MAJOR 1-1-3 playoff tie-breaker problem

Any questions related to version 1 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 1 devraient être demandées ici.
Skyward Hockey
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

MAJOR 1-1-3 playoff tie-breaker problem

Post by Skyward Hockey »

According to the NHL Rulebook, when two teams are tied for a position in a conference, the tiebreaker process is as follows:

1. Wins
2. Season Series - team with most points in series wins tiebreaker - HOWEVER, if the teams have played an odd number of games, points collected in the first game in the city hosting an extra match will be discounted in the math.

Here is our dilemma.

We have the Montreal Canadiens and Washington Capitals tied for the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference after 82 games played. Both teams have 39-35-8 records. In theie season series, Montreal has won two games (one in overtime), while Washington won once. HOWEVER - since they played three games in their season series, the points collected in the first game in the city hosting an extra match (Montreal won in a home contest in regulation) should have been discarded. This would leave the series tied at 1-1 - however, since one of those games went to overtime, Washington earned an extra point in a loss ,giving them three points in those two games to Montreal's two. Therefore, Washington should be our 8-seed, yet Montreal remains at the 8-seed.

Here is our site - http://pfhl.vetsson.net - As you can see, the sim didn't even give either team an "x" for clinching. The same thing happened in our Western Conference, but they got the season series right with that one (putting Chicago over Colorado).

We still have two sim days left in our season (Sunday 8/29 and Monday 8/30). Will the sim just default clinch the team in 8th place at the end of the season? Is there anything we can do to get Washington in their rightful eighth place position before we start our playoffs?

Really in a pickle here, guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thomas Gidlow
PFHL Commissioner
[email protected]
http://pfhl.vetsson.net
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: MAJOR 1-1-3 playoff tie-breaker problem

Post by SimonT »

Hi.

The Tie Break Rule is

1.The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2.The greater number of games won.
3.The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4.The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

Source : http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?ty ... v-stn-conf

But the STHS ignore the "home game advantage" rule if they have not played an equal number of home game. If a team has play 3 games, it's the team who got the most point in those 3 games that "win" the tie-break. It's simply a very big pain to program this for the number of time it happen.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

Oh, I completely get the programming aspect. As I was writing my post I realized that it would probably be very hard to program this into the STHS sim. Is there any way to move my 9th place team into 8th place? We run our rules as close to the NHL as possible, and since under NHL rules my current 9th place team should be in the playoffs, I would hope there is some way to get that team into its rightful place in our postseason.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Sadly, in version 1 is not possible. The feature was only added in version 2.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Skyward Hockey

Post by Skyward Hockey »

We will figure out a way and hope 2.0 is completely ready to go by the time our next season starts up. Thanks for the quick responses Simon!