Questions about releasing a player

This forum is for league commissioners seeking advice when it comes to league related issues; rules, free agency system etc. / Ce forum devrait être utilisé par les commissaires qui cherches des conseils pour les aider à rouler leur ligue; règlements, systême agent libre etc.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Questions about releasing a player

Post by Kramden23 »

When you release a player from a team it asks what percent of the players salary will the team still have to pay. My question is, does this count against the cap?

To better explain.....Brian Gionta makes 4mil, I release him and agree to pay 50% of his salary. Do I now have 4mil extra in cap room, or 2mil extra in cap room (because I'm still paying 50%) once he is removed from my roster?

Also, if it doesnt count against the cap, then what does it infact count against, the money you are still paying him that is.

Also, is there a way to keep track of all of the players you might have released from your team and are still responsible for paying part of their contract?

Also, if you release a player and pay part of his contract, but then another team signs him, do you still pay part of his contract?

And lastly, do players on the unassigned list have 1 contract year removed after the season is over? The reason I ask is because say I release Brian Gionta who has 4 years left and agree to pay half his salary, if he sits on unassigned, yet years are never removed from his contract, then you'd be paying forever.

I hope all those questions made sense :?
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Re: Questions about releasing a player

Post by Icepilot »

I don't think the player who is released counts towards your cap.

All you pay is what he is owed for the remainder of the season.

This money comes out of the team finances.

And i don't think players on the unassigned list will lose a year on a contract for the reason is these players are not under contract, If you were to assign him to a team you can manually edit his contract length.
Kramden23
The Addict / Le Drogué

Post by Kramden23 »

Icepilot wrote:I don't think the player who is released counts towards your cap.

All you pay is what he is owed for the remainder of the season.

This money comes out of the team finances.

And i don't think players on the unassigned list will lose a year on a contract for the reason is these players are not under contract, If you were to assign him to a team you can manually edit his contract length.
Hey thanks for clearing that all up for me!

There should be an option to have a % of a released players salary count against the cap, either until the season is over or another team picks him up, not just taken out of the team finances.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Post by SimonT »

As IcePilot said and I can confirm, right now, the release of a player only impact your finance. It doesn't happen the salary cap because the SalaryCap is pretty simple right now (The sum of all player salaries at this current time without looking at the past).
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English Manual - Manuel Français
shamrocks
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by shamrocks »

So by sending players to minors or calling players from minors, how does this affect the teams salary in regards to the salary cap.
Say Boston are maxed out with a team salary of 50.3 Million, which happens to be the Salary cap as well.
A few scenerios to consider:
NOTE: Lets forget about income from ticket prices and stuff. We are just going by a team having $50,300,000 in Revenue (I guess is the terminology) and the salary cap is $50,300,000.

1. T.Thomas ($1,100,000) is sent to minors and Rask ($3,200,000) is called up. Farm salaries are set to 25% of pro salary (so Thomas in minors will be $275,000 and Rasks minor salary was $800,000. If the team starts out with a bank roll of exactly that of the Salary Cap, how does this roster change affect a teams salary.
2. M.Ryder ($4,000,000) gets traded to Detroit for Lidstrom ($7,450,000). Ryder has played 42 games with Boston this year. How does this affect the teams salary?
3. M.Ryder ($4,000,000) gets traded to Calgary for T.Bertuzzi ($1,950,000). Does it matter how many games this season Ryder has played with Boston before the trade? How does this trade influence the Teams Salary?
4. Ryder gets injured at game 20 and doesn't play the rest of the season, and a minor leaguer (Wheeler) is called up who is on $2,825,000 pro salary.

Thanks.
STHS Version 3.4.0.0
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Right now, the salary cap is stupid. It's based your year salary and your player current status (Pro or Farm).
-SimonT
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

I think many GM's are confused on how the salary cap is used in the STHS.

It is very easy to understand.

You set a cap amount for the league. Let's make is easy $50 million.
Yo take all your pro players salary and add them up. If you come up with anything under $50 million total then you are ok, Anything over that amount and the commish won't be able to sim.
You can also include the coach salary into the pro cap and even add the farm salary in the pro cap. These are options.

There are also options for minimum player salary for pro & farm as well as maximum player salary for pro & farm.

So assuming the league has the farm set @ 10% pro salary a pro player being paid $3 mill per year will make $300k on the farm.

I don't think it is possible or even an option to have the exact salary structure as the NHL intergrated into the STHS as too many GM's would have a hard time understanding and following those rules.

So having a simple salary cap makes life easy on all the commish GM's.
shamrocks
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by shamrocks »

So if I understand this correctly, if I have 22 players on Pro Roster (each at 1,000,000 salary) = $22,000,000.
I have 10 players on Farm Roster (each at 1,000,000 x 10% = 100,000) = $1,000,000
So my team salary would be at Start of Season $23,000,000?

If this is the case, couldn't I just have 20 players on Pro roster and 12 in farm to say $1,800,000?
STHS Version 3.4.0.0
Icepilot
Moderator / Modérateur

Post by Icepilot »

shamrocks wrote:So if I understand this correctly, if I have 22 players on Pro Roster (each at 1,000,000 salary) = $22,000,000.
I have 10 players on Farm Roster (each at 1,000,000 x 10% = 100,000) = $1,000,000

If this is the case, couldn't I just have 20 players on Pro roster and 12 in farm to say $1,800,000?

Not really, It depends on what options you have checked off.

There are two options that can be on or off.

Farm Salary Counts Towards Pro Cap
Coach Salary Counts Towards Pro Cap
Or something along those lines as i am not in front of the sim right now.

If both are un-checked then the famr & coach salary DO NOT COUNT towards the pro cap.
If they are checked then the DO COUNT towards the cap.

So if you only check off the coach on, your 22 players making 1 million each would give you a pro cap hit of $22 million. And if you coach makes $750k then the total cap hit will be $22,750,000.
shamrocks
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by shamrocks »

shamrocks wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, if I have 22 players on Pro Roster (each at 1,000,000 salary) = $22,000,000.

The Coach's salary is not included, but the Farm salary is, so how does it work now?
STHS Version 3.4.0.0
shamrocks
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by shamrocks »

Bump
STHS Version 3.4.0.0
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Total of Pro Players Salaries + (Total ot Farm Player Salaries * Farm Salary % option)
-SimonT