Pros & Cons? (STHS Vs. FHL)

This area should be used by GMs from different leagues to share their experiences about things such as line combinations, which skills are good etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les DG de diffèrentes ligues pour partager leur expèrience à propos des combinaisons alignement, quel sont les attributs d'un joueurs les plus utilises etc.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Pros & Cons? (STHS Vs. FHL)

Post by Kramden23 »

Hopefully this is an "open forum" and this is allowed to be discussed here.......

My league is considering making the switch from FHL to STHS, however a lot of the guys are somewhat apprehensive. For GMs that have played in both type of leagues, I was really hoping to get your perspective on the pros & cons of FHL Vs. STHS, and the biggest adjustments that should be expected from a GMs standpoint.

The more detailed response, obviously the better. Thanks and I appreciate your time.
Last edited by Kramden23 on Wed May 14, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Pros & Cons?

Post by SimonT »

This is totally open forum. :)

The biggest adjustment between FHL and STHS for the GM is the Overall. It's useless in the STHS (And can be remove/hide) versus the only important thing in FHL. The other big difference is finding your way around the numerous options only available in the STHS. ;)
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

To be honest, most GM will complain when the change is made, but they will find out very quickly the STHS is a much better sim as compared to the FHL.

The FHL has not had a single bug fix in like 3 years. The STHS has some minor bug fixes on a regular basis as well and the sim engine updates and additions.

With the continued support of Simon the STHS is only getting better and better with each release.

I doubt there will ever be a bug free hockey sim, but the STHS is getting as close to that as possible.

I can't wait until the Version 2 gets released, many many new options for all of us to love.

BTW, Simon keep up the great work, the Sim has been money well spent.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Icepilot wrote:To be honest, most GM will complain when the change is made, but they will find out very quickly the STHS is a much better sim as compared to the FHL.

The FHL has not had a single bug fix in like 3 years. The STHS has some minor bug fixes on a regular basis as well and the sim engine updates and additions.

With the continued support of Simon the STHS is only getting better and better with each release.

I doubt there will ever be a bug free hockey sim, but the STHS is getting as close to that as possible.

I can't wait until the Version 2 gets released, many many new options for all of us to love.

BTW, Simon keep up the great work, the Sim has been money well spent.
Thanks, I appreciate your response. However I was hoping you could possibly elaborate on why/what GMs will complain about if the switch is made. Also if you could possibly elaborate on why it is "a much better sim as compared to the FHL". Thanks.....
Less than 1% of americans can speak french
More than 70% of canadians can speak english

Want more answers, why limit yourself? Post in english!
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Re: Pros & Cons? (STHS Vs. FHL)

Post by Icepilot »

1st GM will need to get used to new player ratings, ie: FO - Face Offs, MO - Moral etc as these types were not in the FHL sim.
Next complaint i got was GM were not happy with the players OV, And i can't say how much i hate it when GM complain about this, The OV means nothing in the FHL or STHS, though in the STHS the commish has the option to not show the OV.

Many GM will also need to get used to the new GM Client program, the FHL one was a basic line-up maker, but the STHS one needs to GM's to do a lot more when making a line-up. GM have to set the coach sliders also which they did not have to do in the FHL one.

But some complaints will have to do with some of the Options the commish may or may not be using.

One of the biggest complaints i got was some players were getting tired to quickly ie: Goaltenders. In the FHL i have seen some goaltenders play like 80 games a season. In the STHS you won't see that unless the commish adjusts the fatigue option to nil.
Same with the player fatigue.

But most of these complaints are just because the STHS is new and a little different than the FHL which i hard for some GM's to understand. I am tired of hearing well this and this is not like the FHL, Well duh, the STHS is NOT the FHL, it's a superior product.

I can guarentee if you make the switch your GM's will moan and groan but in the end will end up loving the STHS.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Thanls Icepilot for the more detailed response, I sincerely appreciate it. I do have a question about something you said though.....
GM have to set the coach sliders

If that is the case, then what is to prevent each GM from just maxing them all out?

Anymore responses to this thread would be greatley appreciated!

SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

If that is the case, then what is to prevent each GM from just maxing them all out?

Their an maximum of 5 points you can allow and each slider maximum is 5 points. :)
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
ßigWolf
The Accomplished One / L'Accompli

Post by ßigWolf »

Kramden23 wrote:Thanls Icepilot for the more detailed response, I sincerely appreciate it. I do have a question about something you said though.....
GM have to set the coach sliders

Anymore responses to this thread would be greatley appreciated!
I think what it's better for you, it's to download the demo version.
You could play and manipulate yourself and make your own idea :)

On my side, I use FHL for 3 years. Know, I start soon my second season with the STHS and
never the idea to go back with the FHL come in my mind.

STHS and FHL .... it's Day and Night.

A couple of option we have with STHS (And they all working)

- Gm could made there line for 10 game in advance
- Gm could made offer to unassign player
- You could block player who play in the first ans second line
- More Stats
- etc ...

Try it with the demo version.
Everyone I know who made the switch doesn't regret this move.
Ligue de Hockey Simulée du Québec
www.lhsquebec.com
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

Here is a link to show most of the options for the STHS, See how many of these are not in the FHL:

http://sths.simont.info/Features_En.php
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Again I thank you guys for additional input.

I think what it's better for you, it's to download the demo version.
You could play and manipulate yourself and make your own idea
I actually did that and have been trying to mess around with it. The only problem is that it doesn't save (and understandably so) so everytime I want to try and mess with it I have to put everything "back together" and that can be somewhat tedious.

As well, since you can't save and/or output the league file, it's kind of hard to get an idea of what it's like on the side of a GM, because I have nothing to load into the client file.

I tried downloading league files from some leagues (so I can check out the functionality of the client), but I didn't have access to the coach options (as described above by Icepilot), but maybe that's because it wasn't "my team"? :?

Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

Well if your downloading client files from other leagues then you should be loading those in the GM Client program instead of the STHS sim program and choosing any team.

Though you are still able to play with the coach sliders in the STHS sim program when you are choosing any team. That's where i do my lines as i am the commish of the league.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Icepilot wrote:Well if your downloading client files from other leagues then you should be loading those in the GM Client program instead of the STHS sim program and choosing any team.
Yeah that's exactly what I did. I loaded them into the client program, as if I were a GM. But it would only show the coaches name, no option to adjust anything though. I'll just keep messing around with it.

Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

The name of the tab was changed from Coach to Strategy, Maybe that's why you can't find it.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Icepilot wrote:The name of the tab was changed from Coach to Strategy, Maybe that's why you can't find it.
Ahh, thank you, I finally found it. Very cool option! While we're kind of on the subject, from the features page.....
Coach can pull goalie at the end of game
Where would I find this option? I can see where you can set to have a goalie pulled based on goals against or SV%, but not for the end of the game.

Thanks.....

Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

I believe the sim automatically pulls the goaltender when a team is down 1 goal and there is 1 minute left in the game.