Question Re: Player Decisions

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
mjrak
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Question Re: Player Decisions

Post by mjrak »

SimonT wrote:Players make decision on what to do with punk regarding a formula. As you can guest easily, SK is an important part of Skating Decision, PA is an important part of the Passing Decision and SC is an important part of Shooting Decision.

For a player with 99 SK, 99 PA, 99 SC, players have 33% chance of shooting (99 / (99+99+99) = 33%)
For a player with 99 SK, 99 PA, 60 SC, the players had 27% chance of shooting (60 / (99+99+60) = 23%)
For a player with 60 SK, 99 PA, 60 SC, the players had 27% chance of shooting (60 / (99+60+60) = 27%)
For a player with 60 SK, 60 PA, 60 SC, the players had 45% chance of shooting (60 / (60+60+60) = 33%)

P.S. It's NOT the formula but I'm simplifying so it’s easier to understand.
Hi Simon,

I saw this and I wanted to follow up. I know this isn't the exact formula, but does the SC and PA ratings not have anything to do with actual ability in those 2 areas? For PA, the ability to get a pass through traffic or to have better ice vision in order to even attempt a pass? For SC, an ability to score on a high% of their shots?

For example, if there are 2 players who both take 200 shots. One player's SC rating is 50 and the other is 90, would the player with 90 SC score on a much higher % of his shots? Or does SC simply work combined with PA and SK to determine whether or not he even shoots?

If it is indeed the latter, than would a pure playmaker simply need his SK pushed much lower than his PA in order to ensure he passes vs. skating with the puck. And likewise for a sniper? Much lower SK vs. SC to ensure he shoots more than he skates with it?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
WHL Commissioner - Est. 2004
http://www.whlsim.com
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Question Re: Player Decisions

Post by SimonT »

How to you decided if players skate, passed or shot when he have the puck? What skill do you take to make those decisions?
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

I don't understand the question. Can you re-phrase?

Mike
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

1) If SC is only uses to decide if a player shot is a goal or not.
2) If PA is only used to decide if a player pass is intercepted or not.

What skill should I use to decide if a player makes a pass or a shot?
-SimonT
mjrak

Post by mjrak »

As you know I'm not the most technical guy, but are the ratings not able to be used in multiple areas? For example, once a player had decided to shoot or pass, is that rating not then able to also impact his likeliness to get the pass through or to score on his shot?

Mike
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Exactly!!!

The SC is use to decide if a players shoot AND if his shot is a goal or not.
The PA is use to decide if a players pass AND if his passed is intercepted or not.

That explain your first question where you quote me.
-SimonT
PNHL
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by PNHL »

Bah Y devrais avoir une Cote Ou une Option qui décrit le style du jeu d'un Joueur.

Un peu comme dans les jeu de NHL

C'est un attribut que tu donne a un joueur qui va guider dans ces décision et ainsi un % de Faire une Passe ou un Shot.

Parce que c'est pas tout les ''scoreurs'' qui ont une grosse Tendance a Tiré au filets, mais ces joueurs conservent tout de meme un bon % de tirs au buts.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Puck Handling should do the trick here, it shoud be the rating that help player to decide what to do with the puck, shot or pass, depend of the situation on the ice and then it's rating.

I have the impression that in the sim, a player on a breakaway with 99 of PA and 62 of SC will pass the puck to... no one...

Wingers should decide to shoot more then centers or d-men in offensive zone.

In PP d-men should shot the puck more often then usual.

the problem right now it's the high percentage of success to score goals by low rated SC players.
bond007
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by bond007 »

Since SC, PA, SK, (or any other ratings)… is used to decide what the player do and his “effectiveness”, an all around player should get a little boost.

A player with 99 SC and 75 PA will shoot much more than a player with 99 SC and 99 PA.
Their shooting % will be similar. Then the first one will get more goals.

Then I think the player with 99 PA and 99 SC should be more “effective”, he’s more complete then harder to predict for the defensive team. I talk about SC and PA, but I think it should be the same things with other ratings that impact the decision and the effectiveness. Maybe it’s already the case somewhere, but I don’t think it is for SC since players with high SC and low PA get more goals than players with high SC and PA. Then to get realistic results, we have to lower SC if the player has low PA,… That’s not impossible to do, but not really natural.
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by QSHL »

It's really a way of "thinking the game" when creating the players skills.

We should stop thinking that star players must get 90s everywhere.

The STHS skills are not related only on talent, but on tendencies as well.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

QSHL wrote:It's really a way of "thinking the game" when creating the players skills.

We should stop thinking that star players must get 90s everywhere.

The STHS skills are not related only on talent, but on tendencies as well.
I have to disagree here, if that's how you rate your players that's fine for me, but if the STHS give us the possibility to rate player from 1 to 99, it should be able to work with all ratings, some league have to rate star players in 75 to have best results... so let's just say the STHS can handle players between 35 and 75, but if you go up 75, its fuc*** random results!

I think Simon understand that and work on the 2.1 engine because the 2.0 engin can't handle 85+ rated players.
QSHL
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by QSHL »

Top goal scoring players in my league :

SC - PA - PH - SK
98 - 90 - 98 - 92
87 - 81 - 96 - 96
99 - 89 - 92 - 99
99 - 99 - 98 - 97
99 - 82 - 95 - 94
95 - 75 - 93 - 90
99 - 68 - 99 - 90
84 - 97 - 92 - 97
93 - 84 - 95 - 93
97 - 87 - 99 - 91

I think it can handle well 85+ ratings. These are all supposed to be the best players of their respective teams, and it worked.
Foo
The SuperStar

Post by Foo »

Just my top 5 will be enough (goal scorers)

SC - PA - PH - SK

79 - 71 - 75 - 79
72 - 71 - 77 - 89
78 - 70 - 79 - 92
71 - 73 - 77 - 86
73 - 80 - 82 - 87

I'll do some test with high SK ratings for superstar players and come back to share.