Small League Suggestions?

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
dhasek00
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Small League Suggestions?

Post by dhasek00 »

Hi,

I am new to the simulation game, but have been interested in this for a while and just bought V2.

My question is if just starting out if anyone has any experience with smaller sized leagues. Right now I am probably starting with around 10 teams as I wait for it to get more popular. Has anyone had a league this small with NHL rosters/ratings and Salary Cap? If so, were there any problems with hiting the cap too soon and issues with good players sitting in FA?

I am trying to find more GMs but people in my area are all new to the whole idea and aren't sure if they want to use software to be a GM and all. Is this something that will be easy to use for them? I'm more of a saavy computer guy so all this seems easy to me when I run it.

Thanks for any advice!
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Small League Suggestions?

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

The problem I normally see with league with small number of team is the concentration of good players in all team. To have good result, I sugest you lower the shot/goal slider and raise your finance slider.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
dhasek00

Post by dhasek00 »

Thanks for the help.

One more thing as well... how are drafts usually held for an NHL league? I wanted it to be like a fantasy draft so that the GMs could control who they get to start with. Is a manual draft like that possible and are there any recommended ways to get that done? Or do people just do the random draft method?

Thanks again.
dhasek00

Post by dhasek00 »

Then to add to that a little. If I were to have an initial draft like that with a salary cap. Do the GMs have to negotiate salaries with players? I guess I'm not sure how much AI goes into the athletes here. Will guys like Ovechkin and Crosby demand more money?
dhasek00

Post by dhasek00 »

Lastly (sorry for all the questions)...

It doesn't look like there is any security on the part of the GMs. When they download the client file, this enables them to be able to change lines/settings on any team? Is that how it's supposed to be? In that case, what if I had some GM go screwing around with all the other teams and it messes up the league....?

Just seems odd that everyone can change everyone else's configurations...
Steelhawk
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Steelhawk »

dhasek00 wrote:Thanks for the help.

One more thing as well... how are drafts usually held for an NHL league? I wanted it to be like a fantasy draft so that the GMs could control who they get to start with. Is a manual draft like that possible and are there any recommended ways to get that done? Or do people just do the random draft method?

Thanks again.
Best way to do this is to have all GM's present at a designated chat room, or all on MSN, and set a time limit for picking, I usually use a 1 minute timer for each pick

dhasek00 wrote:Then to add to that a little. If I were to have an initial draft like that with a salary cap. Do the GMs have to negotiate salaries with players? I guess I'm not sure how much AI goes into the athletes here. Will guys like Ovechkin and Crosby demand more money?
Fantasy drafts are time consumers, however being you will be starting with 10 teams it should not take as long as most league do, but still put aside a lot of time, some GM's can be slow, you can either set contracts after the draft or you can use a ratings file and have that set your contracts for you, this would be available in the downloads section.
dhasek00 wrote:Lastly (sorry for all the questions)...

It doesn't look like there is any security on the part of the GMs. When they download the client file, this enables them to be able to change lines/settings on any team? Is that how it's supposed to be? In that case, what if I had some GM go screwing around with all the other teams and it messes up the league....?

Just seems odd that everyone can change everyone Else's configurations...
If you are worried about this, you can assign passwords for each GM's lines, they would have to use it each time they want to change their lines and stuff, the sim allows for password protected lines files
dhasek00

Post by dhasek00 »

Thank you very much for your help Steel