Text lines?

Any questions related to version 1 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 1 devraient être demandées ici.
dechl_commish
New in Town / Le Ptit Nouveau

Text lines?

Post by dechl_commish »

Probably a question for Simon, but is there a way to import text based lines like FHL supported? Reason is I have a few owners that kill their time at work doing thier lines but they work in a controlled environment where they cannot install anything...

If not, is the file structure of the .shl team files documented somewhere that I missed? That is assuming it is allowable to create a tool for converting a text based document to the file format(s) required by STHS.

Thanks
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

Sorry it's not possible. The reason why is that I txt file were error prone and in the FHL, those error were crashing the simulator. Also, the shl file contain a lot more information that those in the FHL, making it very long to write then. And third, the shl are encrypted.
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
dechl_commish

Post by dechl_commish »

Thanks Simon.

Never hurts to ask! :)
Ultimate Hockey League

Re:

Post by Ultimate Hockey League »

SimonT wrote:Sorry it's not possible. The reason why is that I txt file were error prone and in the FHL, those error were crashing the simulator. Also, the shl file contain a lot more information that those in the FHL, making it very long to write then. And third, the shl are encrypted.
Simon -

Can we take the encryption part as believing that lines will always have to be created in the editor provided by STHS?

I think the point of the text lines for many of this is this - as web pages become more dynamic and more and more of our league functions can be run through the web site, the ability to create lines using a web interface is an enticing component for many of us. For example, in our league all main GM functions - trading, free agency, etc. - is run through our web site. However, we cannot leverage this to create an online GM editor. With all of this information that we have stored in the database, there is a lot that can be leveraged by creating a web version of the lines creator. The one problem: we need to be able to create the lines file.
The Ultimate Hockey League - established 1995
http://www.ultimatehockeyleague.net
LHDC_Bob
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Re: Text lines?

Post by LHDC_Bob »

I agree with that and I've thinking about it.

Put players on lines doen't seem too difficult, but follow the rules of the league may be harder.

By example taking care of waivers if you sent a players in the minors can be tricky by a web page.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

As I said before, the SHL file contains a lot of information. In version 2, I plan on adding 10 days roster, the possibility to make waiver claim and transaction via the client. Even more information to add in the SHL file.

But, this is LONG LONG LONG SHOT, version 2 is in Visual Basic .Net. There is a possibility that this will easy to export in web page. I'll see when I get there, probably in 2010.
-SimonT
leaf_maniac

Post by leaf_maniac »

this is what ive mentioned before, and its one thing thats holding me back from switching from fhlsim. I have 30 gms that dont want to be hampered with downloading files all the time. I feel that a thing of the past, and only leagues that are fully html, and ran by people who dont have any programming knowledge should be stuck with that.

Switching in .NET can be done easily, but Ive seen many problems with it! Im not sure what you programmed it in, If its in C#, I would definately try a direct switch to ASP.NET if it works, or in the future, a silverlight interface.

Another option I see is try make the client program open source. Show how you do encryption on those files. You may end up, probably will, with someone who programs it for you. My lines editor, is completely done in javascript right now. Then the files are written through binary streams in php. If your worried about security, based on another question Im guessing your using MD5. Thats not secure on the best of times, so its not like your hiding some major information. Heck Google can de-hash md5 hash about 98% of the time

A last case possibility if your worried about not making these things text based, is try go the xml route. I really like how the rest of the program has xml output files, why not make the client files xml based too?
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

For version 1, I'm not making any change for sure!

For version 2 that I'm in the process of building (Release somewhere in 2009), I have high hope to be able to offer an STHS Client on multi-platform (Windows, Linux and Mac) thank to Mono project. (I might have some issue for Mac and Linux for the STHS)

As for a web STHS Client or even web STHS, it's a long shot for me. My project is not at this stage yet! The STHS version 1 is in VB6! It's a long shot to Web Interface. It’s also adding a lot of complexity for me to support and distribute. Don’t forget that the STHS is a not my primary job.

How my encryption work in version 1 doesn’t mean anything to me now. I learn a lot since them and as you may know, VB .Net offer a lot of stronger encryption algorithms. I only do VB6 or VB.Net. I don’t know C# or ASP.Net. I’m a network administrator / IT manager with some knowledge in programming.

As for open source based on XML, the simulator and the client have some many codes that is share (Including the very secret overall formula) that it’s not an option for me.
-SimonT
leaf_maniac

Post by leaf_maniac »

Im definately not saying to make the simulator open source. I agree that wouldnt be a good move. Its just the client side im worried about. It already is free, so why not make it customizable.

I cant believe you built this on VB 6.0! lol After taking c#, that to my is hands down the winner. Java may be better! j/k After the final release you may want to look at using Silverlight with a back end of vb to make a web interface. It should be pretty straightforward, but dont try that until version 2 fully exits beta.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

I don't know about you but as I said, I'm not a programmer. My learning was based on Network Side (MSCE on 2003, MCITP on 2008, Security+, etc). When I start the STHS, I only know VB6. Since that time, I learn VB .Net just for the STHS. :)
-SimonT
leaf_maniac

Post by leaf_maniac »

If you would like I would be more than interested to help you build something like that, and work together on that. Get back to me if you would like to look ahead at this. my email is [email protected]

It could be a little work, but I definately think it somethign that would work out great if built correctly