2 separate Simulate options then. 1. Pro Simulate & 2. Farm Simulate

Would this avoid the huge re-coding you'd have to do to fix the current output? I like the idea as I think it allows even further GM focus on the farm and allows those leagues using Assistant GMs to run the farm teams a greater experience for them.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Mike
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

I'm not against the idea but it’ll take me a lot of the STHS community member comment to make me change for that.
-SimonT
dkrause71

Post by dkrause71 »

I would like to see this changed. Its not user friendly the way it currently is.