Line enforcement for dressed players

Your suggestions are always welcome. / Vos suggestions sont toujours bienvenues.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Line enforcement for dressed players

Post by SimonT »

I don't mind adding another option for this but as Henry said, it's must not stop GM from using some type of strategy. Théoriquely speaking, I could add an option call “Block Players from Playing in Lines #1 , #2 and #3. (Normal)”. This will not very complex for me.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
36Henry
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by 36Henry »

Very happy to hear that Simon. That would be a very good addition imo.
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

36Henry wrote:I've run into the same type of problem in the past as Owen is expressing here. I think I may have even proposed in the past that the feature Owen mentions which bans players from featuring twice on the top two lines, should be extended to include all four lines at even strength. I have since realized that this would be a step too far as it would make it impossible to employ a strategy of using 11 forwards and 7 defensemen, something that is quite common today. We also do see NHL coaches dressing an enforcer and giving him only 1 or 2 shifts per game so it's a tricky thing trying to regulate these things in a way that suits all leagues as they are so different.

As for auto-lines from what I've seen in the past it's not uncommon for highly rated forwards (let's call this player a Center) to occupy a 3rd or 4th line spot on one of the wings ahead of natural wingers who are then benched at even strength and if they're lucky can get in a few shifts per game here and there on spot duty. I imagine this happens because the highly rated Center, despite what I assume is a slight penalty for playing out of position, is still rated higher than the benched winger and therefore goes ahead of him when the Sim auto-fills the vacant wing positions. I've often seen defensemen jump into forward spots through auto-lines for what I assume is the same reason as their Overall rating is often a bit higher than what forwards generally have. Ultimately in the league I was in we recommended managers not to use auto lines as the league would issue penalties to teams who "double-shifted" too many players, which was a regular occurrence with auto lines being employed.

That would be my advice to Owen at this time. Try to deal with the auto lines problem internally in your league until a possible Sim feature is devised to address this issue.

Another factor in this is the quality of the ratings your league uses. If the difference in Overall ratings between top and bottom players is too large, auto lines will become less reliable and generate more problems of the kind you're experiencing. At least that's my experience with this matter.

As for increasing fatigue values in response to this matter I really don't see it as a constructive option to have managers lose players to injury (fatigue) because the Sim put them on multiple lines. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Perfectly explained, Henry!

In EHE, I require exactly 18 skaters to be dressed and I enforce that all of them be included in the primary lines. I would prefer that the simulator would have an option to recognize this so that I don't have to check every single team on a daily basis, which is why I made the suggestion. I even had a GM e-mail me after I already posted who said "If the league requires the farm teams to play all 12 forwards, then why does the SIM let you save your lines to file if it's incorrect? All I was doing was hitting "auto lines" or whatever and assuming it should be good."

If a team dresses 6 centers, for example, then 2 of those centers will never be included in the lineup if the GM uses Auto Lines. We need something to counter-balance this or at least a way to let the GM that some of their players are dressed, but not used.

SimonT wrote:I don't mind adding another option for this but as Henry said, it's must not stop GM from using some type of strategy. Theoretically speaking, I could add an option call “Block Players from Playing in Lines #1 , #2 and #3. (Normal)”. This will not very complex for me.
It's not a perfect fix, but I would definitely be happy to see this!
Elite Hockey Experience

We're not just any league. We're competitive. We're dedicated. We're ELITE!
Our website can be viewed in English, en Français & auf Deutsch!
www.elitehockeysim.com
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

In 2.3.1, I add a new option call “Block Players from Playing in Lines #1, #2 and #3 (Normal)”. Note : I noticed this option really enhanced the “Partial Auto-Lines” features and power of ‘Fix Incorrect Lines with the Partial Auto Lines Function’ option.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

SimonT wrote:In 2.3.1, I add a new option call “Block Players from Playing in Lines #1, #2 and #3 (Normal)”. Note : I noticed this option really enhanced the “Partial Auto-Lines” features and power of ‘Fix Incorrect Lines with the Partial Auto Lines Function’ option.
That sounds wonderful. Thanks Simon!
Elite Hockey Experience

www.elitehockeysim.com
philfo21
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Post by philfo21 »

A big thanks... nice add!
RockNPucks
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by RockNPucks »

Adding to 36Henry's comment:

Our league end up "hiring" a "President of Players Safety" (Prefet of Discipline) to ensure that all GMs respect the requirements for players dressed (20 players in the roster, including 11 or 12 forwards and 6 or 7 defensemen (extra dman goes on 4th pairing, one forward can play double on the 4th line if he plays on the first three lines)).

It's a bit of monitoring to do, especially since "auto line" will something make pretty "Creative" line-ups, but then, that's why we have actual GMs running their teams and not rely solely on the simulator; So that GMs run their teams.

We have sanctions for not respecting the 20 men roster for repeat offenders (lose of draft picks!!!). That rule kinda lost its charm this season when the LA Kings were forced to play with a few men short during the Slava Voynov saga and, if I'm correct, Mike Richards' injury (or someone else's...).

*** Just say the add for 2.3.1. *** Looks wonderfull !...
Owen
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Owen »

RockNPucks wrote:It's a bit of monitoring to do, especially since "auto line" will something make pretty "Creative" line-ups, but then, that's why we have actual GMs running their teams and not rely solely on the simulator; So that GMs run their teams.
That's why I made the suggestion that I did. Manually going through every team and checking that info gets dull pretty fast.
Elite Hockey Experience

www.elitehockeysim.com