The end of Legacy Web Portal / La fin de l’ancien Portal Web

Official Announcements / Annonces Officiel
Showtime Hockey
The Passion One / Le Passionné

Re: The end of Legacy Web Portal / La fin de l’ancien Portal Web

Post by Showtime Hockey »

Totalement d’accord avec Simon.

De plus, ça semble être compliqué, il n’a pas vraiment d’information concernant le guide d’installation, étape par étape.

Alors on doit ce débrouiller et c’est pas tout le monde qui maitrise bien ce savoir faire.

Aujourd’hui, beaucoup de trucs est open source, si chacun travaillerait ensemble et publierait leurs codes, on aurait probablement quelques choses de plus solide.
pimpinhockey
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by pimpinhockey »

Sounds like Simon is just trying to force people to buy/subscribe to version 3. There are a ton of leagues that would RATHER use the simhl portal or better yet a new portal that is v2 compatible that Senshockey says he is creating. Its fine if you dont want to support these portals but removing the information and FORCING people to use your option sounds a bit desperate to me. Why dont you let the community do the website/portal developing and you stick to making the simulator BETTER maybe people will subscribe then.
senshockey

Post by senshockey »

Thanks for showing some support pimpinhockey but I must comply with simon's demands. This is the community he built and I'm not looking to step on anyone's toes. I will continue my development but I will not be distributing the fruits of my labour to the community at the expense of simon's free time being consumed supporting a product that isn't his.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

pimpinhockey wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am Why dont you let the community do the website/portal developing and you stick to making the simulator BETTER maybe people will subscribe then.
Because except Shawn, nobody ever suggested me the smallest code change in current open source website. You except me to believe someone will spend hundreds of hours building a new portal from scratch and support it for 10+ years, free or paid?

Paid: If you think about it with a business mind, it doesn’t make any sense. The STHS market is so niche market and you want to a build a business on top of this? The legacy SIMNL portal try that and quickly understand it doesn’t make sense before shutting down

Free: Free support/development for the next 10 years? I have my doubt… And here, I’ll be stuck with the support once the creator quit.

Both path lead to a dead-end…
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
senshockey

Post by senshockey »

I could easily say the same thing about creating and supporting a portal based on your simulator and then you decide one day to abandon it. The risk is mutual the way I see it. Neither of us has any guarantee from the other that they will support their product until the end of days. I have to say, it is frustrating to try and contribute to a community that I'm so passionate about and have the creator tell me that I won't support what I develop and he doesn't want to be stuck with it. You don't even know me.
mmerette76
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Post by mmerette76 »

Il y a 1 ou 2 ans, j'avais proposé à SImon de monter un portail incluant une application mobile que j'aurais chargé une soixantaine de dollars. J'aurais été intéressé à me lancer si j'avais eu un marché potentiel d'une centaine de ligues mais SImon et la communauté ne semblaient pas très enthousiastes à cette idée.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

I'm fine with whatever Simon wants. We are still using V2.1 Sim engine and use the old portal. I discussed V3 with our GMs and showed them the new site for V3 and they unanimously decided to stick with the old portal and its problems. Visually they simply don't like the new stuff.

EDIT: Sorry for the bump......geez I haven't been here in a while.
buckie54
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by buckie54 »

I'd love to be able to have a portal that someone is there to support you when help is needed.

I also understand Simon's view of it not working out.

But I feel if Simon and portal developer could get together, they could make a great thing happen here.
Thanks
Brent
OCHL Commish
ESHL.ca

Post by ESHL.ca »

My website is up for sell if anyone si interested.
BRHL Hockey

Post by BRHL Hockey »

Bottom line with any product that needs the sim to have a market, is there's inherent risk, though the fact some people still use FHL shows that niche market could stay forever.

I think Simon has built a good product that is always evolving, leagues have the ability to utilize different engines to fit their needs. I know we still run on the 1.5 engine, because it's what we're used to and in my opinion, produces the best results.

Our ratings we've done for over a decade (originally on FHL) have never had any issue with Simon getting involved in any way, he doesn't promote our ratings when people ask, nor should he. Even though he realizes that strong ancillary products help drive subscriptions to his product. But in no way should he ever be responsible, because someone built something and stopped supporting that (not saying that WOULD be the case here, but there's no way to know). It's why we built our own page a few years ago after support for the old portal stopped.

In short, the more people contribute to the community (for free, or subscription based), the better it is for everyone. Simon's amazing contribution is the program, to expect more out of him, or for him to actively support, or promote someone else's materials is not realistic, and a waste of his time to the general community who wants strong support for the STHS program.
Bryce Shuck
[email protected]
The #1 source for STHS ratings since 2006!
BRHL $ League est. 2006 - http://new.brhl.net/
Cash Hockey, Football & Baseball Leagues
STHS, FHM7, OOTP, FanGm Platforms