Salary Cap? How Does it Work in V2?

Any questions related to version 2 or version 3 should be ask here. / Toutes les questions sur la version 2 ou la version 3 devraient être demandées ici.
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Salary Cap? How Does it Work in V2?

Post by Violent Ed »

I am curious as to how it works in V2. I have a couple of teams that are clearly over my $46.2mil cap. They are still able to save lines even though they are over the cap. Now I ask, what number does the sim use to determine a teams cap number?

I have my league set to the following:

Fixed value of $46.2mil
I also have stop simulation on payroll error checked.

I need to now how this works so I can explain it to my GM's cause I can see a problem if teams are allowed to go over the cap.

Thanks.
SimonT
STHS Owner / Propriétaire du STHS

Re: Salary Cap? How Does it Work in V2?

Post by SimonT »

Same that in NHL. If in the 50% of the season, you were 2 millions under the cap, in the rest of season, you can be over the 2 millions cap.

Calculation is : Salaries Already Paid to Players + (Expense per Game for next game X Game Remaining)
-SimonT
Forum Administrator / Administrateur du Forum
STHS Owner / Propriètaire du STHS
English V2 & V3 Manual - Manuel V2 & V3 Français
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

This confuses me a bit. So from what I understand here is that the payroll number the client gives you is not what to go by as far as cap numbers?

It does not use a per game cap but a seasonal cap?

Where can I find the correct cap number for each team?

I am trying to understand this, but just can't seem to wrap my head around it.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Do you understand the salary cap of the NHL right now?
-SimonT
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

Yes I do. But it seems like in the sim things are different.

For instance, I have a team trying to send a player to the farm, must clear waivers first, but his salary is not removed from the pro payroll making it so this team can not save lines because he will be over the cap no matter what the team does. I am just trying to figure this out because it seems to be a problem with the new build again.
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

This same team has used 0.9.4 and was able to send Hilbert to waivers thus removing his salary from pro payroll. In 0.9.5, the salary stays on the payroll. I believe in the NHL the players salary is removed from payroll when he is placed on waivers. Needless to say, it was like that in all the previous builds before 0.9.5.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

I'll check it out for next build.
-SimonT
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

SimonT wrote:I'll check it out for next build.
OK

But I must say it is quite debilitating to the league and the GM's. It will and does cause cap issues. Any solution for the time being I may be able to implement to help with this?

I just want to reiterate that this is new to this build. It did not happen in 0.9.4 for the client and 0.9.3 for the sim.
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Technically, the concept is not new to 0.9.4 of this build but the code has change in this build.
-SimonT
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

OK?

I am not very literate in computer stuff like code and all, so I gotta say I have no idea what you mean. Sorry. If I sound like a jerk, I am truly sorry, I am just trying to understand how this works so I can make the proper adjustments if need be.

Thanks.
starfrit
The SuperStar

Post by starfrit »

Simon, I think ViolentEd is in the same dilema as I am as we discused in our french topic. We don't understand the finance page and hot to know exactly how can we spend per games

From the NHL rulebook

Counting the Cap:

Team salary expenditures are calculated on a daily basis from the first day to the final day of the NHL regular season.
-- In the sim, it is calculated on a game basis. Already pointed that out in one of my other topics

A team is in compliance if it has not already exceeded the cap for the season, and if it could carry its current roster without exceeding the cap at the end of the season.
-- I think that it is calculated correctly in the sim except for the daily vs game basis. If I understand correctly, a team could play a game over the salary cap, but if a team cannot play under the salary cap until the end of the season (Estimated season payroll in the sim), then the team is considered over the cap. So basicly, the sim should say that the team is over the salary cap, what it does not do at the moment. Also, I still don't understand how the cap is calculated in the sim, as I have been under the cap about 6M for 50 games, but I have a Estimate Under Maximum Payroll of -$3,047,928 without any major injuries all season long. How can I be over the salary cap playing 5-6M under all season long ? I have only 2 teams in my league wich have a positive estimate, even teams wich are near the salary floor have a negative estimate. This is not logical. I have a Current Payroll of $32,752,176 and salary left to pay is $17,470,428, so my Estimate season payroll should be $50,222,604 not $59,747,928 like it shows now and Estimate Under Maximum Payroll should be $7,377,396. What I also know, take the Flames example from last season, they had to play a few games with 17 players because they would have busted the salary cap at the end of the season. Unfortunatly, we cannot do that in the sim unless we can have a maximum numbers of players dressed in the game, but with no minimum.

Each year of an NHL player contract, the salary earned contributes to the team's "cap hit". The basic cap hit of a contract for each year it is effective is the total money a player will earn in regular salary over the life of the contract divided by the number of years it is effective. This, in theory, prevents a team from paying a player different amounts each year in order to load his cap hit in years in which the team has more cap room. Teams still use this practice, however, for other reasons. Performance bonuses also count towards the cap, but there is a percentage a team is allowed to go over the cap in order to pay bonuses. A team must still factor in possible bonus payments, however, which could go over that percentage.
-- We should have a cap hit in the sim as well

Counted against the cap: All players on the active roster, injured reserve or the long-term injured list. Players who have left the team on a contract buyout, according to a formula that charges a percentage of the buyout against the cap. Salary for players sent to the minors, under most circumstances, do not count towards the cap while they are there. If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to (or less than) that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap. If the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room; however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap.
-- Do we have that in the sim ?

Not counted against the cap?: Players assigned to the minors or returned to junior hockey after signing an NHL contract.
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

I'll take a look at in next days, weeks.
-SimonT
starfrit
The SuperStar

Post by starfrit »

Sans vouloir mettre de pression, car je sais qu'on a tous notre horaire du temps chargé, ceci est quand même assez majeur.

merci beaucoup, ton travail est très apprécié !
Martin poitras
STHS Beta Testers
Commissaire AHSQ, DG San Jose
http://www.ahsq.ca
http://www.goaliesarchive.com
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

La V2 est encore instable et j'ai dis dès le début que le support technique sera limité jusqu'à la version finale. Peu importe le quand je vais regarder ça, je ne vais pas sortir une nouvelle build d'ici la fin du mois, début Mars.
-SimonT
Violent Ed
The Crazy / Le Fou

Post by Violent Ed »

Any way we can keep this going in English? Kinda tough to follow when you don't speak french and the online converters SUCK.

Thanks.